1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Step by step for changing transmission fluid F250, 6.0L 5R110W

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 05:54 AM
CollinsCD
Hotshot
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by nojoke327
So why not just bring it to a dealer and have it done right? I got my tranny, t case and diffs done for like $400. How much did you just spend on a filter and 18 qts of fluid. Its not a bad deal and you will know everything is new and fresh
No dealers around my area have the heated flush machine so you will never get all the fluid flushed.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:02 AM
mushman
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont Forget the External Filter.........

Originally Posted by UGA33
You will play hell getting a true drain of all the fluid without doing a flush. Just how it is. I don't see why you are so scared of a flush. You need to be careful with the external filter. I have cracked the housing using an impact and by hand. Its on tight. Just pop it once with an impact and it should be good.
Like it says above do not forget to change the external filter mounted on the passenger side.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:50 AM
NotURMailman
Senior User
2003 model year seems to have some mix and match configurations. Do all of the 2wd 6.0 trucks use the 5R110W transmission and do they all have the external filter for that year?

Still trying to get used to being back in a Ford. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by NotURMailman
2003 model year seems to have some mix and match configurations. Do all of the 2wd 6.0 trucks use the 5R110W transmission and do they all have the external filter for that year?
All 6.0L trucks, 2wd or 4wd, have the 5R110W transmission, regardless of year. This includes 2003. And all 2003 5r110W transmissions have an external filter.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:03 AM
NotURMailman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
All 6.0L trucks, 2wd or 4wd, have the 5R110W transmission, regardless of year. This includes 2003. And all 2003 5r110W transmissions have an external filter.
Thank you! IDK if I was reading jumbled up info or confusing myself. LOL

Without crawling under the truck can someone tell me if the trans pan has a drain plug?

Old 12-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Solamia
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by nojoke327
So why not just bring it to a dealer and have it done right? I got my tranny, t case and diffs done for like $400. How much did you just spend on a filter and 18 qts of fluid. Its not a bad deal and you will know everything is new and fresh
I take it you're a dealer/work for a dealer since you said "bring it" to a dealer and not "take it" to one?

I'll be glad to tell you WHY I prefer to do it myself:

1) I lost my job, so even if it saves me $50 it's worth it to me.

2) I would consider it laziness on my part to pay someone to do something I can do myself (sure I don't have a flush machine, but as many have said throughout these threads, and some on very good authority, if dropping the pan is done regularly it will be good).

3) I can do it cheaper. Just called the dealership, and they quoted me $600 (**PLUS external filter and that labor--couldn't tell me what that is because it wasn't in the computer) for what you mentioned above. I'm going to do it for $200 (fluids and filters) and that's with dealer fluids price quote--I'll surely get fluids cheaper at an auto parts store, so < $200.

4) I get experience of working on this truck.

5) I gain a lot of knowledge by reading through threads and instructions on this site. I love learning!

6) I get to see, MYSELF, the condition everything is in (I'm even taking pics of the magnets to compare to next time).

7) Any time I have paid someone to work on my vehicle (only a handful of times), I have regretted it! Examples:
a) Had brakes done, got car, first intersection--no brakes! Took it back. They said, yeah, these cars are notorious for being hard to bleed the brakes. SO why didn't they make sure before giving it back to the customer???
b) Directional tires put on the wrong direction
c) Engine cutting out/car bucking, they put computer on it, did this and that, had to take it back 2 more times ($600 by now), not fixed, they said they didn't know what it was but would cost me $60/hr to keep looking. (My Dad was a mechanic,= and if he couldn't fix something, he didn't charge people). I took it home, studied wiring diagram, replaced 2 wires and fixed it myself in about 3 hours. Computers rarely reveal ROOT cause, and don't take the place of common sense.
d) New Turbo for a truck...it failed immediatley, they wanted to fix it, said no, bought a new one--want a new one. (No details here, my then husband dealt with them.)
e) New tires put on trailer rims, told them they were old and I was concerned about the beads seating. Got them back and 3 went flat before even putting on trailer. Took back, wanted to charge me again for mounting and also for knocking rust off! That's when I found a decent tire shop that I've frequented now--ONLY shop I'd ever recommend.
f) Alignment done on a car, still pulled to the left. Took back, they said it should be good. Had them drive it. They couldn't ever figure it out. But obviously they didn't inform me of this when I picked it up as they should have. (Hoping I wouldn't notice?)

So as you can see, I'd rather research (if I haven't done it before) and do it myself to be sure it's done right and I don't get screwed again.
I've never regretted a job I'VE finished. I almost always regretted paying someone else to do a job.

Heck, in just calling the dealership today for that quote I was transferred to 3 different people because the "other" person would know better what I need. And I told 2nd person I wanted a trans FLUSH. 3rd person originally quoted me for dropping pan because that's what 2nd person said I wanted. I NEVER used the phrase "drop the pan." Plus they couldn't quote me for external filter labor?? Don't they work on Fords daily?? AND THEN later a Ford salesman called me, saying that he was told I'm in the market for a new Explorer. WHAT??? That all just showed me how unorganized they are. Not touching my truck!

OK this is too long, but ya got me on a roll! Have a good one!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:07 PM
dantheman0083
New User
Transmission hot flush then (DIY) filters

Originally Posted by UGA33
You will play hell getting a true drain of all the fluid without doing a flush. Just how it is. I don't see why you are so scared of a flush. You need to be careful with the external filter. I have cracked the housing using an impact and by hand. Its on tight. Just pop it once with an impact and it should be good.

