Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great that you solved the problem, thanks for posting the cure

Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Brokenchains
New User
Originally Posted by perryg114
It could be something with the antitheft system but since we don't get much detail other than it won't turn over it is hard to help him. We need the truck wisperer where is he.

Try removing one of the coil on plug (COP) units and attach and old spark plug to it and make sure it is grounded. Leave the connector on the COP and make sure the spark plug body is touching metal. Have someone crank it and see if you get spark. If the starter will not turn the engine over then probably it is the battery but since you said it is cranking (engine rotating) then it is not the battery. Check your fuses there is one that powers the coils and fuel injectors. If it is blown it will crank (engine rotating) but not start.

Perry
Hello. Did jh818 ever solve his problem?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Brokenchains
Hello. Did jh818 ever solve his problem?
I never had the problem. Only provided suggestions.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:29 AM
crazytwo
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cam or crank position sensor. If it happens close enough to a hose, wet down your sensor and see if it starts. I don't remember were the sensor is.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:40 AM
crazytwo
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oops, didn't realize how old the thread was.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Top mechanic
New User
Exclamation 2002 Ford Excursion wont start

This is a very typical problem with these trucks. The excursion is equipped with a passive anti theft system(pats). This unit stores codes even when the battery is disconnected for prolonged periods of time. This system disables the fuel delivery system as well as the ignition module. To fix this issue you need a obd2 scanner with (pats) ability and clear these codes from the (Pats) system. Things I would try is clear the codes and reprogram the ORIGINAL KEYS, You must have two keys to program more the instructions can be found online. If your turck is equipped with keyless entry make sure that when you press the unlock button the drivers door unlocks all the way, when you press the unlock button twice it should unlock all the doors again make sure the locks are coming up all the way if they are sticking when you attempt to enter the pats will disable the truck.
Also inside the ignition cylinder is a transponder ring that recieves the signal from the key if this ring is loose or malfunctions it can activate the pats. Things to look for are...is the theft light blinking rapidly, is there a clicking behind the dash where the headlight switch is.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:10 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
leethal007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
New User
Send Message User Lists
Last Activity: 10-15-2010 02:25 PM

I am sending reps on a fantastic "first" post to a 4-1/2 year old thread.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:18 AM
Jymn Edwards
New User
I know this tread is old, but I have been searching through everything looking for a fix to my Excursion suddenly not starting, here was my fix:

It was my key!

I just spent my entire Memorial Weekend Friday troubleshooting why my 2001 6.8L Limited Excursion will suddenly not start! It would only crank, like it was out of gas. Battery is strong.

Two years ago I had to replace the fuel pump and it's acting that way again!

I have tried listening for the fuel pump while turning the ignition on but only hear a slight mechanical "mmmm relentt" sound that lasts maybe .5 of a second.

I bit the bullet, dropped the tank and replaced the fuel filter inside the gas tank BY MYSELF (quite proud of that) but very frustrating to get it all back together 5 hours later and STILL NOTHING!!

I couple of years ago, we had Lowes cut us a chipped key. It does not get used often but I was using it today when I tired to pull my car out of the garage.

Now, I can sit in the car, the Lowes key will crank, but not fire and the original key will start it every time!

I hope your fix is as easy! This car has 160,000 and runs like a champ

I needed to spread the good news.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Jymn Edwards
I bit the bullet, dropped the tank and replaced the fuel filter inside the gas tank BY MYSELF (quite proud of that)
You should be, that's not an easy job to do by yourself.

Glad you found your problem and welcome to FTE!

Stewart

Old 01-04-2018, 02:55 PM
FSTBLL42
Cross-Country
Reviving odd cranking

Reviving an old thread and looking for some help. This is what I am dealing with. 2001 V10 Ex 2wd. it just cranks when trying to start, seems like i have good battery power. then when I jump it the thing turns right over and runs just fine?

Am I fighting a bad ground, bad battery, neutral safety? Just tried the 5 key cycle on / off with out cranking and that didn't change anything. Any advise would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you in advance

Travis

Old 01-04-2018, 03:05 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by FSTBLL42
Reviving an old thread and looking for some help. This is what I am dealing with. 2001 V10 Ex 2wd. it just cranks when trying to start, seems like i have good battery power. then when I jump it the thing turns right over and runs just fine?

Am I fighting a bad ground, bad battery, neutral safety? Just tried the 5 key cycle on / off with out cranking and that didn't change anything. Any advise would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you in advance

Travis
Take the battery out and get it tested. It's odd that it starts when jumped.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:11 PM
FSTBLL42
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by jh818
Take the battery out and get it tested. It's odd that it starts when jumped.
I thought the same thing. I will start by jumping it and taking it to the Autoparts store and having them check the battery and alternator as well.

Thank you,

Travis

Old 01-04-2018, 05:46 PM
FSTBLL42
Cross-Country
Just went to the auto parts store. Both the battery and alternator are running a top performance. Next I’m going to change the in-line fuel filter and see if that solves my problem. I’m not sure that it would be a fuel pump issue as the car does start once I jump it.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:30 PM
FSTBLL42
Cross-Country
So this weekend I tackled the Fuel pump. Once I was done with the removal and re-installation of the fuel pump, and prior to putting the tank back up in it's home I attempted to start the truck. I let the fuel pump kick in with 5 key no starts and then tried to turn it over... and just like that my problem was solved. So far so good on the 10 other times I have randomly went and started it.

Thank you for all your input and help. This site is awesome.

Quick Reply: Excursion won't start