Sponsored by: Moser

Power Deployable Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 PM
rt1980
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Deployable Running Boards

Has anyone or does anyone know if you can install the power deployable running boards that come on the Platinum model on a Lariat? (this would be done after I get the truck because it's not an option on the Lariat) I'm kind of hung up on having these running boards which I thought I was going to get on the Lariat Limited till I found out it's only available in Tri-coat white with black interior only. Tri-coat white I'm fine with but black interior not.

In a nut shell, because the Platinum is a Lariat does the Lariat have the wiring and computer controls in place for the running boards? I know there are some items like this that vehicles are wired for because it's easier to have it in place and not use it than build a different wiring harness for each model.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM
ajaj
Freshman User
Amp Research

If you order from electric step.com for about $1100.00 the boards come with its own module that installs near the battery and the harness extends down both sides of the frame rails with the RH side having an extra 4 wires that go thru the floorboards and wire into the smart elect box behind the right passenger kick panel. the rest of the wires just plug into the motors on the boards. Its actually a simple install.......even the 4 wires that trigger the boards come with positap connectors ....

Make sure you get AMP RESEARCH and not the import BESTOP ones.

good luck

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM
rt1980
New User
Originally Posted by ajaj
If you order from electric step.com for about $1100.00 the boards come with its own module that installs near the battery and the harness extends down both sides of the frame rails with the RH side having an extra 4 wires that go thru the floorboards and wire into the smart elect box behind the right passenger kick panel. the rest of the wires just plug into the motors on the boards. Its actually a simple install.......even the 4 wires that trigger the boards come with positap connectors ....

Make sure you get AMP RESEARCH and not the import BESTOP ones.

good luck
Thanks for the info.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
With the exception of snaking the wiring through the plastic under the cowl, and holding the steps while you bolt them to the swing arms, it is a one-man job. There is also an optional LED light kit to illuminate the steps at night. All-in-all a nice setup...way more easier to step into the cab than with the factory step bars.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM
jacknbella
Senior User
Be careful for what you ask for. Of all the kick-butt features my platinum came with, the deployable running boards have to be the worst engineering invention known to man. They are too friggin slow causing me to smack my shins more than a few times. They are also a pain in the rear to clean. I also have kids and they hate them too. If I were you, stick with the fixed boards and spend your money elsewhere. JMHO

Old 10-14-2010, 07:54 AM
2010PLATINUM
New User
I have been told there is a code(like turning off the seatbelt alarm)
to keep the running boards out or in.
Haven't done it but thought about doing it on my drivers side(turning them off)as they are slow and I am tall enough not to need them.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
I don't have a dog in this fight...I have an 03 Crew with factory runningboards. My biggest complaint with the boards was the amount of crud deposited on them in just normal driving (off road was horrible) UNTIL I installed the mudflaps all the way around. Man what a difference they make!

Just my 2 cintavos worth.

Joe

Old 10-14-2010, 08:05 AM
kbonnel
New User
Originally Posted by 2010PLATINUM
I have been told there is a code(like turning off the seatbelt alarm)
to keep the running boards out or in.
Haven't done it but thought about doing it on my drivers side(turning them off)as they are slow and I am tall enough not to need them.
If I remember correctly, this is just an option in the center messaging console. I believe there is an option for auto (default), on or off. Where on I think is to have the running boards always down, and off to have them up. (have to peek at the manual again) At least this was for the 2010 models.

Kimo

Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Ford_Pete
New User
The option in the DIC is useful when the truck is in park but even if you tell it to have the boards out, they go back under the truck when you start moving. It's a nice option to have when you're washing. I haven't found anything that lets me keep the boards out 100% of the time; parked & moving.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Trogar
New User
I am not sure where you live, but snow and ice in the winter are the bane of these steps. Particularly if the truck has a lift.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Ford_Pete
New User
No lift on the truck but I live in Ohio and I kept a very close eye on the snow and ice buildup on them last winter. I was knocking them clean almost every time I got in or out of the truck... Even with some huge buildup on them I never had any operational problems. One of the ealier posts mentioned mud flaps. I'll probably look into those for this winter.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
I have the Husky mud flaps on mine and didn't notice any issues during this past PA winter.

I doubt your Lariat is prewired for them but who knows. Like on my old 04 F150, I wanted to add the factory sub and amp but my truck was not prewired for it, but sometimes other owners did find the spare plug under their rear seat/carpet.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 PM
rt1980
New User
Well I'm ordering my truck monday. Getting the 6" angular step and see if I like it or not. If not I'll install the aftermarket deployable. Time will tell. Not getting exactly what I want because of Ford's stupid packages that can't be changed but I guess it's better than walking

Old 10-15-2010, 07:24 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Pete
The option in the DIC is useful when the truck is in park but even if you tell it to have the boards out, they go back under the truck when you start moving. It's a nice option to have when you're washing. I haven't found anything that lets me keep the boards out 100% of the time; parked & moving.
You could unplug the motor when they are out.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure about the Platinums, but my Amp Research steps allow me to open the door and then close it so it stays slightly ajar...the step stays down and the door is closed enough that you can spray off the boards w/o water entering the cab.

Quick Reply: Power Deployable Running Boards