I have a 06 6.0 I have done some research. I want to get the hot flush with Mercon SP. Am I correct in saying get the hot flush then replace the in line filter. I live a few miles from my local ford dealer they say 275.00 out the door for just flush and new fluid. I can drive it home replace in line filter (toilet paper),then drain pan into a clean bucket remove pan cover replace pan filter, then use the new fluid I drained into clean bucket to add back into tranny dip stick hole. I could idle for a few in neutral with e-brake engaged. Then check and add fluid back to optimal level. I can't find anything about replacement of filters after hot flush. Thus is what should be posted if I am correct in these methods. Please let me know. Sullivanceilings@gmail.com thanks

Old 02-11-2016, 02:39 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by dantheman0083
I can drive it home replace in line filter (toilet paper)
So far, so good.

then drain pan into a clean bucket remove pan cover replace pan filter, then use the new fluid I drained into clean bucket to add back into tranny dip stick hole.
I wouldn't do that. There is no reason to replace the internal filter. If that filter has enough junk in it that it needs to be replaced, the trans has already failed.

I could idle for a few in neutral with e-brake engaged.
Why? What are you trying to do here?

Old 02-11-2016, 02:56 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Solamia
I take it you're a dealer/work for a dealer since you said "bring it" to a dealer and not "take it" to one?

I'll be glad to tell you WHY I prefer to do it myself:

1) I lost my job, so even if it saves me $50 it's worth it to me.

2) I would consider it laziness on my part to pay someone to do something I can do myself (sure I don't have a flush machine, but as many have said throughout these threads, and some on very good authority, if dropping the pan is done regularly it will be good).

3) I can do it cheaper. Just called the dealership, and they quoted me $600 (**PLUS external filter and that labor--couldn't tell me what that is because it wasn't in the computer) for what you mentioned above. I'm going to do it for $200 (fluids and filters) and that's with dealer fluids price quote--I'll surely get fluids cheaper at an auto parts store, so < $200.

4) I get experience of working on this truck.

5) I gain a lot of knowledge by reading through threads and instructions on this site. I love learning!

6) I get to see, MYSELF, the condition everything is in (I'm even taking pics of the magnets to compare to next time).

7) Any time I have paid someone to work on my vehicle (only a handful of times), I have regretted it! Examples:
a) Had brakes done, got car, first intersection--no brakes! Took it back. They said, yeah, these cars are notorious for being hard to bleed the brakes. SO why didn't they make sure before giving it back to the customer???
b) Directional tires put on the wrong direction
c) Engine cutting out/car bucking, they put computer on it, did this and that, had to take it back 2 more times ($600 by now), not fixed, they said they didn't know what it was but would cost me $60/hr to keep looking. (My Dad was a mechanic,= and if he couldn't fix something, he didn't charge people). I took it home, studied wiring diagram, replaced 2 wires and fixed it myself in about 3 hours. Computers rarely reveal ROOT cause, and don't take the place of common sense.
d) New Turbo for a truck...it failed immediatley, they wanted to fix it, said no, bought a new one--want a new one. (No details here, my then husband dealt with them.)
e) New tires put on trailer rims, told them they were old and I was concerned about the beads seating. Got them back and 3 went flat before even putting on trailer. Took back, wanted to charge me again for mounting and also for knocking rust off! That's when I found a decent tire shop that I've frequented now--ONLY shop I'd ever recommend.
f) Alignment done on a car, still pulled to the left. Took back, they said it should be good. Had them drive it. They couldn't ever figure it out. But obviously they didn't inform me of this when I picked it up as they should have. (Hoping I wouldn't notice?)

So as you can see, I'd rather research (if I haven't done it before) and do it myself to be sure it's done right and I don't get screwed again.
I've never regretted a job I'VE finished. I almost always regretted paying someone else to do a job.

Heck, in just calling the dealership today for that quote I was transferred to 3 different people because the "other" person would know better what I need. And I told 2nd person I wanted a trans FLUSH. 3rd person originally quoted me for dropping pan because that's what 2nd person said I wanted. I NEVER used the phrase "drop the pan." Plus they couldn't quote me for external filter labor?? Don't they work on Fords daily?? AND THEN later a Ford salesman called me, saying that he was told I'm in the market for a new Explorer. WHAT??? That all just showed me how unorganized they are. Not touching my truck!

OK this is too long, but ya got me on a roll! Have a good one!
I hope you get back to work soon because you have way too much time on your hands to write that much over one comment lol

Old 02-11-2016, 04:57 PM
lojoman16
New User
Would drilling and tapping the converter for a plug help ?

Old 02-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

It would as long as you didn't hit anything inside the converter drilling or when the plug is installed, and you should really rebalance it, too.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:08 AM
dantheman0083
New User
Tranny filters

I want to replace filters and fluid. The price from dealer for jot flush and both filters is 625.00 for 275.00 I can get hot flush and replace filters. I was figuring that the pan filter should be replaced. I recently read that it only stops tree branches lol so in line filter is only one needing to be replaced? Ok got it. I have 146k now I got 6.0 with 109k I've had oil cooler and egr cooler replaced oem I wish I knew more about it in the beginning I would have tried to bullet proof as much as I could afford. So I'll get hot flush and replace toilet paper. I have livewire tuner with tune safe for stock studs but I blew an injector 2 months ago rolling coal on a douche. I have 5" turbo back exhaust with muffler and Cady delete. Tranny is a little rough between 1&2&3. So changing fluid with hot flush I hope with cure shifting jerks and extend life of my tranny. Thanks for the info if there is anything else please let me know.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:26 AM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of your dealers suck. I got my tranny, T case and both diffs done at a dealer for $400. How do they justify over $200 more for the same service