Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Elder User

moebdick is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do you bleed the cooling system?

Hey, getting ready to do a cooling system flush per the instructions Cheezit posted a while back, which say "refer to Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding in this section." I think I can figure out the drain and fill but how do you bleed the system? thanks
Isspro EV2 Gauges: Fuel, EGT, Rear Axle — ScanGauge II watching EOT, ECT, TFT, MAP, ICP, Volts — B&W Turnover Hitch — Tekonsha Prodigy — Dieselsite Coolant Filter — Bulletproof EGR Cooler — A.R.E. LSX Tonneau — Fumoto — Husky Floor Mats
Old 10-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
I've never had to or even heard of bleeding the cooling system on my truck. Drain, flush, and fill is all I've ever had to do and never ever had a problem. The degas bottle should take care of the bubbles that come out. Fill to the prescribed level, run it for a day or two and top it off.

Rest in peace Mojo. My friend and faithful companion you shall ever be.

Tim
Old 10-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Elder User

OK thanks. The instructions also say to "Backflush the heater core. For additional information, refer to Heater Core backflushing in this section." Do I just disconnect the heater out hose and run some water through it for a while? Or is this also not necessary?
Isspro EV2 Gauges: Fuel, EGT, Rear Axle — ScanGauge II watching EOT, ECT, TFT, MAP, ICP, Volts — B&W Turnover Hitch — Tekonsha Prodigy — Dieselsite Coolant Filter — Bulletproof EGR Cooler — A.R.E. LSX Tonneau — Fumoto — Husky Floor Mats
Old 10-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moebdick View Post
OK thanks. The instructions also say to "Backflush the heater core. For additional information, refer to Heater Core backflushing in this section." Do I just disconnect the heater out hose and run some water through it for a while? Or is this also not necessary?
Never done that, but I think that would be a good idea. Dang sure couldn't hurt anything. Just make sure your heater valve (if you have one) is open before you give yourself a backflush bath--LOL.

Are you using the VC-9 cleaner??

I'm of the opinion that any kind of trash that you can get out of the system BEFORE you put your cleaning chemicals in greatly increases the effectiveness of the flush. I'm also of the opinion that using tap water to do the flush with is completely satisfactory unless you have "bad" water to start with. I do, however, use at least 12 gallons of distilled water AFTER the tap water completely cleans the flush.

Tim
Old 10-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Elder User

Thanks again, NPC. Yes, I'm going to run the VC-9 through it for an hour, then repeat with a quart of Simple Green (I have no oil in the system, but figured it will clean out things even more), then flush til water is clean and clear.

BTW, when I do the final fill, I assume the system holds 28 quarts, so can I just add 14 quarts of Gold coolant and then top off with distilled water?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Thanks again, NPC. Yes, I'm going to run the VC-9 through it for an hour, then repeat with a quart of Simple Green (I have no oil in the system, but figured it will clean out things even more), then flush til water is clean and clear.
I"m not sure on the order of that. Maybe the simple green first????? I thought that the VC-9 also chemically prepped the cooling system surfaces???

Tim
Old 10-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Elder User

I'm just following Cheezit's advice in this post here.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Ford does say to bleed the system. They even have a special tool to do so - pulling a vacuum I believe. I have always ignored it though.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 10-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Post Fiend

Cheezit's the man

Tim
Old 10-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Ford does say to bleed the system. They even have a special tool to do so - pulling a vacuum I believe. I have always ignored it though.
Interesting. I wonder if that's because of cavities in the block that might hold air pockets.

Tim
Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Elder User

OK, thanks guys. What about my refill idea? Or should I mix the coolant 50/50 then add?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
OK, thanks guys. What about my refill idea? Or should I mix the coolant 50/50 then add?
If you're going to go back and drain the block AFTER you flush you can, but when you just drop the lower hose or drain the radiator normally it will leave 3.5 gallons of water in the block and cooling system. If you fill with 3.5 gallons of 100% coolant after your last dose of distilled water it will give you a 50/50 mix.

Tim
Old 10-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Elder User

I'm pulling the LH block plug, but once I'm done with flushing whatever is in there will be distilled water. I just wanted to be sure the system really holes 28 quarts, and from what you're saying it does.

I'm pulling t-stat now (fighting CAC tube...think I'll take it off!). I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
Quote:
I'm pulling the LH block plug, but once I'm done with flushing whatever is in there will be distilled water. I just wanted to be sure the system really holes 28 quarts, and from what you're saying it does.

I'm pulling t-stat now (fighting CAC tube...think I'll take it off!). I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!!!
I only pulled the air cleaner for access.
2007 Thor Jazz 5er, 11k dry weight, 31'
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Senior User

WH 6.0 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Not meaning to hijack but I am interested in this as well. I too am getting ready to do a flush and would like to know if anyone has the procedure for bleeding the ststem and is this "special tool" necessary? I don't trust the local dealers to do my work. Pretty sure they would half-a$$ it and also use tap water. Any help is appreciated!!
'06 F-250 SRW 4X4 SC LB 6.0L,DIESELSITE COOLANT FILTER,HI-IDLE MOD.,BLUE SPRING MOD.,STOCK TUNING(VXCF9 FLASH), INSIGHT CS (NO EGT YET),LINE -X SPRAYED IN BED LINER,MOTORCRAFT CETANE BOOSTER IN EVERY TANK,AND ZERO PROBLEMS.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
60l, aerostar, air, bleed, bleeding, cooling, diesel, escape, excursion, f350, ford, navigator, powerstroke, system, van