Are CB Radios Relevant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 03:34 PM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are CB Radios Relevant?

Just went cross country with my new 2017. The future holds a 5th Wheel. Now as I traveled back home, I began watching what others were doing with their Dully's and how they were set up. Now, I saw very few is all with a CB antenna visible. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:24 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's definitely a hobby that continues to decline. I'm looking to put a Ham system in my truck as it offers way better comm.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:25 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
with the advent of "a cell phone in every hand" the use of CB radios has declined to the point most have no idea what they are anymore.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:23 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Though the thread is a bit older, a few cents worth - I started my radio hobby [addiction] when I was pretty young, middle school I'd say. Before cell phones my buddys used to use the FRS radios around the neighborhood. One year I found dad's old CB from when he was in college in a box in the garage. I started experimenting with antennas etc back then. One thing led to another and I stumbled in to Amateur (ham) radio. I didn't spend a whole lot of time/effort in CB, it was more of a "transition" band.... That was until I got a job driving long haul.

2007-2008 I was all over the eastern US hauling cars for a car dealership. The first thing I put in my truck was a CB, and of course my ham stuff too. I learned to really appreciate having a CB. To this day I have one in my truck and use it on occasion. Most of the time it sits in my console, unplugged and unused, but when I hit a traffic jam or I am looking for some local information I still pull it out.

I will say, though, that a few times I have fired up the CB on some of my long night drives trying to get information on road conditions etc and have not had any replies on channel 19, nor much other chatter on the channel. I would agree with "tjc transport" that the use of CB radios is on a descent. That doesn't mean I'll stop using one. I learned the value of a CB my 2 years on the road. If the crap hit the fan I can get quicker help on a CB than a ham radio also, so long as I am not too far out in the boonies. If I am in the middle of no where with no cell service the HF ham bands will do, just a bit more work

Old 12-10-2016, 11:25 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a CB radio in my pickup. Mainly for weather. I am going to work towards getting in to Ham radio. Plan to take the technician test in a bit.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:39 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I think the heyday was in the 70s... there were some songs on the radio (remember that?) and a big CB craze swept the nation. "You got yer ears on good buddy?" Everybody wanted one. I bet the truckers were pissed. LOL

Old 12-11-2016, 01:13 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Tedster9
I think the heyday was in the 70s... there were some songs on the radio (remember that?) and a big CB craze swept the nation. "You got yer ears on good buddy?" Everybody wanted one. I bet the truckers were pissed. LOL
Even the truckers have moved away from CB radios. They are not common as they once were.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is an older thread, but I'm starting to look at cb radio's again to put in my truck. I used one back in the 90's when I was in college, and it really helped having a way to know what traffic/road conditions were like up the road a bit. Especially the one time I was driving all day through a blizzard to get back to school after Christmas break. I turned off the truck stereo and just kept the cb on all day. Despite the weather conditions I must've been putting out over 5 miles with a cheap set-up.
I want one now with Weather radio and PA capability. I'm looking at the Midland 1001 LWZ. Last radio I had quit working years ago and I eventually got rid of my old K40 in a move, so I need to start from scratch.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:58 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
I have the Midland you're talking about. It's decent. An external speaker is a must have. I hardly use it. As far as reports and things like that, i wouldn't count on it as a resource.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
It's good to have a non-digital internet dependent way to reach out, as an alternative. I'd think in an emergency they could still be useful. Trim out your antenna properly, just a 1/32" or two one way or another makes a big difference on how far you'll get out, and receive. Radio Shack used to sell inexpensive SWR meters, eBay has them now and then.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:06 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Tedster9
It's good to have a non-digital internet dependent way to reach out, as an alternative. I'd think in an emergency they could still be useful. Trim out your antenna properly, just a 1/32" or two one way or another makes a big difference on how far you'll get out, and receive. Radio Shack used to sell inexpensive SWR meters, eBay has them now and then.
Amazon is where I bought my radio, SWR meter, coax and firestik antenna.

I'm starting to delve in to ham radio.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah I did see it on Amazon for under $50. An antenna w/ coax set for about another $20 or so. Fiberglass whip antenna. Did your radio come with the mounting bracket? What kind of power supply does it take? It appears many now take kind of a standardized 3-prong power supply. I'm installing it into a 2012 F-150 so I'll probably wire it into the fuse panel and mount the radio lower left of the steering column. I've been looking online at Right Channel Radios a lot too. They have the firestik antenna with coax set for $65, same radio for another $65. Seems to be getting good reviews on their website

Old 01-22-2017, 04:52 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
Yeah I did see it on Amazon for under $50. An antenna w/ coax set for about another $20 or so. Fiberglass whip antenna. Did your radio come with the mounting bracket? What kind of power supply does it take? It appears many now take kind of a standardized 3-prong power supply. I'm installing it into a 2012 F-150 so I'll probably wire it into the fuse panel and mount the radio lower left of the steering column. I've been looking online at Right Channel Radios a lot too. They have the firestik antenna with coax set for $65, same radio for another $65. Seems to be getting good reviews on their website
Yes, it came with a bracket and mic clip. For my Midland I use a 12 volt plug and use the power point. Which is fine for 4 watts.

Firestiks are a decent value and easy to tune.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:47 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 1979 Ford
Yes, it came with a bracket and mic clip. For my Midland I use a 12 volt plug and use the power point. Which is fine for 4 watts.

Firestiks are a decent value and easy to tune.

Thanks I probably will get the radio off Amazon then. Thanks for the recommendation on the Firestik antenna. Not sure if I saw that one on Amazon right now, but maybe it will be on there later. I'm not ready to do this yet, probably gonna wait till summer when the weather is nicer and I'll have more time then to play with the truck. I plan on mounting the antenna to a stakehole in the bed, or to the back wall of the bed just behind the cab. Then run the coax in under the RF door and snake it under the seats. Thinkin' of a 4' whip with a spring. I need something that's going to be tall enough to give me good range, yet not interfere with the occasional parking garage.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:37 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
Thanks I probably will get the radio off Amazon then. Thanks for the recommendation on the Firestik antenna. Not sure if I saw that one on Amazon right now, but maybe it will be on there later. I'm not ready to do this yet, probably gonna wait till summer when the weather is nicer and I'll have more time then to play with the truck. I plan on mounting the antenna to a stakehole in the bed, or to the back wall of the bed just behind the cab. Then run the coax in under the RF door and snake it under the seats. Thinkin' of a 4' whip with a spring. I need something that's going to be tall enough to give me good range, yet not interfere with the occasional parking garage.
The one I bought came with a glass mount antenna. They are all but worthless.

I went with a 4 foot and no spring. Make sure it's well grounded. Also, it is best to get a SWR and power meter to tune it.

Quick Reply: Are CB Radios Relevant?