Sponsored by:

Wireless Headphone Question..Update: with new question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM
KyTruckPlant
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wireless Headphone Question..Update: with new question

OK. Just bought 2 Audiovox wireless headphones (IR) from Best Buy. They dont work (well, one doesn't, I wasn't going to open the other till the one worked). I had a set of old IR ones laying around and they didnt work either. I have a 2003 Limited EX with the factory rear DVD system. Is this system supposed to support wireless headphones? My owners manual mentions the Remote Control, but makes NO mention of the wireless headphones.

Any help out there?

Last edited by KyTruckPlant; 07-23-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Philbil
Freshman User
Headphones...

When I bought my Ex, the headphones were not included. I use the ones which came in the wife's 2005 Freestyle, and they work fine.

I recently went onto Ebay, just looking to get another pair, and a lot of them say they work with the stock set-up.

Glad to see someone tried these in advance and reported results. But I guess it will be better to buy real Ford stuff so I don't have any issues.

Phil

Old 07-23-2010, 02:25 PM
TYZ78F150
Elder User
Originally Posted by KyTruckPlant
OK. Just bought 2 Audiovox wireless headphones (IR) from Best Buy. They dont work (well, one doesn't, I wasn't going to open the other till the one worked). I had a set of old IR ones laying around and they didnt work either. I have a 2003 Limited EX with the factory rear DVD system. Is this system supposed to support wireless headphones? My owners manual mentions the Remote Control, but makes NO mention of the wireless headphones.

Any help out there?
I bought the same ones from Best Buy and I have an aftermarket dvd player installed, and it supports them, but they are "line if sight" only. Too far one way or the other of the beam in the tv, and they don't do squat.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 PM
KyTruckPlant
Freshman User
Update:
Returned the Audiovox wireless headphones to Best Buy, they took em back with no problem.
Called the stealership and talked to the parts guy. He said that they've had issues with wireless headphones. Some factory ones will work in some other models, but not always. Said they had a real issues when the sales guys would just come back and grab a couple of sets when they sold a vehicle that was supposed to come with them, and sometimes they wouldnt work. He said that they are pretty much intended for the vehicle they were designed for. Problem is, they arent producing them for the excursions anymore. There wasn't a single set at any dealership in Louisville.

This leads to my next problem....I know that with some creative wiring, I'd be able to swap out the factory head unit and still have the factory DVD work. But isnt the only way to hear the audio is through the wirless headphones, that you cant get anymore?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM
TYZ78F150
Elder User
Originally Posted by KyTruckPlant
Update:
Returned the Audiovox wireless headphones to Best Buy, they took em back with no problem.
Called the stealership and talked to the parts guy. He said that they've had issues with wireless headphones. Some factory ones will work in some other models, but not always. Said they had a real issues when the sales guys would just come back and grab a couple of sets when they sold a vehicle that was supposed to come with them, and sometimes they wouldnt work. He said that they are pretty much intended for the vehicle they were designed for. Problem is, they arent producing them for the excursions anymore. There wasn't a single set at any dealership in Louisville.

This leads to my next problem....I know that with some creative wiring, I'd be able to swap out the factory head unit and still have the factory DVD work. But isnt the only way to hear the audio is through the wirless headphones, that you cant get anymore?
You can use an fm modulator like I did, and tune it to a preset fm radio station and play through the speakers, but then you have to hear whatever the movie is, instead of the radio. I also needed a "buzz killer", which I bought from ebay to go inline with the modulator, which cuts out most of the engine noise that comes through the speakers for whatever reason. I think it's associated with the alternator.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 PM
KyTruckPlant
Freshman User
The last thing i want to hear spewing from my speakers are the sounds that DVD player emits: Sponge Bob, High School Musical, and whatever else my 5 and 6 year olds latch onto for weeks at a time...over and over and over again.......

On another note, I ordered 2 sets of wireless headphones from a dealer on Ebay. I searched 26 pages of feedbacks till I found an X owner that gave him good feedback. 30 day return minus shipping. Figured I'd give it a shot for $47 for 2 of them. If they work I'll likely buy 2 more so I'll have backups. Will post weather they work or not here along with the vendor and my experience with them.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:23 AM
slenser
More Turbo
I took the ones from our Outlook when we traded it in and they worked in the Ex. I also bought some no-name brands from ebay and the kids can't hardly hear anything. Stay away from those. I emailed the seller, who offered a 2-yr warranty, but I still haven't received a reply. I'm not surprised.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:41 PM
KyTruckPlant
Freshman User
Update: $47 for 2 headphones off of EBay did not work with my '03 X. Just thought I'd let ya'll know........