Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is gutting converters bad for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
But mine has a Y-pipe. With a converter on either side.

Doubt it has one on each side, would negate the need for a Y pipe, based on your comments it really sounds like you have never looked at it to see just what is there.

A Y pipe is used to bring both sides to the same point, to one side or the other, with dual exhaust one wouldn't be needed.

Dual cats might be used to save space, two smaller ones used rather then one large one, both installed in the same pipe, one right after the other. One might be a resonator. I'm just not that familiar with the 150ies or the 302's in this generation of truck to say for sure either way.

When the others state you should have two cats, that is very likely how its set up.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Nine Breaker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danr1

Doubt it has one on each side, would negate the need for a Y pipe, based on your comments it really sounds like you have never looked at it to see just what is there.

A Y pipe is used to bring both sides to the same point, to one side or the other, with dual exhaust one wouldn't be needed.

Dual cats might be used to save space, two smaller ones used rather then one large one, both installed in the same pipe, one right after the other. One might be a resonator. I'm just not that familiar with the 150ies or the 302's in this generation of truck to say for sure either way.

When the others state you should have two cats, that is very likely how its set up.
Ah, I see. I HAVE looked, but I don't exactally know where there are or what they look like. Your pics look a bit more simple than mine... Even though I can barely see under it. I don't have a lift or anything to raise it.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Nine Breaker
Junior User

Wait!! I see it now. The pipe before the muffler is clamped on. All I would have to do is take off the clam, bend the y-pipe out a little, and stick a long pipe down there. I GOT IT!! Haha. Thank you again.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Nine Breaker
Junior User

Danr1, can you check those three pictures in my gallery to see if that is correct?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nine Breaker
Danr1, can you check those three pictures in my gallery to see if that is correct?

Yea you have two cats, do two pipes enter the first one similar to the way mine was? Or is the cat part of the Y pipe itself?

I believe the I6 of this generation uses two exhaust manifolds rather then one large one, 3 cylinders feeding each one and a Y pipe leading into the first cat.

Is yours like that?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Nine Breaker
Junior User
Yea you have two cats, do two pipes enter the first one similar to the way mine was? Or is the cat part of the Y pipe itself?

I believe the I6 of this generation uses two exhaust manifolds rather then one large one, 3 cylinders feeding each one and a Y pipe leading into the first cat.

Is yours like that?
I think the cat is part of the Y, actually. I can't see around it too well. The two pipes connect at the 2nd cat.(My 3rd picture in my gallery.)