Suspected SJB problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Pocketchange5
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspected SJB problem

I posted this problem on the Escape thread earlier and have had lots of views but no responses so I thought I would try here.

The key fob would not unlock the door, I manually unlocked it with the key. I was able to start the car, however, not only was the gear shift lever locked most of the electrical functions did not work. No windows, radio, door locks, lift gate, interior lights. The AC did work. We disconnected the battery and reconnected it and now everything is back to normal. So what happened? It can’t be a blown fuse because everything works now. I think the SJB controls the inop functions but I can not understand what happened or if it is likely to happen again. I talked to the Ford Dealer and they had never heard of this problem before.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
What is the SJB?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Pocketchange5
Freshman User
The SJB is the smart junction block. Many of the electrial functions are triggered by other actions, for instance when you hit the key fob to open the door not only does the driver door unlock the interior lights come on. Another example is when you turn the car off the radio still works until you remove the key. Somehow the unit did not wake up when it should and I hope to understand why.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
What year is this? I have never heard of a smart junction block. It must be really new. I am familiar with the body module, the cluster module, abs module, etc., all communicate on a network and talk to each other for some of these functions. approx 1999-2004(+?) trucks the door switches where connected to the body module. It communicated to the cluster module when a door was opened. The cluster module lit a "door ajar" light in the cluster(if you had this feature) along with controlling a "battery saver" relay and also a "accessory delay" relay in the fuse box. Those relays are what let the windows and the radio, etc. still work till you opened a door, or a certain time period.

Your model may be new and they may be doing it differently now, it's hard to keep up with this stuff.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Pocketchange5
Freshman User
Thank you for the reply Dave. I believe the Smart Junction Block is a combination of the GEM module and another module. The abreviation in the manual is SPDJB. The module is fed by a circuit coming out of the power distribution box in the engine compartment and I think it is located on the passenger side of the center console. It appears to be a glorified fuse panel. The vehicle is a 2009 Escape, six cylinder. The functions that did not work are all controlled by this module. Disconnecting the battery corrected the problem this time but my fear is it will happen again and next time the reboot will not work.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:23 PM
fireside17
New User
Originally Posted by Pocketchange5

I posted this problem on the Escape thread earlier and have had lots of views but no responses so I thought I would try here.

The key fob would not unlock the door, I manually unlocked it with the key. I was able to start the car, however, not only was the gear shift lever locked most of the electrical functions did not work. No windows, radio, door locks, lift gate, interior lights. The AC did work. We disconnected the battery and reconnected it and now everything is back to normal. So what happened? It can’t be a blown fuse because everything works now. I think the SJB controls the inop functions but I can not understand what happened or if it is likely to happen again. I talked to the Ford Dealer and they had never heard of this problem before.
Hi, i have the same problem just like yours.. my car is a Ford Escape XLT 2009... remote doesnt unlock but i used the key, able to start the car, cant move shift gear lever to DRIVE and most of the electrical functions dont work.. thank you so much for opening this up.. it just happened last friday and my car is still at work so i will try to do what you did to yor battery.. i hope it will work to my car.. i will get back to you for the result..

Old 06-23-2014, 09:32 PM
fireside17
New User
Problem Solved...

Hi, I did what you have done to your car, and it worked.. Again, thank you so much for opening this up in this forum.. Now, I dont have any idea why it just happened like that.. I am concerned about security of the driver and passengers on this matter. Ford Dealer should be aware of what's going on in Ford Escape Models..

Old 06-23-2014, 10:07 PM
fireside17
New User

Hi... i just went to the Ford.com site and entered my VIN for recalled vehicle.. and i found out that my car is one of them. the problem is: The Electric Power Steering... i dont really know if that causes the electric power outage of the car.. please you may check your car too at Ford.com for recalls.. thank you