6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Lurking - Chevy guy

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:38 PM
SWDoodle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lurking - Chevy guy

Hey guys found this website and have read some pretty good info. Here's the deal. I am the current owner of a 2005 Chevrolet 2500HD with the 6.0. Has been an outstanding pickup with no trouble. I have several friends that have gotten new HD's in the past few months and I have the "urge" to trade up to a new HD. I've been doing a lot of reading the past few weeks on all three 3/4 ton HD's that are available and am going to go gas. I would love to have a diesel, I just can't justify it for the miles I drive and limited heavy towing I do. Maybe 8-10 times a year I haul cattle in a 24' aluminum stock trailer and gross weight is around 20-23,000. I live in flat country so the 6.0 can do it, but it's probably not smart. I have always had GM products, but I think I want a change even though I think the 6.0 is just fine. And the new 2011 Fords looks are growing on me.

After all that, the main reason for the post is finding out more "real-world" information about the new 6.2 in the F250/350 SRW. Honestly other than this site and the pickuptruck.com article, there just isn't much out there. Even locally most of the new 2011 Ford HD's around here are diesels. I rarely see a 6.2 on the lots either unless it's a WT. From what I"ve read they appear to be a solid platform. I know it will be a while before some miles get racked up on these 6.2's but I was just wanting to be directed either here or other sites for more information. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
take a test drive in a 6.2

trust me that will seal the deal and make you buy a Ford..

its considerably more heavy duty then whats built into a GMC truck...

Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SWDoodle, you seem like a real intelligent person. As was mentioned, drive one, let us know how you like it. I recently went on a mission to find the right diesel for me as I'm planning on upgrading to a diesel as my next truck. I drove them all, and I'll be honest, the Chevrolet dissappointed me the most, and I'd expected it to blow me away due to all the hype I hear/read about them.

I think you'll like the 6.2.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

If we can speak at this point (since the 6.2 is new) I think you should be fine - if not verry happy.. I pull a little more frequently than you - but to give you an example - my heaviest trailer is a equipment trailer with diesel/ compressor/tools + skid steer/brush cutting attachments etc..17k+truck -f250.... so the cattle trailers are pretty light..that is pretty much weekly ...

6.2 can pull the crap out of it.... no problem...yes - occasionally in the pasture I need the torque of the diesel but the 6.2 is a hell of a motor..but that is west tx with steep hills & big loads.. get the 4.30's the dealers don't tend to carry them x-cept in farm ranch areas..

Old 10-20-2010, 08:24 PM
SWDoodle
New User
Originally Posted by 96sherm
SWDoodle, you seem like a real intelligent person. As was mentioned, drive one, let us know how you like it. I recently went on a mission to find the right diesel for me as I'm planning on upgrading to a diesel as my next truck. I drove them all, and I'll be honest, the Chevrolet dissappointed me the most, and I'd expected it to blow me away due to all the hype I hear/read about them.

I think you'll like the 6.2.
I don't know how intlligent I am, but I do a lot of research before I buy about anything. Really about the only thing that scares me some about the new 6.2 is potential problems down the road. The old 5.4 and 6.8 were pretty bulletproof and developed a strong following over time. Likewise the 6.0 has been terrific as well. I guess I would expect the 6.2 to have the same level of reliability, but there is still some anxiety there, especially after having no problems with my current HD. I guess I'm not one that keeps a vehilce till it falls apart, but don't buy one every year either.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:28 PM
SWDoodle
New User
Originally Posted by Byram
If we can speak at this point (since the 6.2 is new) I think you should be fine - if not verry happy.. I pull a little more frequently than you - but to give you an example - my heaviest trailer is a equipment trailer with diesel/ compressor/tools + skid steer/brush cutting attachments etc..17k+truck -f250.... so the cattle trailers are pretty light..that is pretty much weekly ...

6.2 can pull the crap out of it.... no problem...yes - occasionally in the pasture I need the torque of the diesel but the 6.2 is a hell of a motor..but that is west tx with steep hills & big loads.. get the 4.30's the dealers don't tend to carry them x-cept in farm ranch areas..

Ditto on the 4.30's. With every pickup I've ever had I've always got the lowest gears I could get. The mileage difference in a gas platform will be minimal. In a diesel it can make a difference, because of the higher tq at low rpm. I've noticed that almost all I've found are 3.73's so 4.30's would probably have to be special ordered.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Ok - At least you are realistic...

1st year out - maybe will have some issues - but I got about 6-7K & hopefully that will tell the trouble - but who can say?

I had a 6.8 for almost 200K & lost one COP & it was a pretty early 6.8-'01 maybe I am lucky

But we thrash them pretty hard & I hope that the 6.2 will last...

Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 PM
SWDoodle
New User
Originally Posted by Byram
Ok - At least you are realistic...

1st year out - maybe will have some issues - but I got about 6-7K & hopefully that will tell the trouble - but who can say?

I had a 6.8 for almost 200K & lost one COP & it was a pretty early 6.8-'01 maybe I am lucky

But we thrash them pretty hard & I hope that the 6.2 will last...

Yeah we used to have a pair of 1999 F250 V10's at our ranch when they first came out. I have to admit, they were dogs (maybe they were lemons I dunno) but they got abused BIG time by hired hands and such. I felt so sorry for the last we one we just recently sold. It had 115K on it and it looked like it had 315K on it. It had a ticking noise coming from the engine, the tranny slipped some, and it got 5 mpg, but it was still running. We sold to it a guy for $4500 and he drove it for a year before selling it. That poor pickup. I don't treat my stuff like that though. I am a freak about keeping good maintainance.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 PM
dunbar15
Senior User
soon to be new 6.2 owner

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that these motors arent completely new, werent they used in the sport F150's ? Lightning maybe ? I just sold my 2000 F350, great truck but starting to rust and didnt want to put alot of money into it, it is a 7.3 and going back to gas, had a 99 F250 gas 5.4 before and felt it was underpowered. Someone please educate me and the starter of the thread on this motor. Even if it is new I trust ford tested the crap out of it, as they cant have another problem engine like they did in the early 6.0's.. If I was loaded I would have bought another diesel but I'm not and cant take the risk of costly repairs after the diesel is out of warranty.. Hope to have my CC short bed xlt 6.2 within next 2 weeks, ordered it..

Old 10-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Evan92
Senior User
This engine was never used in the Lightning. It was available late MY10 for the Raptor but in a different configuration (different cam, tune, etc) where it was more apt for a sporty truck that wasn't really made to tow or haul a lot of weight. It's a modular engine so it is in the same family as the 5.4 and the 4.6, but comparing it to the MY99 5.4 is a little ridiculous considering the heads are different (2V vs. 3V) and the changes in tuning in the last 11-12 years.