Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 01:56 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel swap!

Howdy!

2003 Excursion Eddie Bauer

Truck came with the standard wheel (just cruise control)

Is it possible for me to swap this wheel out and gain the extra buttons? (Radio control, a/c controls, etc) I do have the Digital Controls for the climate stuff in the truck. What concerns me is, if I were to get another 2003 steering wheel with the extra functions, will the wiring harness already accomidate this? Or am I lookin into a buttload of work for a few buttons?

Thanks for any help guys!

Old 05-29-2010, 05:15 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would guess that the only way you will find out is to try it... This has been discussed many times, but never fully answered AFAIK. Search for some of my posts in the Navigator Wheel threads.

Since you have EATC (digital hvac), I would ASSUME (read: it would make perfect sense) that the wiring is in place for all the wheel controls. BUT... in my experience, Ford makes their wiring harnesses specific for each option on a vehicle... so it might not be there since your wheel was the standard one.

Here is one thread, but no answer: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-controls.html

and another: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ight=navigator

Old 05-29-2010, 08:25 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Sounds like I might have to boldly go where no man has gone before

Old 05-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nagetech
Sounds like I might have to boldly go where no man has gone before
There are several threads in the forums that deal with swapping a Navigator wheel into either the Expeditions or the Excursions. I know, from what I've read that you will have to get the clock spring and on the trucks with the loaded wheel I believe 1 wire had to be run the length of the column. It might be better to make a deal with the seller to trade out the whole column and the you only have to r&r the key switch and make sure the air bags are the same.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Big_K
New User
nagetech,

Please let me know what you find out...

I am currently TRYING to do this..but ran into some problems....

It might be because of the year the WHEEL I have...but not sure just yet...

Old 05-30-2010, 11:21 AM
nagetech
Tuned
Hey I'll let you know what I find out...still googling my *** off.... I wonder if the local ford dealership will have some answers for me I'd hate to buy any 'ol steering wheel and find out its the wrong one! thats money that can go into a successful mod

Old 05-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Big_K
New User
So far...I have a 05+ Wheel with a 7 Primary Connector ClockSpring for the Excursion....

Neither match up....not sure which is wrong yet..as the EX is in the shop for some work...

Old 05-30-2010, 11:33 AM
nagetech
Tuned
What year is your EX? and can you shoot me some pics when you get a chance of your factory wire harness going into the steering wheel, as well as the harness coming from the steering wheel? Perhaps we can get togethre and figure this out

Old 05-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Big_K
New User
nagetech,

It will be a few weeks for sure...

Mine is an 2005....

Old 05-30-2010, 11:42 AM
nagetech
Tuned
Ok.. I'm working with a 2003! Let's see what we can make happen Maybe make our mark on FTE

BTW, the name's Ernie, no relation to Burt

Old 05-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Ex18C
New User
Steering Wheel Swap

I have a 2005 Excursion Eddie Bauer with just the standard cruise control buttons. I purchased a 2005 F250 steering wheel with the audio as well as cruise control buttons for the swap. It didn't work. My mechanic pulled the airbag and the plugs didn't match. I talked to the dealership this weekend and we are going to open up the column to see if the wires we need happen to just be stuffed down inside or are pulled off to the side somewhere. They also know of a guy who does these type of swaps and will identify the correct wires and make a pigtail if at all possible. I'll update as soon as I know.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Big_K
New User
Originally Posted by Ex18C
I have a 2005 Excursion Eddie Bauer with just the standard cruise control buttons. I purchased a 2005 F250 steering wheel with the audio as well as cruise control buttons for the swap. It didn't work. My mechanic pulled the airbag and the plugs didn't match. I talked to the dealership this weekend and we are going to open up the column to see if the wires we need happen to just be stuffed down inside or are pulled off to the side somewhere. They also know of a guy who does these type of swaps and will identify the correct wires and make a pigtail if at all possible. I'll update as soon as I know.
Please let us know for sure!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

I would love to see a definite answer on this one!!

I bought a steering wheel with all the controls a couple of months ago for my 2003 EB. I have posted up asking about it but in my thread and any other thread I have ever read, there has never been any definite yes or no or "this is exactly what you have to do"??

Case of beer to the first guy that figures it out completely!!!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Big_K
New User
FallstonYJ,

Can you post pics of the Connectors on the Steering wheel...I wan't to see if mine are the same on the wheel I have....

Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 PM
FallstonYJ
Senior User

Originally Posted by Big_K
FallstonYJ,

Can you post pics of the Connectors on the Steering wheel...I wan't to see if mine are the same on the wheel I have....
I will try and post a pic of it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel swap!