Sponsored by:

Loving my Truck more!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loving my Truck more!

Well..bout a month or so ago, I finally got myself an X! I've lusted for one of these beasts since I was in highschool!

Got the rig, and of course she had a few rough edges, but the price was right! Played it safe, and took out the ESP on her as I knew whatever love she needed was probably going to be pricey!

Drove her for about a month, and started to learn her ins and outs, and finding out all of her rough edges. Sent her in for service on 2 separate occasions (didn't want to overlord them with issues, as I understand from a tech point of view how much of a PITA that can be). Overall, I am satisfied with the service! Here is what the 'ol X got:

1. New Gear **** selector
2. Bump Stops
3. Rear Diff rebuild
4. calipers all lubed up
5. transmission bell housing plate adjusted (slight rattle sound)
6. Front Manual Hubs replaced
7. All fluids exchanged
8. Visual inspection of tranny (pan dropped) just to make sure all was well in there.
9. Head studs replaced
10. Steering Stabalizer replaced
11. Swar Bar Bushing and End links

And to add to that, the dealership I had purchased it from had already replaced a lot of parts on the front end (ball joints, tie rods, etc)

I'm pretty sure that was it thus far. I went ahead and redid all the rotors/pads on her. Now that I feel she is 100% mechanically sound, it's time to start having fun on her interior! Sound system, carputer, etc etc!

It feels good knowing that a lot of the major problems that could hit this truck are taken care off, and I have 3yrs of ESP to enjoy and hopefully the gist of what could go wrong with her goes wrong within those three years I plan to own this thing till the wheels fall off!

This truck is truly a pleasure!

For anyone that is interested, I have all my trucks serviced at Toms Ford in Hazlet, NJ. Kick *** dealership who will go the extra mile for a loyal customer! If you need service, give Sandy a call in the service department! She is head of commercial vehicle repairs, and gets s$*t done!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM
scottf4444
Elder User
Nice. You've got a brand new rig!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Dakrri
Senior User
Sounds like you have all your "ducks" in a row. Good job...is it a diesel?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Nope! V10

Old 08-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Dakrri
Senior User
You did a great job/homework buying it...post some pics sometime.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 PM
nagetech
Tuned
I will soon! Gotta give her a good hand wash now

I have been after one of these rigs for the last couple of years. Went to see so many, and had my heart broken time and time again..I knew finding one in perfect order with ZERO probs was asking 2 much. So, I went for the one with a SOLID Engine/Tranny...and figured everything around it could be repaired if I got a warranty. Made sense 2 me. I'm not 100% mechanically inclined. I can for the most part figure out what the prob is, but to wrench it myself it not going to happen!

I'm grateful the dealership by me are also friends, who understand my love for the truck and are going to help me meet the goal of "restoring" her to almost new condition!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 AM
nagetech
Tuned
Took her out for a test drive last night....and man, she is a world different from when I first got her! Poor thing clunked and moaned here and there, but after all the work done, its ***** to the wall! The wandering issue she suffered from appears to have disappeared! Aside from the usual "vibes" you'd expect from a beast that big, she is smooth sailing on the highway! Even topped her out at about 90 and she felt solid!

Now I gotta figure out how to fix this "squeak" the driver door has. It's the plastic rubbing against the metal thats making the sound. Of course at this point, it's my turn to get my hands in her and figure that out. I won't screw with the under body, but I'll tear apart the inside like it was my job Worst I can do there is crack something, and that's ok

Anyone got any tips as to how they resolved their trim rubbing issues? I was thinking about putting some kind of rubber or "layer" between the trim and the door itself.