Conversation Between aldridgec and SpringerPop
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. SpringerPop
    07-21-2009 12:43 PM - permalink
    Do you ever install those little dedicated filters in the high side, post-compressor? Can the filter material handle the pre-condenser temperatures?

Pop
  2. aldridgec
    07-21-2009 08:44 AM - permalink
    It's theoretically possible, but probably not worth any further effort. Most mobile a/c system dryers (either accumulator or receivers) don't do much filtering. So while a dedicated filter after the compressor is a great idea in the event of a compressor failure to trap debris, a receiver is really a waste. For this reason. It serves the purpose of storing excess refrigerant during different a/c load periods. The receiver has to be in the high (liquid) side because the TXV throttles the refrigerant flow. Excess refrigerant can build up between the compressor and the TXV. Similarly, the accumulator has to go after the orifice because the orifice is flowing a fixed volume. Because the evaporation of the refrigerant can vary due to load, there is the possibility of liquid not getting boiled off. It has to have a place to rest since the compressor can't compress liquid.
  3. SpringerPop
    07-20-2009 12:49 PM - permalink
    From a purely theoretical point-of-view, can you think of a reason not to add a receiver/drier to a Ford system? Double the desiccant, double the filtration. Could almost charge using the "sight-glass" method.

As you can see from my sig line in forum posts, I'm always thinking about additional filtration!

Not that I'm going to rush right out and actually do this, 'cause my system works reeeeel cold as it is, but I can't see any downside other than having to use more R-134 and a bit more oil.

Whaddia' think

Pop