Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I got hosed. . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:01 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got hosed. . .

So. Ordering some valve cover bolts on ebay to replace the few that I dropped and cannot find. . . Suggested items show me valve cover replacement kit, including - (2x for all) gasket, UVCH, pigtail, and those wiring couplers. For only $75! Goodness me I think. There is only 1 left in stock. I better grab these just in case there isnt anything wrong (which after price comparison I figure there will be). So I order them. I sent the link to other people, they proceed to warn me not to put these on my truck, as they are *NOT* OEM. (I need new ones cuz I had the clips break on the harnesses and In my attempt to get going again I superglued the gasket on the pigtail and JB welded the whole assembly, thinkin, "When am I ever gonna need to get that out again?" Then I run into glow plug issues and need to test them, using that plug. GAH!.)

So anyhow I get ahold of the seller, unopened package mind you. And he wants me to pay shipping, PLUS a big restocking fee. So after Im done messing with this Im not getting enough back to cover my time/effort into it.

Also, this guy is claiming that "...In fact, these are superior to OEM, also you will not find OEM for the price you paid, as for those you spoke to, they obviously didnt buy ours." (quoted from his msg to me, and, in fact the people I talked to purchased the exact same product.)

So, my question is, if it were you, would you just throw em in the toolbox in case you ever run into needing them. Would you throw them on and see how long they last? Im kind of interested in that, cuz I would like to see if they truly are "superior to OEM", if they last 300,000 miles without any issue then they might be close to OEM. Or would you just toss em and eat the money? I mean I dont want to risk getting stranded cuz the electrical construction on these is crap. Mind you I would keep my current UVCH as I just put them in. So it would just be the gasket/pigtail deal.

Here they are if you wanna check them out.

98-03 Powerstroke 7.3L Valve Cover Gasket w/Fuel Injector Glow Plug Harness Pair | eBay

Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
For starters - never ever ever crimped butt connectors [LINK]. Other than that, I don't see the harm in using the kit. Pulling VCs is nowhere near the disaster of pulling heads, so it's not the end of the world if there is a long-term reliability issue. Just make sure you ohm out the connectors and they aren't out of sequence (UVCH link in my signature below).

Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I'd use it since I bought it.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:56 AM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tugly
For starters - never ever ever crimped butt connectors [[URL="https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1399586-vccp-valve-cover-connector-pigtail.html"]LINK]. Other than that, I don't see the harm in using the kit. Pulling VCs is nowhere near the disaster of pulling heads, so it's not the end of the world if there is a long-term reliability issue. Just make sure you ohm out the connectors and they aren't out of sequence (UVCH link in my signature below).
I did not think about ohm-ing it. Thanks for the heads up on butt connectors.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I'd use it since I bought it.
ya I guess I will just ride it out and see how far we get.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:23 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by P4IN COMM4NDO
...the seller...wants me to pay shipping...
...PLUS a restocking fee...
From sellers ad
Returns:
30 days money back, buyer pays return shipping, 20% restocking fee

I do not want to sound cold to you...but...
... buyer paying return shipping and a restocking fee is clearly stated in the ad...
I am missing the part where you got hosed?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:32 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
No it was stated I just did not realize it. . . More or less I hosed myself haha

i got the shrink wrap. But nobody had those parallel connectors you said to use Rich. One guy tried to give me more butt connectors, I told him I wasn't supposed to use them. I had to make something up. I couldn't just tell him Tugly said not to haha. Should I order some? Or one guy who actually knew what I was talking about, suggested I just cut the insulation off of the butt connectors I have and using the metal from those? Any reason that wouldn't work?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I know some people don't care for the butt connectors, with good reason. But if you use the correct ratcheting crimping tool and heat shrink then success can be had.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:52 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 97-psd
I know some people don't care for the butt connectors, with good reason. But if you use the correct ratcheting crimping tool and heat shrink then success can be had.
You are absolutely correct, but I have cleaned up too many sad crimps to have faith that more than a very few people have the right tools and know-how to use them properly. It takes training, and crimp college is not a popular course. One also needs the proper butt connectors, and those in the package are the most likely to fail.

Parallel connectors with shrink tubing are far more reliable, even with mediocre crimping tools/skills. Throw some solder in there and it's there forever and ever, baby.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:13 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
If I was going to solder I would just solder the wires together and heat shrink the connection. And don't forget to slide the heat shrink up a wire before soldering or it's

Old 02-22-2017, 10:33 AM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Alright. Well I'm not the best at crimping those suckers. So stripping the insulation will not work??? Looking on amazon didn't see any parallel connectors, eBay has em but only in 10-12 ga or 14-16 ga. Which would you suggest? And I can just use a propane torch on the heat shrink right?

Old 02-23-2017, 01:01 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A little light grease will make the crimp connection more secure-keeps out moisture. If you use heat shrink with the built in glue, it seals better as well.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:06 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
If you click that link in my first post, you'll have everything you need.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:45 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
I missed the link the first time around as well. Nice work as always Rich. reps sent

Old 02-23-2017, 10:43 PM
bigreentruck
Tuned
No propane torch on heat shrink.
You won't like the outcome. Heat gun with care.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:58 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I use everything from matches to Bic lighters to propane torches to heat guns - I've had to make do too many times. The trick is to never use a flame on the heat shrink - it bubbles and/or bursts. You want the radiant heat from your heat source.

Quick Reply: I got hosed. . .