Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Thinking cap time...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 204 Likes on 108 Posts
Thinking cap time...

I know it's a little out of the ordinary, but I'm still pimping up the electronics side of my truck for my business while out on the road.

What I have...
1. Panasonic Toughbook laptop on a barely used Ottodesk mount, fully equipped with an internal Gobi broadband card (just not activated yet).
2. Cell phone (nothing fancy)

What I need to do...
1. Use my laptop for my GPS (passing on my Garmin to my daughter).
2. Use my cell phone for phoen calls.
3. Use my laptop for internet searches and business connections to the home offive.

What I plan to do...
1. Install a good inverter and hard wire some connectors to minimize my wires hanging all over the place.
2. Install external antenna for increased reception for both my Gobi WWAN and my cell phone (I get out in the boonies at times).
3. Install a GPS antenna/receiver for using the laptop as a GPS.

Challenges (this is where I need some insights from the more experienced)...
a.) I want to use a single antenna for the GPS/WWAN/and Cell Phone gadgets so that I can have a streamlined installation.
b.) I would prefer a wireless connection for the cell phone.
c.) I'm willing to consider installing amplifier for increased cell/WWAN signal receptivity.
d.) I want to keep my installed cost below $200 for the amplifier/antenna system.

Let me know what your thoughts/ideas are for my plans.

Ready?

Set?

GO!!!

Thanks,

Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Pete,I can help you with the GPS/laptop thing.Get Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010/with the GPS receiver,(be sure NOT to get 2009,it has too many bugs/glitches,2007 is my favorite but 2010 is very good as well)I've been running that on my laptop for years(I started with Street and and trips 2007....I'm a truck driver),there's two options...with or without the GPS receiver,be sure to get it with the receiver,it comes with about a three foot usb cable and you lay up on the dash.Streets and Trips is a VERY good program for laptop GPS.If I remember corectly it was like $69.00 from Best Buy.Wilson has an external cell phone antennea they say is pretty good,they also have a cell phone amplifier they say is really good(I don't know about that though,it's pretty pricey),so be sure to do your homework....Phil

Old 07-10-2010, 04:57 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im not much help BUT Doug (Tecman) is a genius with this stuff and is always will to help!

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: Tecman

Old 07-10-2010, 06:29 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Phil:

Thanks for that. I have looked into the software a good bit and have found that iNav's iGuidance, Microsoft's Mappoint, and Micrisoft's Streets & Trips all get high reviews and lots of recommendations. I am hoping to get a multi-channel antenna which will cover both the GPS and cell/broadband applications so that I can minimize the attachments in/on my vehicle. Maybe like this one... http://www.antennaplus.com/products/...gator%204x.pdf ... but I don't have a price on that antenna, and it does not include an amplifier, either, but it is documented to be perfectly compatible with both my cell, laptop's Gobi card, and any laptop software which is running a GPS application.

You're right, too... Wilson seems ot be darned proud of their products, but they also carry an excellent reputation for quality and performance.

Nolan... thanks for that tip. I'll PM Tecman and point him to my thread with a request for his input... that way we can all learn a bit more about this.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:23 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pete I would also ask Joe. (Izzy351) as well. He is pretty sharp with this stuff too.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megawatt00
Pete I would also ask Joe. (Izzy351) as well. He is pretty sharp with this stuff too.
That's who I was going to recomend as well. You know what they say. Great minds...

Old 07-10-2010, 08:48 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pete,

This stuff is over my head. I will be watching and learning though.

Hope you post your final hardware and software configuration.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:16 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Originally Posted by hucka1a
That's who I was going to recomend as well. You know what they say. Great minds...
Must be something about us electricians!!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:14 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F250_
Phil:

Thanks for that. I have looked into the software a good bit and have found that iNav's iGuidance, Microsoft's Mappoint, and Micrisoft's Streets & Trips all get high reviews and lots of recommendations. I am hoping to get a multi-channel antenna which will cover both the GPS and cell/broadband applications so that I can minimize the attachments in/on my vehicle. Maybe like this one... http://www.antennaplus.com/products/...gator%204x.pdf ... but I don't have a price on that antenna, and it does not include an amplifier, either, but it is documented to be perfectly compatible with both my cell, laptop's Gobi card, and any laptop software which is running a GPS application.

