New Member/ Prospective Buyer Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:44 AM
AK-EMS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member/ Prospective Buyer Seeking Advice

First a quick introduction.

My name is Joe and I'm a lifelong Alaskan. I got into EMS this past spring and will be enlisting in the Army as 68W within the next 12 months so I have been searching around for a vehicle that will do me well for the next several years. The 2010 Camaro SS I'm currently driving is not a viable option. Also, I have very little experience wrenching on vehicles but I'm patient and eager to learn.

While searching Craig's List I came across this :
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5815096700.html

After taking it for a test drive here is what I found in no particular order:

The Not So Good:
1. Seller is currently living in the lower 48 and is currently sitting on the lot of an autobody shop that doesn't want it taking up space anymore.
2. Front end conversion does not properly line up with everything and the wiper fluid does not squirt very well.
3. Hood has no prop for keeping it open.
4. Not all of the electric lock actuators seem to work. Driver side does though.
5. Suspicious amount of rust on the frame.
6. Overall the exterior is not pretty and could use plenty of work. Apparently the current owner purchased it from someone down south who's wife had put it into a ditch and damaged the front end so it sat in a barn for several years before it was purchased and he did the front end conversion.
7. actually has 170k miles.

The Good:
1. All of the leather seats are in great shape with no rips tears or major scratches in any of them.
2. runs and drives great, steering is light with negligible play and no tracking issues.
3. Owner is a disabled vet and not in the business of bull****ting people.
4. Amazingly comfortable.
5. Very few mods so plenty of opportunity to customize. (I don't think it's ever been chipped or tuned)
6. Clean title.

So overall what I can tell is that it seems to be in good shape mechanically and just needs some cosmetic and convenience items fixed. The owner appears to be asking a premium at $10,000 when the actual value is probably closer to $7,500 as per KBB and NADA. I am scheduled to drop it off at Different Strokes of Alaska and have them do a full inspection this coming Monday.

Essential what I'm looking for is advice on what a good value would be for the if I were to make an offer and if there are certain items I should have the shop focus on when they inspect it.

Any and all advice is much appreciated! With a little luck I'll soon be able to fire my fully loaded BucksZooka at a new ride!

As a side note I do currently have my car for sale but do NOT need to sell it before purchasing something else.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:04 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Tell him to throw that truck on the NOPE train and ship it back down to himself.

Let's say with the front end conversion, it being a 7.3 and those miles, it is worth at most $30,000 (I am picking a nice round number so don't jump down my throat) if it was in PERFECT shape. That means straight body with no rust and a beautiful interior, as well as an un-abused engine.

Get a quote from the shop on how much it will be to finish the conversion, fix and paint the body, as well as repair the rust, and fix any mechanical stuff they find. Deduct that from the $30k and you have a starting point for negotiations. Make sure to check for any previous frame damage as well from it being thrown into the ditch.

I would personally be in it in a heartbeat at $5,000; you would have to twist my arm a little bit at $7,000. $10,000 is a lot of money for an EX that still needs roughly $15k in work.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:50 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Thumbs down

I'll agree with Twitch, a 171,xxx vehicle, that's been in a ditch, with rust and a "dog dirt" front end conversion add in the damaged rear quarter (no longer available), mish mash doors and that is about as attractive as two rats ****ing.

But hey, who am I to judge?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:36 AM
AK-EMS
New User
Thank you both for the replies, the input is great!

So if I heard correctly the owner is currently asking a completely unrealistic price and for it to be worthwhile he would need to be willing to take $5,000. At this point is it even worth paying the $230 to have it inspected on the off chance he can be argued down 50% or should I just wave it goodbye and keep my eyes peeled for a better rig?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:47 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by AK-EMS
Thank you both for the replies, the input is great!

So if I heard correctly the owner is currently asking a completely unrealistic price and for it to be worthwhile he would need to be willing to take $5,000. At this point is it even worth paying the $230 to have it inspected on the off chance he can be argued down 50% or should I just wave it goodbye and keep my eyes peeled for a better rig?
I would talk to the owner again and tell him what you are thinking. I was looking at a 05' 6.0 for a buddy here near me and the guy was asking $18k. I told my friend it was worth $10k at the most and that is what he told the seller. A month later the seller calls him up and told him he will take $10k and we may be picking it up this week.

It never hurts to ask, the worst someone can say is no.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:08 AM
AK-EMS
New User
Good point. I'll let him know where I stand on the situation. In the off chance he says yes would it still be worth getting it inspected, at least to see how extensive the rust is?

Old 10-18-2016, 11:09 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Given your limited mechanical experience and the asking price I would take a hard pass on that as a primary vehicle. As a second vehicle/project you are willing to invest considerable time and money into... maybe.

It has potential for sure but as twitch suggested my first impression was a max price of $5000, At least here in northern CA where Excursions are plentiful I'd expect to pay $3500 for that project.

No need to argue with the guy, offer $5000 contingent on inspection. If he does not accept walk away.
If you do not like the results of the inspection, walk away.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:13 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Given your limited mechanical experience and the asking price I would take a hard pass on that as a primary vehicle. As a second vehicle/project you are willing to invest considerable time and money into... maybe.

It has potential for sure but as twitch suggested my first impression was a max price of $5000, At least here in northern CA where Excursions are plentiful I'd expect to pay $3500 for that project.

No need to argue with the guy, offer $5000 contingent on inspection. If he does not accept walk away.
Is the engine not worth close to $10k? Anyway, look to spend at least another $10k to fix it.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:19 AM
AK-EMS
New User
Messaged him and said taking into account all the work it needs done I'd be willing to pay $5,000 contingent on the inspection.

I'll be curious to see what he comes back with.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:47 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by hwybee22
Is the engine not worth close to $10k? .
$1000-3000 for a complete take out engine.
It might cost somebody $10k to have a shop do all the work + supply the engine.

A reman long block can be had for $3500

Old 10-18-2016, 01:04 PM
michaelg10
Junior User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

Well said. With a background in "wrenching," the labor costs will quickly add up on the diesel. Additionally, there is always twice as much work than what you can observe initially. That rust might have crept into floor pans and frame rails.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Lexx
Freshman User
ABSOLUTELY nothing over $5000 for that heap.

Your gonna shell another 10 grand to cherry it.

If it was me, i'd walk on it.

You'll have to get another body on that frame if its not bent and rotted.

Ah hell, make it $4000 cause its a wreck.

Edit to ad: that wreck will show up on vehicle car fax reports and the insurance company might lowballs the replacement coverage and the title maybe a salvage or rebuilt that is not a lucrative selling point

Old 10-18-2016, 04:44 PM
outnumberedone
Freshman User
Welcome Joe and thank you for your service in EMS and future Army from another Alaskan on the site. If you decide to pass on that EX, mine is for sale on CL Anchorage as well. I'm moving on to another project now that my need for the extra seating is no longer an issue. Not sure if you can PM yet, but the black 7.3 in Wasilla will get you contact info if you're interested. Good Luck either way! Mike

Old 10-18-2016, 05:29 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with Twitch except for the part that the worst someone can say is no. I was in the Navy for a few years back in the 70s, and I've heard a lot worse than "no"!

Old 10-18-2016, 05:38 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I've seen the truck running around town, never got real close to it though. It does look like a half done project that needs some TLC.

Much nicer ones for sale in my humble opinion...

Quick Reply: New Member/ Prospective Buyer Seeking Advice