6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

When to use VC-9

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When to use VC-9

I wanted to share a little information since it seems a lot of folks are talking about adding VC-9 possibly without needing it.

According to the below TSB, it is used only when there is contamination in the coolant system.

here is a snippet of TSB 09-8-5;

...Check and maintain the coolant strength (antifreeze and anticorrosion) and flush the cooling system using the recommended service procedures and frequencies detailed below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Inspect the coolant color as stated in the WSM, Section 303-03. If the coolant is not a clear or pale yellow color and has not had any coolant additive added, flush the cooling system with Motorcraft® Engine Cooling System Iron Cleaner and refill with a 50/50 mix of Motorcraft® Premium Gold Coolant and distilled water. No further action is required at this time. If the coolant is clear or pale yellow, proceed to Step 2.

2. Recommend measure coolant antifreeze strength. Measure the antifreeze strength following the recommended frequencies detailed in the chart below. A 50/50 mix provides protection to -34 °F (-36 °C), for operation below this level, refer to the 3. applicable Owner Guide and WSM for specifications. Proceed to Step 3. ...

Old 09-02-2010, 05:49 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As stated in other posts, I am ****. If I am going to spend the 50 bucks or more for new coolant then I will spend the extra 50 for the VC-9. The coolant system is the heart of the coolers life span. ie; egr/oil coolers and cavitation around the cylinder walls and other areas. Every 5 years or 50,000 miles or when the nitrate strips dictate is OK by me.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:24 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck is going to my Ford dealer next Tue. morning for a VC-9 flush and coolant change. No problems, just scheduled maintenance. $237 + tax.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
As stated in other posts, I am ****. If I am going to spend the 50 bucks or more for new coolant then I will spend the extra 50 for the VC-9. The coolant system is the heart of the coolers life span. ie; egr/oil coolers and cavitation around the cylinder walls and other areas. Every 5 years or 50,000 miles or when the nitrate strips dictate is OK by me.
I couldn't agree more. I flush my coolant every year, and use the VC-9 every other year...

Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
I wanted to share a little information since it seems a lot of folks are talking about adding VC-9 possibly without needing it.

According to the below TSB, it is used only when there is contamination in the coolant system.

here is a snippet of TSB 09-8-5;

...Check and maintain the coolant strength (antifreeze and anticorrosion) and flush the cooling system using the recommended service procedures and frequencies detailed below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Inspect the coolant color as stated in the WSM, Section 303-03. If the coolant is not a clear or pale yellow color and has not had any coolant additive added, flush the cooling system with Motorcraft® Engine Cooling System Iron Cleaner and refill with a 50/50 mix of Motorcraft® Premium Gold Coolant and distilled water. No further action is required at this time. If the coolant is clear or pale yellow, proceed to Step 2.

2. Recommend measure coolant antifreeze strength. Measure the antifreeze strength following the recommended frequencies detailed in the chart below. A 50/50 mix provides protection to -34 °F (-36 °C), for operation below this level, refer to the 3. applicable Owner Guide and WSM for specifications. Proceed to Step 3. ...

I am in the process of flushing my cooling system. When I drained the coolant it was a perfect clear or pale yellow. I added 2 quarts of VC9 and drove around for about an hour and a half. When I drained the VC9 and distilled water, it was a deep dark brown. I have drained the coolant system, drove for an hour and refilled with distilled water 5 times presently and the water being removed is nowhere near clear but has cleared up a little each time. I was not having any issues but just wanted to stay on top of things. My coolant was drained, flushed and refilled with Motorcract Premium Gold Coolant and distilled water about 7500 mile ago. I hope I am doing the right thing and am not going to find I had problems and did not know it.

Each flush and refill was done by removing the drivers side block plug and lower radiater hose. I backflushed the heater core once. I removed the degas bottle, as it had traces of a black film at the bottom, and cleaned it.

My experience tells me I am glad I used the VC9, even though the coolant did not appear to have a problem.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke
I am in the process of flushing my cooling system. When I drained the coolant it was a perfect clear or pale yellow. I added 2 quarts of VC9 and drove around for about an hour and a half. When I drained the VC9 and distilled water, it was a deep dark brown. I have drained the coolant system, drove for an hour and refilled with distilled water 5 times presently and the water being removed is nowhere near clear but has cleared up a little each time. I was not having any issues but just wanted to stay on top of things. My coolant was drained, flushed and refilled with Motorcract Premium Gold Coolant and distilled water about 7500 mile ago. I hope I am doing the right thing and am not going to find I had problems and did not know it.

Each flush and refill was done by removing the drivers side block plug and lower radiater hose. I backflushed the heater core once. I removed the degas bottle, as it had traces of a black film at the bottom, and cleaned it.

My experience tells me I am glad I used the VC9, even though the coolant did not appear to have a problem.
You have what I had rusty water after the 4-5 flush. I assume that you didnt take out the thermistat for the vc-9 part of the procedure. The vc-9 needs to be run through it at full velocity on high idle for an hour it gets plenty hot with the thermistat out. I am kinda anel about that stuff I kept flushing. only when i pulled the thermistat for the entire process did it run clean after the 4-5 flush. I got it as clean as i could crystal clear. then put the coolant filter on it. But whatever you do its better than what was in it for shure. Its worth the extra work to take out the thermistat IMO.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
You have what I had rusty water after the 4-5 flush. I assume that you didnt take out the thermistat for the vc-9 part of the procedure. The vc-9 needs to be run through it at full velocity on high idle for an hour it gets plenty hot with the thermistat out. I am kinda anel about that stuff I kept flushing. only when i pulled the thermistat for the entire process did it run clean after the 4-5 flush. I got it as clean as i could crystal clear. then put the coolant filter on it. But whatever you do its better than what was in it for shure. Its worth the extra work to take out the thermistat IMO.
Did you add 2 more quarts of VC9 after pulling the thermostat?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke
Did you add 2 more quarts of VC9 after pulling the thermostat?
Yes i drained it took out the thermistat added 2 quarts vc-9 in added the distilled water put a brick on the pedal high idle 1100rpm or so. You wont get rid of the rusty water untill you flush at full velocity then flush 3-5 times with water. The good thing with the thermistat out is you can reverse flush the radiator and the motor while the lower hose is off and block drain plug is out i dumped 5-6 gallons in it and just let it run though it reverse flow. Very clean when i was done. Dont worry you will get cleared up. VC-9 is great stuff for rust it got rid of mine anyways

Old 09-07-2010, 09:02 AM
69cj
Hotshot
That is its main purpose. If that rust was on the cylinder liners, and it probably was, it was impeding your cooling and causing possible cavitation in that area.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Dieselman58
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so where do I get his VC-9, at the Ford dealer or can I order it from ??

Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The local Ford dealer is the only place I know that carries it.
I paid $19 a quart.

I am trying to eliminate anything that would restrict my newly installed oil cooler. I found a carbon layer of grit lying at the bottom of the coolant bottle and when I cut open my coolant filter I found some contaminates there as well.
Looks mostly like sand and grit between the media pleats. Not much but I am thankful that a filter was in place. (filter was on for about a year with 25k miles) I think once a once-a-year filter change is ok for what I'm finding in there.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
The local Ford dealer is the only place I know that carries it.
I paid $19 a quart.

I am trying to eliminate anything that would restrict my newly installed oil cooler.

You got a bargain. All 3 dealers around me are holding firm at $26 a qt.