Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   HPOP diagram of drawing? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/849123-hpop-diagram-of-drawing.html)

Texas Outlaw 05-08-2009 04:51 PM

HPOP diagram of drawing?

Does anyone have a diagram or drawing of the HPOP? I have a small oil leak and I think that it is coming from the HPOP. It seems like it is coming from underneath it. I cannot really tell but I do know that its not coming from the fittings. I have a very small puddle of oil in the valley, right there at the HPOP. No oil anywhere else. It's not coming from the HPX or any of those lines either.

Any pics of what the underside of this thing looks like?

ron's power stroke 05-08-2009 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
.................................................. ......

ron's power stroke 05-08-2009 05:02 PM

if its the under side..it could be the HPOP to front cover gasket..i dont think there is a plug bottom side..

cleatus12r 05-08-2009 05:05 PM

Are you sure it's not this one?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...your-hpop.html

http://www.dieselorings.com/template...hpop_rings.jpg

http://image09.webshots.com/9/9/0/40...0iUfcHh_fs.jpg

guzzle92 05-08-2009 05:26 PM

Great pic Cody!

:-jammin

Kwikkordead 05-09-2009 12:27 AM

Figure it out yet, Scott?

powerstroke8994 05-09-2009 12:33 AM

Put some dye in it and that will help. Most likely it is the pump to cover gasket. That pump is only held in there with 2 bolts so they leak easy.

Texas Outlaw 05-09-2009 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by ron's power stroke (Post 7480800)
.................................................. ......

Originally Posted by ron's power stroke (Post 7480804)
if its the under side..it could be the HPOP to front cover gasket..i dont think there is a plug bottom side..

Thank you, Ron. That helps a lot.

Originally Posted by cleatus12r (Post 7480808)

Thank you, Cody. I copied your picture to a Word document, printed it and took it out to the truck with me.

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead (Post 7482101)
Figure it out yet, Scott?

Not yet. Yesterday while I was looking, the motor was so hot that I couldn't touch anything. This morning, with it cold, I went out and looked under the HPOP with a mirror and it is amazingly clean there. All of the HPOP lines and fittings are clean and so is the IPR. I reached up under there and felt around and my fingers came back clean. Maybe the HPOP isn't where my leak is coming from?

The rear of the motor is dry, oil is only puddled in the front, and it's not a whole lot. The way that I found this was I noticed a quarter sized oil spot on the driveway yesterday morning as I was backing out of the driveway. Got to work, looked underneath and sure enough, a little bit of oil dripping from the inspection plate for the trans. At lunch time, I went out and climbed up onto a tire and checked the valley. Small puddle in the front. The rest of the valley was a little wet but not oily. I presume that wetness is from the small puddle being blown to the rear of the motor and out the drain to the ground.

Originally Posted by powerstroke8994 (Post 7482115)
Put some dye in it and that will help. Most likely it is the pump to cover gasket. That pump is only held in there with 2 bolts so they leak easy.

Going to go out and check the bolts now. Also going to check all of the intercooler boots. I know that's a long shot but hey, what the hell.

The truck is due for an oil change so thinking I will do that today too.

ron's power stroke 05-09-2009 07:40 AM

2 months ago my ICP oring leeked only when i wasnt looking...i would always see oil where you said but not a trace of where it came from..after a few weeks i see it leeking..put in a new oring and all is well thus far..

Texas Outlaw 05-09-2009 07:50 AM

I will check that out next, Ron. Thanks for the tip. I hate leakers and this just won't do...ha ha.

F350-6 05-09-2009 08:19 AM

Dip something down into the puddle in the valley and smell it. Make sure it's oil and not diesel you're looking at. Also check the HPO lines where they attach to the heads.

Texas Outlaw 05-09-2009 08:59 AM

I did a sniff test yesterday and it sure smelled like Rotella. I changed my fuel bowl o-rings out a few months ago. I will check all of that out and see if it's wet.

beanhead6D5 05-09-2009 09:26 PM

Check all the hpop plugs in the heads to see if there leaking.

TerminatorEng. 05-09-2009 11:34 PM

Check the 11/16" plug at the rear of the pump. They are notorious for leaking. It's just a #6 O ring, same as the HPOP lines at the pump. The oil rails are #5's.

Also, check the 1/2" bolt pictured above as non-serviceable. They can also leak.

Good luck!

Texas Outlaw 05-10-2009 06:37 AM

Checked all of those and they look clean. I cleaned everything up good yesterday and stuck a clean, white rag under the HPOP. Going to run it today and see if the rag gets fresh oil on it from the underside of the pump.

TerminatorEng. 05-10-2009 08:53 AM

It could be your front HPOP gasket. Check your pump mounting bolts and see if they are tight.

Texas Outlaw 05-10-2009 10:30 AM

Those are the two bolts that are behind the EBP sensor, correct?

TerminatorEng. 05-10-2009 11:23 AM

No. Check the two 10mm bolts that bolt the pump to the timing cover, behind the pump.

The bolts up front are for the gear bolt cover. They are 8mm.

PaysonPSD 05-10-2009 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scott,

In this pic you can see the two mounting bolt locations on either side of the pump cylinder.

Attachment 221698

Texas Outlaw 05-10-2009 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by TerminatorEng. (Post 7485694)
No. Check the two 10mm bolts that bolt the pump to the timing cover, behind the pump.

The bolts up front are for the gear bolt cover. They are 8mm.

