Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

curb weight of truck????

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
So I ran across this thread while looking around for something I saw a while back and wanted to re-read.

Originally Posted by Dan_Johnston
... Now, as I was reading through this there was somebody that said that an automatic would out pull a manual, and to that I have to ask "Were you dropped on your head as a baby?!", because, simply put, an automatic transmission sends less horsepower and less torque to the tires than a manual. The reason: an automatic first of all runs off of a torque converter, which does exactly what it says, it converts the engine torque down to the torque that an automatic transmission can handle.
It's a torque converter, not a torque reducer. Two jobs that it does: 1 allows the vehicle to come to a complete stop with the engine running while allowing very little torque to the drive wheels, hence why you can hold the vehicle with the brake. 2. When Engine RPM increases it converts the revolutions into torque. (hence the name). HOW STUFF WORKS LINK

... Then, the next stage is a fluid pump that is run by the engine. An example: an engine w/ an ac compressor has less hp than the same engine w/o an ac compressor because the ac compressor is a pump that requires a small percentage of your hp to be able to work. Well, a transmission fluid pump does the same thing. So, you lose torque mainly with the converter, you lose hp in the fluid pump, and the gearing of the tranny doesn't make up for it.
A transmission pump is NOT the same as an AC compressor, An AC compressor does rob a slight amount of power to compress a gas (freon), a transmission pump is spun by the TC to create pressure to run the other parts of the transmission.

...Another example: performance street cars designed for real speed (example: Ford Mustang GT) almost always have a manual tranny. They don't put manual tranny's in sports cars because they output less power, they put them in there because they output more power. The only time an automatic puts out more power than your average manual is if you're talking about an automatic tranny that's specifically designed for drag race cars running insane hp and torque and those trannys use specially designed torque converters for drag racing that don't even pull until you hit excessively high rpm's, hence the stall converter, but, these setups are race only and you couldn't even drive them down the road right because they wouldn't even move at normal rpm's or shift.
I shall leave alone the piece about the drag racing setups. However when it comes to performance street cars, putting out high horsepower and torque, the reasons to run a manual are to allow the driver to have more control of the vehicle, and they are historically stronger.

... Think about it, with a tractor trailer, the tractor uses in almost all cases a manual tranny, and yes, part of the reason is that manuals if in a vehicle w/ proper gearing for that particular tranny get better fuel mileage, but the main reason is simply that in a manual tranny when that clutch is fully attached to the pressure plate (the pedal totally released) the transmission is being turned at the same rpm's as the engine is turning, in an automatic you lose somewhere around 10%- 20% of your torque, hp, and engine rpm's in the distance between the flywheel and the driveshaft. My percentages might not be exact, but ask anybody else if you think I'm wrong, I bet they'll tell you that I'm right.
They will not tell you that you are right, they will tell you that you were dropped on your head as a baby. A tractor trailer has a lower power to weight ratio than a car or pickup, and to compensate for that they use a manual transmission with 10 or 13 gears, which up until recently, was beyond the capability to have a reliable, inexpensive automatic with that amount of gears.

In the end a TC will help get a heavy load moving and keep it moving over a straight drive any day. Yes I know I'm opening up a can of worms, but I just couldn't leave a thread with incorrect information alone.

Last edited by Benztechnc; 02-12-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: lubrication
Old 02-12-2017, 06:25 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 970 Likes on 766 Posts
Now, as I was reading through this there was somebody that said that an automatic would out pull a manual,
Dan.. I didn't read your whole post but it would seem you missed the memo on this one. It's not whether an auto will out tow a manual or not it's about what the official tow ratings were from Ford. In almost all cases trucks with a manual were rated lower than automatics simply because the auto torque converter can suffer more abuse than a manual clutch.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:53 AM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Ok, I know most of these posts are old, but I decided to chime in. (snip for brevity)
Um, you should know the torque converter, due to having this silly thing called a stator, multiplies the torque. Taught that in Trans A @ Sequoia.

Apparently Ford believes in this too, because the auto trans trucks are rated for higher towing & CGVW. That's straight out of my Ford owners manual.

Probably has something to do with that silly torque multiplication thing in the torque converter.

And by the way, nice necropost, Dan.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:05 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You call a manual transmission faster, however 99% of drag cars are automatic. Hell for the simple fact no matter how good you are, you will eventually miss a shift, a automatic doesn't miss.

Now for real world experience, a buddy of mine I race with, and I for have 7.3 diesels almost identical except his is 5 speed and mine is Auto. He also has more engine upgrades than I do, aswell as about 150k less miles. We both full almost identical race trucks and trailers. From a dead stop I can and will walk away from him, every time he touches that clutch pedal and comes off the gas guess what happens to his Boost? It goes bye bye.