1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1977 F100 Steering Column rebuild, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM
marthur9789
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1977 F100 Steering Column rebuild, HELP!

I'm not any pro at car repairs but I thought I would install a new turn signal switch wiring harness into my '77 F100 myself. So I did. I took off the steering wheel, removed the malfunctioning harness, and put in the new one. However, in the course of doing so I screwed up the steering column, like, MAJORLY.

I loosened the nuts that connect the section that holds the harness to the section beneath it, the section the "gear shifter" sticks out of. I shouldn't have done that, I realize now. Anyway, when I loosened those nuts, the bolts they were attached to slipped out of place and disappeared into the column. Also, the "gear shifter" came loose as a result of me trying to force the issue, and now it is loose and wont settle into any gear. When I reinstalled the steering wheel, it wouldn't even key-start because you need to pull the gearshift towards you to fire the engine, and I'm pretty sure that when I pull it forward towards me the gear shift isn't catching onto something it should be catching onto. Also, all the upper sections of the steering column are now sort of "loose" because the nuts holding section to section have gone missing.

How do I get the gear shifter to find its way back to where it needs to be? I'm pretty sure I need to figure that out first before I worry about replacing the MIA bolts.

This whole issue has really kicked my ***. First I couldn't get the wheel off. That took a couple hours. Then I couldn't get the bunch of signal wires to snake down the shaft. That took a couple hours. NOW the damn thing won't start because I made a mistake somewhere.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me some guidance, all you pros!!

(I took pictures. If it will help, I can post them. Though I'm not quite sure how to, since you seem to need a URL picture host.)

Thanks! Hope this is a relatively easy fix!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
First question, is it 2 or 4 WD? the columns are different. And it is an automatic trans., correct?

Old 08-14-2010, 09:25 PM
offroadbronco
Senior User
The missing bolts are causing your shifter to just move around w/o shifting. You have to fish those bolts out and putting those in place is the biggest pain in the ***. I usually try and tape them in place.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:30 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Here's something for you to look at. It's the exploded diagram of the steering column. The first one is the 2WD column, auto & 3 speed. The second is 4WD auto.
Don't know if it'll help but its a start.
Click on the .pdf link to view

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
FPS-8096-Bstclmn77-2.pdf (59.4 KB, 2838 views)
File Type: pdf
FPS-8096-Bstclmn77-4.pdf (40.8 KB, 1707 views)
Old 08-15-2010, 10:34 AM
marthur9789
New User
Yes it's an automatic, by the way. Those square-head bolts are the ones that came loose and slid down the column. How can I go about getting them back out? I'm pretty sure they slid WAY down to the floor...or at least I think they did. Or can I replace them? That may be easiest. What's a good online resource for similar type bolts? (I went to Ace Hardware and they didn't have any square-heads.) Also, let's say I do get the bolts back in place and screwed tight -- would that automatically fix the gear shifter problem?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:43 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
In all honesty, it'll probably be easiest to remove the steering column. They aren't that hard to remove.
I don't know if this would work but try removing the column and turn upside down to see if you can get the bolts to fall out.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:42 AM
ecidemon
Senior User
How hard is it to replace the whole steering column? I probably need to replace mine because my gear shifter is really sloppy (not sure how anyone managed to do that, but they did) and I figure it'd probably be easier to just replace the whole steering column.

I've had the columns down but never actually replaced one. Would it be easier to just replace the shifter assembly or the whole column? (sorry for thread hijack)

Old 08-15-2010, 06:45 PM
marthur9789
New User
yes i'd be interested in knowing how "easy" it is just to remove the column, and how it's done. is it those four big screws at the floorboard, or would i have to get into the engine to loosen it there?

doesn't actually sound very easy -- i'd probably screw it up further....

Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 PM
marthur9789
New User
Also...the section that houses the turn signal wiring harness, how do i get that bugger off? offroadbronco posted a picture above where it is removed, but i can't get it off for the life of me. Course i don't really know what i'm doing, either. Suggestions, please? I'm staring at what seems to me to be an insurmountable task. If it is sort of easy, then i'll try to do it. Otherwise, it's gonna get towed to the shop. A yucky option.... Thanks so far!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Mustang65432
Junior User
How did this turn out for you? I did the same stupid thing...I removed that piece below the steering wheel where the turn signal switch sits, but I did manage to retain the bolts. Now I have to try and get it back together tomorrow. Do those two bolts have to sit in those square notches on the sleeve of the steering column? I could have pulled my hair out trying to put the thing back together...had to walk away from it. I wish I wouldn't have pulled that piece off, but I don't see how you could snake the wires down the column without removing it.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:41 PM
lizardman1
Laughing Gas
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts
One more thing about those square headed bolts. What the heck do they do??? I dont see where they attach anything to anything.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 PM
lizardman1
Laughing Gas
I am talkin about the ones in this here pic. What the heck do they do??? I took she stupid column apart and now putting it together. They dont seem to hold anything from the underside. I think I am loosing my mind!!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:21 PM
lizardman1
Laughing Gas
bumpety bump

Old 10-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Mustang65432
Junior User
Those bolts made me lose my mind too...they definately do something. They hold that plate in place. Without those bolts you cannot get the steering wheel to seat in place. I just about pulled my hair out trying to figure out how to get those bolts back in, but it was actually quite easy.

Put the bolts through the plate and put the nuts on loosely and than you just have to wiggle the plate and bolts until they seat in the square recess below. Once they seat you can tighten them up. It took me a long time to figure that out...I was trying to tape them in place...

Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 AM
lizardman1
Laughing Gas
I am still having a hard time with this. Here is the plate that sits on top of the shifter base, one bolt is inserted into the slot. What the heck is the bolt suppose to attach or attach to?

same part other side.

This is the shifter collar view with the plate on the bottom. Am I missing something here?? or is it me being a taco short of a combination plate

Here is the diagram,it looks like the bolt is used to keep the shift collar and the plate above it together, but there is no attachment point. I do know that the bearing assembly snap ring keeps it all together once the steering shaft is in place.

Quick Reply: 1977 F100 Steering Column rebuild, HELP!