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD (Post 7485849)
Scott,

In this pic you can see the two mounting bolt locations on either side of the pump cylinder.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...o/IPRHPOPb.jpg

Perfect. Thanks, both of you.

beanhead6D5 05-11-2009 05:45 PM

Did you find the leak Scott????

Texas Outlaw 05-11-2009 05:48 PM

Been so busy trying to fix the lights, and then today mowing the yards, that I haven't even had time to check. It's pouring rain out there right now. Maybe once it stops I will go and take a look.

Mother's Day got in the way too.

RedBoat 05-11-2009 05:58 PM

Hopefully it's not the non removable plug o-ring.
If it is that one I think it requires removal of the HPOP to replace the non-removable/removable plug O-ring. :-missingt :-missingt :-missingt

ron's power stroke 05-11-2009 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by RedBoat (Post 7490188)
Hopefully it's not the non removable plug o-ring.

If it is that one I think it requires removal of the HPOP to replace the non-removable/removable plug O-ring.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...your-hpop.html

Texas Outlaw 05-11-2009 06:12 PM

I really don't think that is what it is. Like I said, the bottom of the HPOP is clean.

After this storm blows through, I am going to go out and check.

FTE/PARTS-GUY 05-11-2009 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the parts catalog pic, see what I have to deal with.
lol

Ed

Attachment 221701

Texas Outlaw 05-11-2009 06:27 PM

Just came in from checking. The rag is clean, no oil and no puddle, at least not yet.

FTE/PARTS-GUY 05-11-2009 06:37 PM

ENGINE—7.3L DIESEL DI—HIGH PRESSURE OIL Article No.
PUMP LEAK 04-4-4

Scott you have access to TSB's

check TSB 04-4-04

or PM me your email and i'll send you the pdf file.

Ed

Texas Outlaw 05-11-2009 06:47 PM

I just read it and saved a copy. Thanks, Ed.

FTE/PARTS-GUY 05-11-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw (Post 7490378)
I just read it and saved a copy. Thanks, Ed.

welcome, thought it might help.

ed

PJ-Hunter 08-05-2010 05:56 PM

I too, have a leak coming from the HPOP. It's not coming from either line but rather from the "non-removable" plug on the lower driver's side part. I called and checked with Ford and that is a "You are ****** part" $1000 for a new HPOP. There has to be a way to fix this as my finances are tight, due to truck issues last year with blown injector seals, ICP sensor, Wiring harness under the valve cover and of course, tires.

This is my only vehicle and I cannot have it down. So this weekend I need to get it repaired until I can get enough to buy a "reman" pump.

Can anybody help me with some directions on how to remove said HPOP and such? Thanks ever so much.

F350-6 08-05-2010 06:03 PM

Welcome to FTE PJ. The only reason you need to replace your HPOP due to a leak would be because the housing cracked. Go back to page 1, post #4 in this thread and look at the picture of the HPOP. Tell us where your leak is coming from in that picture, and we'll tell you how to fix it.

PJ-Hunter 08-05-2010 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by F350-6 (Post 9188273)
Welcome to FTE PJ. The only reason you need to replace your HPOP due to a leak would be because the housing cracked. Go back to page 1, post #4 in this thread and look at the picture of the HPOP. Tell us where your leak is coming from in that picture, and we'll tell you how to fix it.

Thanks. The leak is coming from the "non-removeable" plug. Not the hpop lines. They are clean. The mess is pretty good size after each drive too, but I'm assuming it's because the oil is hot and such.

megawatt00 08-05-2010 07:44 PM

Order this kit
Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Make sure you follow the directions precisely and you will not have any more problems at aall.

PJ-Hunter 08-05-2010 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by megawatt00 (Post 9188592)
Order this kit
Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Make sure you follow the directions precisely and you will not have any more problems at aall.

That will be ordered first thing in the morning. Now, how do I get the HPOP off? I can't afford to have things break and I certainly cannot afford 70-100/hour to have it done. Love the Hope and Change eh?:'(

megawatt00 08-05-2010 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by PJ-Hunter (Post 9188622)
That will be ordered first thing in the morning. Now, how do I get the HPOP off? I can't afford to have things break and I certainly cannot afford 70-100/hour to have it done. Love the Hope and Change eh?:'(

This was written by Rubber Duck it has been a great help to many members

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...-part-1-a.html

Texas Outlaw 08-05-2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by F350-6 (Post 9188273)

Like mine!

Yep, couldn't believe it but bigger than *****, there it was. Hairline crack along the bottom. Spewed oil all over too.

PJ-Hunter 08-05-2010 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw (Post 9188659)
Like mine!

Yep, couldn't believe it but bigger than *****, there it was. Hairline crack along the bottom. Spewed oil all over too.

I sure hope not. I can def. tell that the oil is coming from the plug. When I got it tightened a bit (hard to get a wrench on) it stopped leaking for about a week. Then it started again yesterday. The plug is all oily again. Wish I had a mirror to look tho.

PaysonPSD 08-06-2010 12:38 AM

There are also instructions for HPOP R&R right on the link Jim posted. Here's a direct LINK.

I have had my HPOP out a few times and don't remove the IPR before removing the HPOP. Less mess if you just leave the IPR on. JMHO

PJ-Hunter 08-06-2010 08:50 AM

WOW! Thanks guys. I'll order that part this am and get going next weekend, I guess. As long as it's before bow season.

I should have seen that pdf last night but I was running every which way but loose after my kids while she sat on her duff and watched E! What a BS channel that is.