1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Need some dash help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:02 PM
siesta
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some dash help

Hi,
I have a small Auber pyrometer meter that I want to install in my 2006 E-450 diesel, and really don't have a clue about getting behind the dash without destroying anything. The small rectangular meter would fit perfectly under the fan dial switch in that area that is indented. There appears to be already room for some other gadget there if one had been ordered from the factory, so I'm assuming its 'blank space'. If I could get the Jensen Sirus/CD/back-up monitor out, I could access that space just above it. But I don't even see an easy way that the radio unit comes out - it doesn't appear to be just slid in there. I hate working with dashes! Any tips?

Old 06-17-2016, 04:55 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by siesta
Hi,
I have a small Auber pyrometer meter that I want to install in my 2006 E-450 diesel, and really don't have a clue about getting behind the dash without destroying anything. The small rectangular meter would fit perfectly under the fan dial switch in that area that is indented. There appears to be already room for some other gadget there if one had been ordered from the factory, so I'm assuming its 'blank space'. If I could get the Jensen Sirus/CD/back-up monitor out, I could access that space just above it. But I don't even see an easy way that the radio unit comes out - it doesn't appear to be just slid in there. I hate working with dashes! Any tips?
Hola siesta,
I found good info here for my 2010 Edge dash. These guys wrote most of the books on car dash accessories, I think. jim

Install Guides: Car Audio, Video & GPS

Old 06-18-2016, 12:56 AM
siesta
Senior User
Thanks Jim. That was a good lead...they make it look easy, but we'll see Some good tool tips there as well.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:43 AM
gcvt
Senior User
Hi,
Is the space you're talking about where the rear A/C fan control dial would be located, if the van had rear A/C?

Looking forward to see how this goes.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:13 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Your dash board if totally stock cannot easily accommodate anything especially in the area you're considering. The HVAC controls are housed in a "pod"--this image shows the back side of your intended install area:

This is that "pod" out of the dash:

If you have the approximate size of your pyrometer that might be helpful---I might be able to suggest another location. Several companies like Autometer make A Pillar 52 mm round gauge mounts but naturally that requires a different type of read out.

Your aftermarket radio removal should be easy enough---Jim's link might direct you well enough. Looking though the factory manual will have that info too---should be available for download from Jensen.

If there's a challenge here it would be removing the dash trim panel that extends from the left vent all the way past the other vent next to the radio. This requires releasing the headlight switch stem and removing that threaded bezel. Additionally there are two 7mm headed screws just above the speedometer also needing removed.

The dash trim panel can be another challenge only because it needs to be carefully handled but yet requires a bit of force to release its retaining clips. Then there's the power port and lighter wiring but that just unplugs.

Its not mind-blowing difficult but not the easiest thing if you've not done this or something similar before. I've had mine apart numerous times, the only part that bothers me is resetting my radio presets and clock afterwards.

HTH

Old 06-18-2016, 10:02 PM
siesta
Senior User
Hey thanks guys. I'm pretty committed to the space under the fan switch, since as GVCT said, its probably for rear A/C, which of course they don't bother with a cut-away van for an RV. I can even feel that circular blank space under the thin plastic cover, that shows up in the 'pod' photo (thanks JWA for that btw!!). There also doesn't appear to be any circuits or wires that will be in the way for this small unit.
The Auber only measures a svelt 1" high by 1 7/8" wide, which fits nicely within that blank switch area (not to mention it'll have an OEM look). I expect I could even cut through and install it without removing the whole dash...but unfortunately there's the matter of fishing wires for power and the pyro wire itself, which is probably near impossible with the radio unit still installed.
Good idea to contact Jensen (or a manual) for getting that thing out. I do worry about taking the dash panel off without causing some kinda breakage. I'll have to go slowly and see what is going to work...but it sure would be nice to avoid that step.
Will let you know how I make out.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:55 PM
gcvt
Senior User
Removing the dash panel isn't too difficult. I couldn't get the factory radio out and just removed the panel enough to release the radio retaining clips from behind by hand. As JWA mentioned, the first two steps are the two screws up underneath the bezel above the speedo and the headlight switch. Once that's done, the whole thing just pops off and you can access the wiring for the cig lighter and aux outlet...and hopefully release your Jensen.

