6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Upgraded replacement headlights..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:15 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Upgraded replacement headlights..

There was a thread here a few months ago but I couldn't find it about upgraded replacement headlights in which someone had found a set that was plug and play and produced much better light than the oem.

Does anyone have any reccomendations or can find the thread?

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2016, 05:45 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
See my other post on Brite box. An option but 5 years later having some issues. If you don't run Daytime Running Lights, i.e. A ISA truck, LED H13 are an option and if you look up search on H13 and LED it should come up. I believe you can also get 9145 driving lights plug and play, but the LED lights are not recommended with DRL from their website. Sorry I didn't write a not on the website seller of these.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:37 AM
Thereeds2004
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put LED in my 03 only did lows for the time being but I have since ordered the high/low Led not to fawn of the gold look any more as I can see more of the road and them crazy 4 legged things that are attached to trucks and cars

Old 04-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Crazy_Jim
Junior User
You're probably thinking about a projector upgrade.

I've got a good buddy that sells a ton of head lights for the OBS trucks, and has done a bunch of 6.0 sets. Here's a set he did for my truck right after I bought it, the light output is amazing.

You can contact him here at T.Rojo@yahoo.com
His name is Tony and you can tell him Jim gave you the info.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:10 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
^^^^Thanks.
What are OBS trucks?

Old 04-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Crazy_Jim
Junior User
Originally Posted by smlford
^^^^Thanks.
What are OBS trucks?

No problem! OBS trucks are the pre super duty trucks. So a 96 and older would be OBS, stand for "Old Body Style"

Old 04-24-2016, 12:12 PM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy_Jim
You're probably thinking about a projector upgrade.

I've got a good buddy that sells a ton of head lights for the OBS trucks, and has done a bunch of 6.0 sets. Here's a set he did for my truck right after I bought it, the light output is amazing.

You can contact him here at T.Rojo@yahoo.com
His name is Tony and you can tell him Jim gave you the info.

Jesus man..... are those on low-beam in your picture? They shine brighter than my brights with the Britebox installed! That Britebox is actually not that great. It only marginally improved my light output.

Also, what year is your pickup? Mine's an '05' and if I can can get that light output I would be insanely happy.

Are they street legal and do the cops hassle you at all?

Old 04-24-2016, 02:56 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
No problem! OBS trucks are the pre super duty trucks. So a 96 and older would be OBS, stand for "Old Body Style"
Thanks for the education!

I have reached out to your friend so hopefully he'll contact me.
Thanks again!

Old 04-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I sent a mail to the guy referenced, have not heard anything back. So a question for jim, are these like the ones offered on EBay? How long do they take to warm and get bright? My son has these projector lights on his 150 and they take a bit to brighten up.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Crazy_Jim
Junior User
Originally Posted by berick
Jesus man..... are those on low-beam in your picture? They shine brighter than my brights with the Britebox installed! That Britebox is actually not that great. It only marginally improved my light output.

Also, what year is your pickup? Mine's an '05' and if I can can get that light output I would be insanely happy.

Are they street legal and do the cops hassle you at all?
Yes those are low beams. Truck is an '06, the lights will be the same. What's nice is that because it uses a projector with a good cutoff line, you can run a 55w HID in the D2S projector without melting it, and without blinding people.

The way projectors work on high vs. low is by moving an actual shroud in front of the lense. So you're getting full light on low beam, just with a cut off stopping how high the light will shine, so you're not blinding oncoming drivers. Hit your highs and it moves out of the way and throws light upwards as well as where it currently throws. I'll try to get a video some time of the beam moving up and down.

Originally Posted by smlford
Thanks for the education!

I have reached out to your friend so hopefully he'll contact me.
Thanks again!
Sorry if he hasn't responded, I'll reach out to him and find out how he wants to be contacted. That's just the email I have for him.

Originally Posted by Hank85713
I sent a mail to the guy referenced, have not heard anything back. So a question for jim, are these like the ones offered on EBay? How long do they take to warm and get bright? My son has these projector lights on his 150 and they take a bit to brighten up.
Again sorry if he hasn't contact you back, going to shoot him a link to this thread and tell him some people want to contact him.

As far as the lights, no they're very different from ebay lights. There's two things going on here, a new housing with a projector retrofit, and new bulbs/ballasts to go to HID vs. a halogen bulb. The HID's do take roughly 10 seconds or so to fully warm up to full output, I'm running a 55w light which seems to take a bit less time. As for the housings themselves, you can buy cheap ebay projector housings that have terrible light output. Those honestly don't even compare, those projectors are absolute junk.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:29 PM
Tcm glx
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Fellas, glad you all like Jims lights....I built those for him.

I do this as a weekend hobby, but I'm not a vendor so can not sell on this site. Happy to answer any questions about Jims build though.

SMLFord and Hank, feel free to email me at the email Jim provided above f you have any detailed questions.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
following to see how this goes

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Yes those are low beams. Truck is an '06, the lights will be the same. What's nice is that because it uses a projector with a good cutoff line, you can run a 55w HID in the D2S projector without melting it, and without blinding people.

The way projectors work on high vs. low is by moving an actual shroud in front of the lense. So you're getting full light on low beam, just with a cut off stopping how high the light will shine, so you're not blinding oncoming drivers. Hit your highs and it moves out of the way and throws light upwards as well as where it currently throws. I'll try to get a video some time of the beam moving up and down.

Sorry if he hasn't responded, I'll reach out to him and find out how he wants to be contacted. That's just the email I have for him.

Again sorry if he hasn't contact you back, going to shoot him a link to this thread and tell him some people want to contact him.

As far as the lights, no they're very different from ebay lights. There's two things going on here, a new housing with a projector retrofit, and new bulbs/ballasts to go to HID vs. a halogen bulb. The HID's do take roughly 10 seconds or so to fully warm up to full output, I'm running a 55w light which seems to take a bit less time. As for the housings themselves, you can buy cheap ebay projector housings that have terrible light output. Those honestly don't even compare, those projectors are absolute junk.
If your guy stops in and wants the work maybe a list of people that want to talk to hi would help.

I would like to do this modification.

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Porjector Headlight want list.

To add your name just copy to a new post and add you name to the bottom of the list.

Yahiko aka Sean

Old 05-03-2016, 03:50 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
To add your name just copy to a new post and add you name to the bottom of the list.

Yahiko aka Sean
watsonr Randy

Good looking red truck.... but those lights are sick!

Quick Reply: Upgraded replacement headlights..