1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the gun guys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 04:10 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
Question for the gun guys...

Hey all...so I've got about 6k now on my 16 F250 ccsb Lariat 4x4 and I'm getting really familiar with the truck. the one thing I'm having a hard time with is where to put my truck gun. I travel with a Mossberg 500 pistol grip 12ga under the driver side rear seat and I also like to keep my Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm up front with me however I can't find the right spot for it. The glove box in this truck is a joke and the bottom of the center console is enormous. it does fit in the removable change basket thingy thats in the center console fairly well however far from exact fit.

How do you guys carry your truck guns?

Old 12-01-2016, 04:37 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
Only gun I have in a car/truck is on my person. If I have to leave it in the car/truck it's locked in the console or in a lock case.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
That's what I like about the console is that I can lock it just like I can lock the shotty under the rear seat. I just don't like the fit of the gun inside of the console. perhaps a smaller framed single stack would fit better.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:54 PM
KCBS Smoker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've thought of putting a layer of pick and pluck foam in the bottom of the console that my 9mm will fit right into.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:56 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
I put mine where local law requires....in a locked box...not in the drivers compartment...no ammo in the box. I have a metal lockable truckbed cover that you can drive an ATV on top of.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
So in an emergency one is expected to unlock the container, retrieve the ammunition from a different location and finally, load the weapon??

Old 12-01-2016, 06:03 PM
KCBS Smoker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I put mine where local law requires...
That is a great point - check your state's law. In Virginia, as of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary [although I have one] when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel. The term “secured” as used does not require the compartment to be locked. OAG opinion 11-111.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I put mine where local law requires....in a locked box...not in the drivers compartment...no ammo in the box. I have a metal lockable truckbed cover that you can drive an ATV on top of.
you must live in a blue state...my condolences...

Old 12-01-2016, 07:11 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Mine is always within reach...that could be several places!

Old 12-01-2016, 07:18 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
So in an emergency one is expected to unlock the container, retrieve the ammunition from a different location and finally, load the weapon??
yes, or as it commonly happens...the victim disarms the assalient...but the assailent pulls out another waepon forcing the victim to shoot the assailent with the assailents initial gun.

cough, cough, cough

Old 12-01-2016, 07:40 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I am sooooo jealous that you guys can pack handguns!!! Not allowed up here in Canada! I am a hunter/ shooter and love the short weapons but we are only allowed to transport to and shoot at a range. I sold all mine now because I didn't follow those rules very closely and getting caught would be big trouble. I wish I had your problem of where to put one! Mine were always well hidden!

Old 12-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Originally Posted by eberlestock
I am sooooo jealous that you guys can pack handguns!!! Not allowed up here in Canada! I am a hunter/ shooter and love the short weapons but we are only allowed to transport to and shoot at a range. I sold all mine now because I didn't follow those rules very closely and getting caught would be big trouble. I wish I had your problem of where to put one! Mine were always well hidden!
I'm in Florida which is a very gun friendly state...not the most gun friendly state in the nation but certaintly fairly high on the list. in Florida you don't even need a concealed weapons license to carry in your vehicle so long as the weapon is in cased and out of immediate reach...glove box, console, etc. I live in a rural area where everybody knows everybody is packing....and just take a guess at how low the crime rate is...but I digress...

in my maxima my snub nose ruger sp101 357 mag fits in the bottom of the console PERFECTLY. it's almost as if the console was designed for the gun! so I'm coming from that sort of perfect fit and confort to my super duty which is enormous in every facet except the glove box and now the fit isn't so perfect. however someone above mentioned a foam cutout and I may try that.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:06 PM
AZLugz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1911 on the hip and 9mm locked under back seat. On the bike the 1911 is in a shoulder holster, for stealth mode I go with the snub 38 in a shoulder holster in cooler months

Old 12-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Growing up in, and coming from a state (AZ) where open carry (must be in plain sight) was always allowed, I used to just lay my pistol on the front dash, right in front of the steering wheel. Kind of a "Hello there, don't screw with me and we'll all get along fine" kind of thing. Worked very well, and as another poster said, our crime rates were non-existent (back then). Later on, after so many folks moved there from "other places", got tired of the horrified looks and would lay it on the seat beside me. Still considered "plain sight" by law (AZ).

Up here, it can't have a loaded chamber while in vehicle (unless you have a concealed carry), and must be in a case or holster, so I usually have the pistol at my feet, laying in front of seat on floor, and either speed loader (if revolver) or magazine (if semi-auto) laying in console or cup holder. By definition though, I can have the magazine in the pistol, as long as I don't have a round in the chamber. I have also jammed my pistol between the drivers seat and middle seat, muzzle down, while in a holster, but it's not as comfortable that way.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I carry a modded kel-Tec pf9. I have the belt clip on it, so no holster and I always carry it on me. When I pull into work, it goes in the center console and fits perfectly in the shallow xl console. I also park out away from everyone else right in front of a security camera(We have a very large parking lot from where the work force was 3 times as large years ago). There are about 10 of us here at work that do this. It takes an extra 20 seconds to walk in. I pull it out and put it on my waste as I'm pulling out, Dailey habit. This is the only time I leave my gun in the truck. Last thing I want is some thug breaking in my truck and stealing my pistol. I would also hate to come out to my truck while someone was breaking in and them discover my gun as I get there unarmed. I don't carry one in the chamber since I have a modded trigger and no safety, but I practice with it this way from my hip, so it's a fairly fluid motion as I draw.

Quick Reply: Question for the gun guys...