The thing I had the most trouble with was the headlight switch. You gotta pull it out and rotate it until you see a little notch. Then use a very small screwdriver to compress the metal clip in there until the plastic **** comes off. Then unscrew the trim ring. My metal clip was messed up and it took me a little time to figure that out since you can't really see it. If you Google "headlight switch removal" and read about pushing a button on the back of the switch assembly, disregard that. Well, at least neither my '97 or '03 had that feature.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:52 PM
siesta
Senior User
Originally Posted by gcvt
Removing the dash panel isn't too difficult. I couldn't get the factory radio out and just removed the panel enough to release the radio retaining clips from behind by hand. As JWA mentioned, the first two steps are the two screws up underneath the bezel above the speedo and the headlight switch. Once that's done, the whole thing just pops off and you can access the wiring for the cig lighter and aux outlet...and hopefully release your Jensen.

The thing I had the most trouble with was the headlight switch. You gotta pull it out and rotate it until you see a little notch. Then use a very small screwdriver to compress the metal clip in there until the plastic **** comes off. Then unscrew the trim ring. My metal clip was messed up and it took me a little time to figure that out since you can't really see it. If you Google "headlight switch removal" and read about pushing a button on the back of the switch assembly, disregard that. Well, at least neither my '97 or '03 had that feature.

I found a video that shows how to take the Jensen out without special tools. There are four small holes in the front in which some snipped pieces of coat hanger can be inserted to release small catches that are inside, then you apply a bit of sideways pressure on the wires and the radio will slip right out. I know my model has those holes. I'll have to try that tomorrow, it'll solve the whole dash removal issue. There is quite a bit of room around the radio space.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:21 PM
gcvt
Senior User
I found a video that shows how to take the Jensen out without special tools. There are four small holes in the front in which some snipped pieces of coat hanger can be inserted to release small catches that are inside, then you apply a bit of sideways pressure on the wires and the radio will slip right out. I know my model has those holes. I'll have to try that tomorrow, it'll solve the whole dash removal issue. There is quite a bit of room around the radio space.
That's basically the same way the factory radio is removed too. Not sure why I never could get mine out but, again, I was able to remove the dash and then remove the radio by hand. I made the coat hanger tool too, just didn't work for me. Good luck and keep up posted.

Name:  IMG_0792.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  893.6 KB

Old 06-22-2016, 10:13 PM
siesta
Senior User
Originally Posted by gcvt
That's basically the same way the factory radio is removed too. Not sure why I never could get mine out but, again, I was able to remove the dash and then remove the radio by hand. I made the coat hanger tool too, just didn't work for me. Good luck and keep up posted.

Attachment 151007
Wow, took my homemade (clipped metal clothes hanger ends) tools and inserted the four points into the Jensen and it came out like a greased pig

Now I have all kinds of room to fish around behind the dash, without need to actually remove the dash cover.
I was surprised to see that Ford left a wired receptable in the 'blank' spot where I need/want to put the Auber gauge (below the fan switch). Was hoping it was totally empty as in JWA's photo. I don't think there will be an issue removing that receptacle, as it isn't doing anything. But, probably a good thing I didn't just go hog wild with a dremel cutter into that space from the outside and start cutting hidden wires.
Now, after reading some of the 'pyro' discussion about pre and post turbo locations (why is there always a great debate about stuff) I'm confused about where to put the sensor. It might come down to what I can reach easiest after removing the dog house.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:58 AM
siesta
Senior User

Auber pyrometer

One more step out of the way. Took the rotary tool with a slender burr and bored through several layers of plastic, which also removed the hidden rear A/C receptacle that would otherwise have been utilized in this location for a regular van.
Might ask a friend for help in tapping into the manifold for the sensor once I have a look around behind the doghouse.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:35 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great, siesta, like a factory option. jim

Old 06-27-2016, 02:08 AM
gcvt
Senior User
Nicely done!

Old 07-06-2016, 12:33 AM
siesta
Senior User

Thermocouple on driver's side

Auber pyrometer

Just to finish off the installation of the pyro, I was able to have some help to tap the thermocouple into the driver's side manifold (pretty easy to get to this from the doghouse). Used a shop-vac and then a magnetic probe to try and keep all metal bits out of harms way (since this is upstream of turbo).
No test drive yet, but a couple pics attached.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:10 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nicely Done. I just saw your PM in my notifications.

Quick Reply: Need some dash help