6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Removed my dpf

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:30 PM
irly
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removed my dpf

After a lot of reading over the last couple of years, I finally went for it and removed my dpf. I have already seen mileage gains. The dpf was plugged with black carbon and ash even after a regeneration mode before it was removed. The DOC was clean as the day it was installed, meaning it was clean up to that point. The truck even " seems happier " with the blockage removed. It was interesting to see how much particulate fell on to the floor and how much stuff was in there.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of tuner are you using?

Old 06-21-2010, 03:08 PM
irly
Mountain Pass
I went with the Edge racing tuner because it had the delete dpf option. I have only been running it a power level 2 and driving as I would normally. My egt is running about 150 degrees less than it used to which I think is very important.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 PM
homepukes
Senior User
What MPG are you getting?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 PM
ford-speed
Freshman User
you can remove the DPF but I highly and strongly advise of not to do it.Your DPF is a diesel particulate filter,and when we remove the dpf we usually use a filter jack to lower it down, it is very fragile and very expensive.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by ford-speed
you can remove the DPF but I highly and strongly advise of not to do it.Your DPF is a diesel particulate filter,and when we remove the dpf we usually use a filter jack to lower it down, it is very fragile and very expensive.
What's your point? We're not supposed to remove the DPF because it's fragile? The thing is just as hard as the exhaust pipe and not that complex inside so please try not to scare people for no reason. We are well aware that DPF stands for Diesel Particulate Filter but thanks for your expertise on the matter. Congrats to the OP on the removal and I'm VERY sure your truck will enjoy being free of it.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:41 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
Hat's off to you OP keep us posted on your performance and expierence. what's the doc? Cat converter? I have to start looking into doing this.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:45 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
YEA! DPF is crap! just another scam for the dealer to make trucks more expensive~!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 AM
irly
Mountain Pass
I've only been running it since last Friday and haven't taken it out for a good hwy run yet, but I know around town I've gained around 5 liters per 100 km. Sorry for the metric to some of you ( I'm in Canada) I really struggled with the decision to remove it and my dealer even tried to scare me about it, but I do not believe this is not a good thing for the engine. I've even read that some of the raw diesel that is used for regen ends up going back into the oil, How can this be good? I've monitored EGT when in regen and seen temperatures close to 1500 degrees at the heads. I just can't see that it is a good idea. I left the DOC on to try to keep the sound down a bit and when we looked at it I don't think there is much restriction anyway. I think Ford knew that there would be a lot of restriction in the DPF and went ahead and used larger exhaust and a fairly free flowing muffler.It drives like a totally different truck. Any questions don't hesitate

Old 06-23-2010, 07:33 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
YEA! DPF is crap! just another scam for the dealer to make trucks more expensive~!
Trust me there Semper Fi, the manufacturers and dealers hate the DPF even more than we do. thank your congress person for not keeping the EPA under control and allowig them to regulate something that does no harm to the enviornment.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 AM
irly
Mountain Pass
I took it for a good hwy run yesterday, and I can't believe it's the same truck.It pulls like it never did before, my mileage has improved. My mileage even around town/city driving is what I used to get on the hwy.My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 PM
judithgap
Senior User
I have read here that several owners have removed the DPF but I have a couple of questions.
If you remove the DPF, do you have to have a tuner? Secondly, does'nt the removal void both a factory and extended warranty?
Thanks,

Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by judithgap
I have read here that several owners have removed the DPF but I have a couple of questions.
If you remove the DPF, do you have to have a tuner? Secondly, does'nt the removal void both a factory and extended warranty?
Thanks,
Yes and yes, and as a bonus it is a federal crime. I wouldn't worry too much about the federal crime part, but I think the warranty being voided could cost a lot of money. Lots of these guys say they can put the DPF back on and erase the tune, but that plan is full of holes. Like what if you're on the road or you have to be towed direct to the shop. Besides, I don't believe for a second that Ford can't tell that the turner was on there when the motor blew, and lastly it's fraud when you sign the waiver saying you are going to use the truck for off road only and it's fraud again if you remove the tuner and ask for warranty repairs. You could get caught. Other than that it seems like a good idea and there are alot of people doing it.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:31 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by judithgap
Thanks,
Yes you have to have a tuner so your truck does not get permanently stuck in regen mode.

Yes it will void the warranty.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Grunnsetning
New User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Yes and yes, and as a bonus it is a federal crime. I wouldn't worry too much about the federal crime part, but I think the warranty being voided could cost a lot of money. Lots of these guys say they can put the DPF back on and erase the tune, but that plan is full of holes. Like what if you're on the road or you have to be towed direct to the shop. Besides, I don't believe for a second that Ford can't tell that the turner was on there when the motor blew, and lastly it's fraud when you sign the waiver saying you are going to use the truck for off road only and it's fraud again if you remove the tuner and ask for warranty repairs. You could get caught. Other than that it seems like a good idea and there are alot of people doing it.
Because these trucks run like crap with them left on. =/

Quick Reply: Removed my dpf