Sponsored by:

Excursion won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:59 PM
leethal007
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Excursion won't start

first time it acted up truck started after it cooled down , and several other times I had the same outcome, last week it left me stranded and now it won't start at all, Not getting any fuel

Old 10-14-2010, 03:10 PM
baracade
Senior User
You will have to give us more info if you want any of us to try to help.
what year?
what engine?
any previous problems?
serviced lately?

Old 10-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Like baracade posted, we need a lot more info.

Diesel or gas?

If diesel, 7.3 or 6.0? If gas, 5.4 or 6.8?

Any mods? Completely stock? Any work done to it recently?

More specifics on when it happens, like were you towing (and if so, how heavy, conditions, etc), was it raining, etc.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 PM
leethal007
New User
2004 excursion gas v10 6.8

no problems until end of May ran to walmart about 5 miles away. Got back in to go home and wouldn't start. after about 1/2 hour of trying to figure out problem, it started and went home.

about two weeks later went on vacation. Drove to Norfolk virginia from Pa and parked it. Got off our cruise and drove home. Shut the vehicle off to use keys to get our mail and when i tried to start it it would only crank. Fuel pump was working but no go. Got family to tow to the house and a couple hours later went out to try it and it fired right up.

Ran great all summer no problems.

Last month took a road trip about 1 hour 15 minutes from home. Stopped to eat. Went out to leave and it wouldn't crank over. Unhooked the battery to reset computer. Didn't help. went and put more gas in tank. Only had 1/4 tank and almost filled it up. After 1 1/2-2 hours it finally started.

Also, when it tries to start all the gauges max out then go back to zero.

The final blow came this past weekend. Went camping and unhooked the camper, and shut it off. Went to leave and wouldn't start. Waited a few hours. No go. Next morning still nothing. Got towed home. And that was Saturday. Still won't turn over 5 days later.

Replaced Started relay today and still nothing. only other problem it has ever had, was the light sensor in the driver's side door sticks and sometimes the lights stay on and drain the battery.

Any help please!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:31 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Strange...All the other times when you turned the key, did the starter work or was it just dead. What's got me puzzled is the one time it cranked but won't turn over.

I was about to think it may be a neutral safety switch sticking and had to let it cool down so it popped back to position so you could start it?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:01 AM
perryg114
More Turbo
So the problem is only related to the starter not cranking?

Perry

Old 10-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by leethal007
2004 excursion gas v10 6.8

Replaced Started relay today and still nothing. only other problem it has ever had
So, when you try to start it, it acts like the battery is dead (just clicks), or does it act like it's out of gas?

Stewart

Old 10-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Your problem is the battery. Replace it and your problems will go away.

The "give away" is when you try and start it and the you get the gauge sweep.

Bad batteries do weird things. Just replace it.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
also have the alternator checked, sometimes it has a problem too which causes the battery to fail as well.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:25 PM
leethal007
New User
It always tries to start, it cranks but won't turn over. It's acting like it's not getting gas, but the fuel pump is working. That's why i'm, thinking electrical.

the first time back in May the reset button on the passenger side was up. i hit it, but it was awhile before it started. so I'm thinking that was a coincidence, because I keep checking it but haven't needed to hit that since.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Still won't turn over 5 days later.
It always tries to start, it cranks but won't turn over.
Your posts are confusing. I guess I always thought that "turn over" was the same as cranking.

Now I'm leaning to something else.

Are you 100% that you have proper fuel pressure at the fuel rail? Meaning: are you 100% sure that the fuel pump is working properly?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:14 PM
perryg114
More Turbo
It could be something with the antitheft system but since we don't get much detail other than it won't turn over it is hard to help him. We need the truck wisperer where is he.

Try removing one of the coil on plug (COP) units and attach and old spark plug to it and make sure it is grounded. Leave the connector on the COP and make sure the spark plug body is touching metal. Have someone crank it and see if you get spark. If the starter will not turn the engine over then probably it is the battery but since you said it is cranking (engine rotating) then it is not the battery. Check your fuses there is one that powers the coils and fuel injectors. If it is blown it will crank (engine rotating) but not start.

Perry

Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by perryg114
Check your fuses there is one that powers the coils and fuel injectors. If it is blown it will crank (engine rotating) but not start.

Perry
The funny thing is that it starts after it cools down for an hour or so. If the fuse is blown, then it would not start at all. Check the fuses anyway. Replace the battery and try again.

Have you changed the fuel filter?

Old 10-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Diamond-X
Junior User
"Cranks" and "turns over" are the same thing.

Does it crank? but just not run?

Turn the key on to the farthest position without cranking it over. Leave it there for a second or two, then turn it off. Do this 5 times and then try to start it.

This will raise the fuel pressure in the fuel rail, sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem.

You could also clean the leads to your battery if the voltage is causing problems.

Sears will check the charging system/battery for free.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 PM
coreygee
New User
my 2005 v-10 4wd did that last week, my mechanic said a vacuum line came loose , fixed problem in like 5 minutes.

today my ac compressor will not come on.....

Quick Reply: Excursion won't start