1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 PM
thefordlane
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure Regulator

Hey guys i have an 01 ford ranger with a 4.0l liter and its starts hard. Im pretty sure its not the fuel pump because i can hear it cycle when i turn the key on. I also just replaced the fuel filter cuz i thought that it was the problem, but i did not help. So im wonder what the location of the fuel pressure regulator is to see if thats where my problem would be. Also what is the price of one, just curious. If anyone has any other ideas to what this problem might be please post.

Thanks,

Old 10-11-2010, 10:11 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure the fuel filter is oriented correctly. Arrow should point in direction of flow.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 PM
thefordlane
Senior User
Originally Posted by g_k50
Make sure the fuel filter is oriented correctly. Arrow should point in direction of flow.
Thanks but there is only one way this filter can on. There is 2 inlets(and they are diffrent connectors so you cant mix them up) and only one outlet.
Thanks though any advise helps.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:29 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
The fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail where the fuel return line heads back to the tank. Has a vacuum line on the top.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:32 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
you don't have a return to the tank then so you don't have a fuel pressure regulator, look for something else.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
fuel pressure is controlled by the fuel pressure regulator whick is mounted to the fuel pump bracket within the fuel tank.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 PM
thefordlane
Senior User
****ty, didnt reallly want to pull my tank. Thanks for the advice though, im pretty much a newb when it comes to newer pickups. And if ya wanna come change it for me your more that welcome. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks though,

Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 AM
martin_csr
Senior User
Did you check the fuel pressure?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:49 AM
thefordlane
Senior User
no i didnt i dont have acess to one.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Dobie1983
New User
Just take the bed off....4 or 6 star bolts and light connector....Much easier than trying to do the tank drop.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:07 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by thefordlane
Hey guys i have an 01 ford ranger with a 4.0l liter and its starts hard. Im pretty sure its not the fuel pump because i can hear it cycle when i turn the key on. I also just replaced the fuel filter cuz i thought that it was the problem, but i did not help. So im wonder what the location of the fuel pressure regulator is to see if thats where my problem would be. Also what is the price of one, just curious. If anyone has any other ideas to what this problem might be please post.

Thanks,
First check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail schrader valve, with a presure gauge.
Most autoparts stores have them in their "Loan-A-Tool" program, for a refundable deposit, if you don't have, or want to own one.

The fuel pressure should be 64 +/- 8psi.

On your year/model, the fuel pressure regulator is in the tank attached to the fuel pump assy, as has been said.

If you have to replace it, folks that have done so, say it's easier to unbolt the bed, fuel filler tube & disconnect the rear tail light connector, remove the tailgate to make things lighter & slide the bed back to rest on the rear tires, with the tailgate end on saw horses.

This allows access to the top of the fuel tank for easy pump removal, without having to drain & drop the tank, which can be dangerous & a pia!!!!

If the fuel pressure checks out ok, what kind of condition are the ignition wires & spark plugs in & whats their spark gap???? Excessive spark gap makes for a weak spark & hard starts. So too do worn loose fitting, split cracked, electrically leaky ignition cables.

So will a cold weak battery, thats putting out low voltage to the starter motor, fuel pump & ignition system, on a start.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:52 AM
thefordlane
Senior User
thanks guys for all the help. ill keep ypu updated, but were just in the middle of harvest so its kinda on the back burner right now.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 AM
jhawk7783
New User
similar problem; this engine (OHV) doesn't have a fuel pressure regulator downstream of fuel rail. replaced the fuel pump assembly (I had replaced the pump only, then found out that the pressure regulator is on the fuel pump assembly, fuel filter, double checked all fuses and relays, inertia switch and voltage to electrical connector just before fuel pump wiring harness. Pump comes on for one second with key on, engine off. Still no pressure at fuel rail.
Question: the fuel return lines that are left rear next to spare tire? nuts are rusted/stripped and I haven't removed the plastic support shelf. Is there some type of pressure regulator with these lines? thanks for any help.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by jhawk7783
similar problem; this engine (OHV) doesn't have a fuel pressure regulator downstream of fuel rail. replaced the fuel pump assembly (I had replaced the pump only, then found out that the pressure regulator is on the fuel pump assembly, fuel filter, double checked all fuses and relays, inertia switch and voltage to electrical connector just before fuel pump wiring harness. Pump comes on for one second with key on, engine off. Still no pressure at fuel rail.
Question: the fuel return lines that are left rear next to spare tire? nuts are rusted/stripped and I haven't removed the plastic support shelf. Is there some type of pressure regulator with these lines? thanks for any help.
Welcome to FTE.

Although your problem sounds similiar, it seems there may be enough differences that you should open a new thread, so you can get answers just for your particular problem/s.

Just go to this forums thread listing page, scroll down to find & click on the "start new thread" button.

Then cut & paste your above post & maybe add some more info, like year, body model, engine, tranny, miles/km on it & where you are on all due past & present scheduled maintenance items, as that info could help with the quality of the answers you'll recieve.