You're right, too... Wilson seems ot be darned proud of their products, but they also carry an excellent reputation for quality and performance.

Nolan... thanks for that tip. I'll PM Tecman and point him to my thread with a request for his input... that way we can all learn a bit more about this.

That looks like a nice antenna.

I am interested in how this turns out for you as I would like to do the same thing in my work truck. Just have some other issues to address on it before I get to the electronics! LOL!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:49 PM
F250_
Hotshot
I've messaged Tecman and Izzy351 both. Now, we just need to wait and see what we can all learn from these guys.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got your PM...

Here's what I'd do: Spend the $$$ on a GOOD 500W *pure sine wave* inverter. You don't need to go overboard on 1000W+ inverters with the stuff you want to run. Samlex makes a good one -- I run a 300W version for my testing in the field, and I ABUSE it daily. LOL

I have no experience with external antennas. I run my phones velcro'ed to the window & and my USB GPS sitting on the dash or just hanging from a convenient place. However, mine is always a temporary install since I get a new rental every week or two. I would suggest trying the antenna with no amp first, then add an amp if you think you need it. Are you talking about an amp for cell, WWAN, or both? I'm not familiar with Gobi at all. Does Gobi ride on one of the 3G NW or is it WLAN/WiMAX kind of thing?

I will second Streets & Trips 2007, however, the maps can be a little out-dated nowadays. And I run Win7 now, and the GPS that came with it will not work at all. I've tried several different driver options, and none of them worked. I have a separate USB GPS provided by work (model BU-353), and it works very well. About $40 last time I ordered some.

Hope that helps....

Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Thanks, Joe.

I've reached the same conclusion about using just the antenna first, and adding the amp only if the antenna alone doesn't give me what I need.

Here's a link to the Gobi information (just for your reading pleasure).
Qualcomm Products and Services - Gobi?

Regarding the inverter, I had been leaning towards the 1KW size, but that's probably just because I tend to overdo things a bit. Looking at the Samlex options, they have a 300/600 unit and a 600/1200 unit (continuous/surge capacity), so I would probably be looking at the 600/1200 unit which can be had for about $219. either way, the inverter is phase 2 in my project, with phase 1 being the antenna solution.

Thanks again.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Oh, okay -- I was thinking the next step up was 500. FWIW, I run two laptops with ~200W power supplies off my "300W" Samlex run straight to the battery with a fairly heavy home-made cable harness. I would've liked to have gone a size or two up, but it needs to be able to close in the door because of me switching vehicles so often. It seems to work though, so I can't complain. 1kW is a HUGE amount of AC, and I can't see you running anything needing something that big. Going that big just complicates things needlessly IMHO. A *good* 500-600W inverter should be enough for anyone running "normal" accessories in their truck. Unless you plan on running power tools or a microwave or something, I wouldn't go that big. Just my humble opinion here, but I saw the guy that ran the cables to his 1200W inverter -- I think the copper & connectors cost more than the inverter! And of course, it wasn't true sine wave.

Thanks for the Gobi link -- I'll read about it shortly. Have to get myself back out of weekend mode & focus on work somehow this week.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 PM
F250_
Hotshot
My thoughts on the 1KW unit was oriented to the Timkin Friction Testing machine I use off the back of my truck. I honestly have not run into a situation yet where I needed remote power for it, but there is always a potential. It runs a 1/2 hp motor that develops over 10 amps on peak demand, 4-8 amps for normal ops. I can probably get away with never really needing that kind of remote power.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
I'm not all that up on that fancy stuff, but my new Droid with Verizon does about all of what you described, plus it makes phone calls. It's as nice a GPS as I've seen, plus it incorporates Google Maps with satellite photos and even street views with the GPS. I have all my email accounts coming to my Droid and can access any internet either via 3G or WiFi. Only needs a cradle and car charger. Plus you can carry it in your pocket.

Quick Reply: Thinking cap time...