Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:58 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
my latest project: red digital gauges

GlowShift Triple Pillar Gauge Pod #GS-346
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

Cyberdyne Digital Oil Pressure Gauge -Red Heat/Black Bezel/Memory w/Sending Unit #A210E060Y
Cyberdyne Digital Transmission Temp Gauge -Red Heat/Black Bezel/Memory w/Sending unit #A221E061Y
Cyberdyne Digital Water Temperature Gauge -Red Heat/Black Bezel/Memory w/Sending unit #A220E060Y

so iv got them all installed and wired.
(actually the dimmer wire i found by the radio must have been wrong,so i need to swap that.)
and iv got all 3 wired going through the firewall but they stop right there for now.i'll need some more wire.iv got the sending units though and hopefully with help can get those in and ready.

here's what iv found so far:

this will be where i install the Cyberdyne sender for my oil pressure i take it:

Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
Factory turbos and the 093 ATS system use the stock oil pressure sending unit location for the turbo oil supply and relocate the sender.

In that picture the CDR is labled.
Just below that is the glow plug relay with the two large yellow wires going to it.
If you follow the yellow wires toward the glow plug relay, just where they turn black, the oil pressure sending unit is just right and down a little.
You can see the single wire angle connector on the top center of it.

IDIDieselJohn was so nice to post this picture of the E series engine where you can see the back of the engine while it is installed, I borrowed it.
right?

this is where i install the Cyberdyne sender for my water temp:

Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
Mine is in the temp light location.

And that will give you the highest temp readings you will see, just don't freak out when it goes way up there when you are pulling a big load up a big hill.

235 or 240 is not out of the question and not really all that hot.

right?

and where i install my Cyberdyne sender for my trans temp ......i couldn't find a pic.does anyone have one?

thanks!

these can't read anything yet.i can adjust all these so they flash or scroll at certain temps/pressure etc.
any suggestions as to which each should be set at?
230 degree warning for water temp? (i'll be using the hottest point like Dave S did)
200 for trans temp?
oil pressure low warning flash/scroll should be what?
here she is so far!

Attached Images  

Last edited by FORDF250HDXLT; 08-08-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: thanx for title correction mods.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:54 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the oil pressure sending unit n/a goes at the back of the block right below the glow plug controller. you will see a extention (brass or steel) and a sending unit on it. 1 wire. just un thread that with a set of pliers and thread in your new sending unit with a wrench.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
cool.i think i have enough wire to run this one too.
im gunna go do this one now man.thanks for confirmation.
any opinion on what i should set the warning scroll indicator for low pressure at?
id like to set them all so that if they warn me,that's it.it's pull the truck over and turn the key off/fix the problem before starting again.
(or for water and trans temp,it's just a matter of waiting a couple hrs to cool if driving down the road wont do it.)
the point of warning scroll= lights out so to speak lol.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neat looking gauges! Beyond that, for a work truck, all I can say is it's waaaaaay too clean!! LOL!!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:44 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
ahh bummer.they sender's threads are smaller than the factory one.
i wounder if the stock one would be fine to use?

greywynd,
thanks! i like the looks of 'em thus far too.
hahaha,don't let the pic fool you.the only reason is in't covered with sawdust all over is because i windexed and armoralled it before i started.
sadly,i can't keep it looking so clean often enough lol.
i try to dust off as much as i can before getting in,but there's no stopping sawdust buildup from my cloths. in just a week it will look normal again.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What thread is the oil sending unit?

Stock unit is 1/4" pipe thread if I remember right.
On the drivers side of the engine there is a row of five pipe plugs with 1/4" square heads.
Those are 1/8" pipe thread plugs that go into the oil gallery that distrubutes oil to the crank, oil jets and cam.
Any of those that are far enough from the exhaust and steering column would be OK to use.

That would also leave your stock gauge working as well.

As for the transmission temp, I see two methods being advised.

One put the temp sender in a tee spliced into the line out to the tranny cooler.
The other has the sender threaded into a hole drilled and tapped in the tranny pan.

On my 86, the temp light is down on the bottom of the dash in a bad location so see while driving.
So I used the temp light switch location for my temp sender.
With the sending unit being in the head, you are going to see temps up around 230 rather often if you work it hard.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
i believe that the e40d has a spot for a tranny temp gauge, i just backed out the small bolt and the threaded bung was already in there, let me see if i have a pic

Old 08-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru

hope this helps ya

Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking gauges, just curious why you didn't go with the glowshift digital ones?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WarOzz
Nice looking gauges, just curious why you didn't go with the glowshift digital ones?
thanks.
i didn't care for the logo or the writing on them first off.
i was after a complete "black out" clean look when off,free of logo's and writing for a very clean/non cockpit look.

second,they don't offer a memory function.

third,they don't offer an adjustable warning scroll.

fourth,Cyberdyne's offers a lifetime warranty. glow shift's only 1 year.

lastly,i found my Cyberdyne's online for a lower price than those even (and that's even with paying extra for the memory/recall functioned version in all three.)

can't complain at all with their triple pillar gauge pod though.it seems to be about perfect.

now to just find the time to install the sending units so they're not scrolling LO..LO..LO at me lmao.
have to work tomorrow even.
i think just part of the day,and i'll be done.then i can come home and get these suckers connected.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heck I had no idea there was that many differences in digital gauges! I plan to pick up the 10 color white face gauges from glowshift.... a buddy has them in his stroker and they look super nice for the price.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:30 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
real cool gauges f250, I look forward to the day where I spend my money on interesting/cool stuff for the truck rather than on parts.. seems to be coming in a million year lol

Old 08-06-2010, 10:01 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by powerstroker100
real cool gauges f250, I look forward to the day where I spend my money on interesting/cool stuff for the truck rather than on parts.. seems to be coming in a million year lol
oh man,i tell ya it feels nice knowing i have her back up to par pretty much according to her mileage,that years of sitting and neglect have done.
now onto a few good needed and dress up items like these and my boxes feels good.
i can't wait to have a couple good fenders and a paint job and she will pretty much be back to the 60k mile rig,with hopefully many years of just routine maintenance here on out.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
oh man,i tell ya it feels nice knowing i have her back up to par pretty much according to her mileage,that years of sitting and neglect have done.
now onto a few good needed and dress up items like these and my boxes feels good.
i can't wait to have a couple good fenders and a paint job and she will pretty much be back to the 60k mile rig,with hopefully many years of just routine maintenance here on out.
haha rub it injust kidding, but I was at the store today, isspro transmission temperature gauge was 30 some odd buckks I wanted to get it but saved the money just incase other truck expenses come up

Old 08-07-2010, 05:25 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Coalroller,
thanks man! my sending unit screwed right in.
i now have a tranny gauge.

Dave Sponaugle,
the threads on the oil pressure sending unit looks to be the same size that the trans sender's threads are.whatever that is lol.

"On the drivers side of the engine there is a row of five pipe plugs with 1/4" square heads."

i don't seem to be able to find those.will i see them above or under the exhaust manifold? are these on the head or down below on the block?

my water sending unit looks to be an exact copy of the trans sending unit.any idea what ill need to be able to screw this in either of those water temp ports?
which port should i use since i have access to both?

Quick Reply: my latest project: red digital gauges