1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4R100-Fluid & filter change....now idle drops to 400rpm in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 05:59 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
4R100-Fluid & filter change....now idle drops to 400rpm in reverse?

Just performed a fluid exchange per Mark Ks procedures.
Added 19 qts of Mercon V.
Prior to last addition of 3 qts, I dropped pan, installed new filter, reinstalled pan,and then added 3 qts to make it 19 quarts.

Started and ran engine and shifted through all gears. Engine reached operating temp and I let trans reach approx 120F on ScanGauge II.

I did not want to drive truck for fear it may be low or high on fluid.

Upon checking trans fluid (engine idling in Park), I noticed that if dipstick is installed with lettering on handle upright, it reads EMPTY on cross hatched side and FULL on opposite side; If I rotate dip stick 180 degrees (lettering upside down) and check level it reads FULL on cross hatched side and EMPTY on opposite side.

You would think that the dipstick would read same level all around dipstick, but it doesn't.

When I shift into R or 1 and 2, RPMs drop to about 400 and then return to approx 800-900 normal (see NOTE below).

1. What is causing the low idle, and now engine stalling/dieing (see note below) when shifting into reverse?
2. Is it low or high on trans fluid?
3. How is fluid level checked correctly if I am having two different readings on dipstick depending on how it is inserted?
4. Is the engine stalling/dieing not a trans/fluid issue? Perhaps I accidently disconnected something or installed trans filter incorrectly to cause this issue?

NOTE: Just added 8 oz of fluid (as I thought it may need additional fluid due to new trans f

Old 06-29-2018, 07:54 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
update....

Forgetting that I drained pan in order to replace trans filter, I did not add the extra fluid that was drained.

I added an additional 24oz, bringing my total added to.... 20qts.
Tested shifting and all is back to normal!!! No more stalling when shifting to REVERSE.

However, I am still having the same issues with reading dipstick.

On one side of dipstick it shows slightly past full, and opposite side does not show any fluid marking.

Do I need additional fluid? if so, how much?

NOTE: I can't recall how much fluid I drained when draining trans pan, but it was at least one quart, plus filter had additional fluid in it when I removed it. Perhaps closer to 2-3 qts (trans pan drain and filter fluid)?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2018, 10:16 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The lowest clean spot on the dipstick is the actual level. You had the pan off and only added about four quarts after putting it back on. I don't think you have enough fluid in the trans. I recommend setting the fluid level to the middle of the cross hatch on the dipstick. Remember, the lowest clean spot is the actual level.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:25 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Thanks Mark. I'll add fluid in increments of 8oz until I see it register on the lowest spot on dipstick.

What happens if I get to 22-23 qts to get it the full area of crosshatch? Is that too much fluid?

Sure wish the dipstick was more accurate. Weird that it can show full on one side and empty on opposite side.
Nonetheless, now that I know the dipstick's idiosyncrasies, I can deal with it.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I don't know how much fluid your trans will take because you did the steps out of order. If you're going to drop the pan you need to do it after the first time the pan is pumped out, not at the end. I've never done it your way, but I suspect it takes more fluid. How much more? I don't know.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:10 AM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
I did drop pan before the last fill. I dropped pan right after I had drained quarts 14-16 via return line. After this drain, I removed pan, changed filter, installed pan, reinstalled return line, and added last three quarts.

I just can't recall how much fluid was still in pan after it was removed. I don't think it was a full quart....but filter did have some fluid in it as well. I thought maybe 2-3 quarts, but I would guess it was closer to 1.5 quarts between the pan and filter.

I've got 20 quarts in trans now, all gears work fine, but I still don't see fluid on one side of dipstick (trans in park, engine idling,145 degrees trans temps, ambient temps at 85F). One side of dipstick reads full other side empty.

1. Should I add more fluid in increments on 8oz until I see it register FULL on lowest marked side of dipstick?
2. Is 21 quarts about right with new filter?
3. Does truck need to be driven for 10-20 miles before I check dipstick reading and add any additional fluid?

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2018, 10:33 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by SoCalAngler
I did drop pan before the last fill. I dropped pan right after I had drained quarts 14-16 via return line. After this drain, I removed pan, changed filter, installed pan, reinstalled return line, and added last three quarts.
The procedure calls for removing the pan after the FIRST drain, not the last.. And it takes about 6-8 quarts to fill the pan, not 3.

I've got 20 quarts in trans now, all gears work fine, but I still don't see fluid on one side of dipstick (trans in park, engine idling,145 degrees trans temps, ambient temps at 85F). One side of dipstick reads full other side empty.
The side reading full is wiping on the inside of the dipstick tube. The lowest dry spot on either side is the actual fluid level.

1. Should I add more fluid in increments on 8oz until I see it register FULL on lowest marked side of dipstick?
I recommend aiming for the middle of the cross hatch area, not the full mark.

2. Is 21 quarts about right with new filter?
It can vary. 21 quarts is not unusual.

3. Does truck need to be driven for 10-20 miles before I check dipstick reading and add any additional fluid?
Get it in the middle of the FULL/ADD range and then take it for a drive.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:43 AM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Thanks Mark!

Will add, check, and drive as suggested.

1. By dropping pan before last fill, instead of after first, what difference is caused?

Perhaps I misunderstood your post (#5) on this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...questions.html

2. Since I had just drained pan during last drain cycle, pan only had about one quart in it when it was removed....does that sound correct?

3. By not following correct order of pan removal, did I cause any problems to trans?

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2018, 12:31 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Update....

Added one quart (increments of 8 oz) and still no fluid measures on one side of dipstick.
Total fluid added to this point: 21qts

Old 06-30-2018, 01:13 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Thanks Mark!
1. By dropping pan before last fill, instead of after first, what difference is caused?
Perhaps I misunderstood your post (#5) on this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...questions.html
After careful consideration, I've decided that what I said doesn't make sense. It doesn't matter after which pan drain you remove the pan.

But it does take more than 3 quarts to fill the pan. As it says in the post you quoted it takes 6-7 quarts to fill the pan.

2. Since I had just drained pan during last drain cycle, pan only had about one quart in it when it was removed....does that sound correct?
That sounds right.

3. By not following correct order of pan removal, did I cause any problems to trans
No.
Update....

Added one quart (increments of 8 oz) and still no fluid measures on one side of dipstick.
Total fluid added to this point: 21qts
It's going to take a while at 8 oz per step, but you'll get there.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:41 AM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Update....

After adding fluid in 8oz increments (so as not to overfill), I was able to get a reading in the middle of cross-hatched section of dipstick. With the added 6.0L cooler, it may have needed an extra 1/2 quart due to larger size of cooler. No leaks, trans shifts well, and fluid appears nice and clean!

Thanks for all of your patience and assistance Mark Kovalsky!