Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

"stuck" throttle

Old 10-15-2010, 09:37 AM
boulderbronco
Senior User
boulderbronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
"stuck" throttle

I have had this problem for about a year now but the dealer does not believe me. It seems it's happening more frequently now (probably on the order of 3-5 times a week.)
It happens in reverse and drive. I'll hit the gas and let off but the throttle stays high. It's not so bad to the point it's dangerous, as long as I'm not a moron. But it happens alot. It only happens on light throttle, like moving the truck forward a few feet or something like that. I have to quickly hit the brake and move the shifter to neutral for it to go back down. It does not rev that high but it certainly does it. I would say it goes to about 1500 RPM. Again it's not so bad it's dangerous but it's happening more frequently. Anyone have this issue?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Bounds-Electric
FORD USER
Bounds-Electric is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check floor mats I had this happen

Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 AM
boulderbronco
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bounds-Electric View Post
Check floor mats I had this happen
Nope. No floor mats and the liner is not even close to the pedal.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:58 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
When backing up to hook to trailers sometimes I need to give it just a nudge. So I will tap the throttle and it will bump up in rpms.

After I tap it and it moves just a pinch I put it in park.

the rpms take a second or two to come back down sometimes. I think that is what you are decribing.

I think it is programming/emissions related strategy. I find it no big deal or a problem.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:32 PM
jlphelan1310
New User
jlphelan1310 is starting off with a positive reputation.
08 6.4 throttle problems

I have an 08 F250 6.4 that the throttle pedal has dissapeared on me twice while taking off from a stop. The first time it happened I thought I had did something wrong. (like the floor mat got hung up or something.) But the second time there were 3 other people in the truck with me and the throttle was actually all the way to the floorboard. Both times this happened the RPM's went to about 4400 and I had to put it in neutral and turn off the engine. Then the pedal finally came off the floor. SCARY... Ford dealer says that there isn't a problem!!!! Finally convinced them that there is a problem now I am without my truck waiting for an engineer to come out from Ford HQ to look at it.

Any one else having this issue. Ford says there are no other complaints about this...

HELP...

Old 10-15-2010, 06:40 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by jlphelan1310 View Post
I have an 08 F250 6.4 that the throttle pedal has dissapeared on me twice while taking off from a stop. The first time it happened I thought I had did something wrong. (like the floor mat got hung up or something.) But the second time there were 3 other people in the truck with me and the throttle was actually all the way to the floorboard. Both times this happened the RPM's went to about 4400 and I had to put it in neutral and turn off the engine. Then the pedal finally came off the floor. SCARY... Ford dealer says that there isn't a problem!!!! Finally convinced them that there is a problem now I am without my truck waiting for an engineer to come out from Ford HQ to look at it.

Any one else having this issue. Ford says there are no other complaints about this...

HELP...
In your case all that had to do with check the PCM. There will be a code of those RPMS.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:45 PM
jlphelan1310
New User
jlphelan1310 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It did have the overspeed code but nothing else. Ford Garage is telling me that this is impossible to have happen as there are too many safety factors involved. "isn't that what toyota said".

Old 10-15-2010, 10:17 PM
fg250
Elder User
fg250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
my truck does the same thing, if I'm just backing up or going forward at an idle and lightly stab the throttle, it'll stay up on a high idle. it goes back down after a few seconds, but it's definately weird.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:48 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
You guys are describing something I had experience with too. I think on the 6.4 that if you are in the right conditions, you can tap the throttle and make it go into elevated idle while in R or D. It felt to me like it was supposed to do that so you can "idle" your way around if you want.

Usually happened to me when hooking up to a trailer, normal idle sometimes is not enough to move the truck in gravel or unpaved land. One of those things I never really thought about. I wonder if it is actually a strategy programmed into the PCM?

Old 10-16-2010, 10:22 AM
boulderbronco
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix View Post
When backing up to hook to trailers sometimes I need to give it just a nudge. So I will tap the throttle and it will bump up in rpms.

After I tap it and it moves just a pinch I put it in park.

the rpms take a second or two to come back down sometimes. I think that is what you are decribing.

I think it is programming/emissions related strategy. I find it no big deal or a problem.
Thats pretty close. But I would say it's more concerning than that. It is definatly something that could be dangerous if not paying attention. I'll have to really pay attention next time it happens to see exactly what happens.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:15 PM
chiro1
New User
chiro1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2010 250 super duty and I had the same exact problem. I had the electronic sensor on the gas pedal replaced and it fixed the problem. I would have a ford engineer come out and look at it.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 PM
reoking
New User
reoking is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2008 F-250 that has had the exact same "stuck accelerator" issue. And of course, the dealer cannot find anything wrong with the truck, nor can we recreate the "out of control" acceleration on demand. Has anyone heard that Ford is acknowledging that there is an issue out there and has an idea?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 AM
astamp78
Senior User
astamp78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have had that happen a few times...seems to always be when backing out of the driveway. Probably happened a half dozen times. Its never been dangerous...but it is noticeable. When I took my foot off the gas, its like it left me foot right where it was.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Fasttrax
Junior User
Fasttrax is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stuck accelerator

I had part #8c3z9725a pedal assembly replaced on my 05 F350 after almost plowing in the back of a sedan loaded with kids. Friends at LHM ford in Salt Lake took care of me after Ford would do nothing at 55K miles on 5/5/2011. It happened once before and had to go to neutral and shut it down to reset. Filed a letter with the National Highway safety for what it was worth. The original assembly was built by the same factory the Toyota's was in, the new assembly was a complete different style except for the mounting holes.

I was mentally scarred after seeing the kids faces ahead of me. The truck had went from about 30 miles an hour to about 65+ before I could do anything.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Papa Tiger
Posting Guru
Papa Tiger has a very good reputation on FTE.Papa Tiger has a very good reputation on FTE.Papa Tiger has a very good reputation on FTE.
Seems this is a fairly common happening with the widespread usage of drive by wire systems. Look for codes, check UR electrical connections, change the accel module first than the throttle body.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "stuck" throttle

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: