1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

power window help and other electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM
joelswork
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power window help and other electrical issues

Ok, bought this old 1992 E350 diesel for a very good price. Auction said it had been sitting for a year, which was true but it failed to mention the other two years it was sitting! Anyway, there is some wiring woes that the nesting rodents caused which I need help with. I am electrically incompentent without help so here is the list of needs.

1: The driver side window just stopped working. I have the switch off and ready to test but don't know what I am looking at or what to test. I have a red/blue power wire, I assume, coming in on each side of the drivers side switch and the drivers side up and down have a white/black wire on top with a black wire beside it and the bottom side has a black wire under the white/black wire and a yellow wire under the black top wire. The solid blacks are gounds (I think) and the only wires going to the window motor are the white/black and the yellow. What do I test and what are the most probable issues with a sudden stoppage of work (the passenger side was slower when the drivers side was working.

2: The cruise control doesn't work, it did have the wires chewed through by the relay on the airbox in front of the passengers side seat but after splicing them back together I still have no cruise (green/black, grey/red, and brown/white). I am suspicious because there is a newer aftermarket horn button and the button on the steering wheel doesn't work (could that be the clockspring, whatever that is)

3: The air conditioning isn't workig but does have pressure in the lines which leaves me hopefull. again, rodents chewed through the wires connecting a connector on a black canister in front of the passenger side with 2 wires, purple and a black/yellow(maybe a light green).

Which ones am I testing for resistance and which for voltage along with how much of either. Is there somewhere I can get a wiring diagram?

I can figure it out with a bit of help and a good kick in the right direction. I know we have some amazingly talented people on here and I just want to have some of that talent come this way

Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I've often suggested people working with these Ford van electrical systems first head to eBay and get yourself a factory wiring diagram---don't hesitate! They're easily found under Manuals & Literature catgory which is in the Parts & Accessories section of eBay Motors.

From that you can see everything you've asked about here and will greatly appreciate having it around just in case anything else electrical ever develops.

A good example is I added factory PWD's and PW's to my 2000 E250 not originally equipped---I simply parted out a '97 E250 with those options. Robbing the door wiring harnesses and chassis harness connectors made my own harnesses just from the schematics in those manuals.

Since then I've had issues with the door warning buzzer chime device and was able to trouble shoot it very quickly.

I don't know if this is of interest but it's been a world of helpful to me for quite a few years now.

J W