Error Codes Shift Solenoid B, Range sensor malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Vladimier
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Error Codes Shift Solenoid B, Range sensor malfunction

1999 F150 4wd.

SYMPTOMs - Put in drive, goes thru all gears fine. Stop at light, hit gas, revs go up, no movement, then :BANG and it starts to move slowly. I can start from low gear no problems, throw it into drive & all works, but at stopsigns, same problem.

OBD FAULT CODE: PO755 - Shift Solenoid B
OBD FAULT CODE: PO705 Transmission Range Sensor Circiut Malfunction (PRNDL INPUT)

I purchased Shift Solenoid B, New Filter & gasket. Have mechanical ability. I don't have a clue what I will see when I take the pan off, as I believe auto transmissions are made on another planet. Will I be able to tell which is the "A" and which is the "B" Solenoid? Does anyone have a picture or link to a picture saying "THIS IS THE ONE"???

Secondly, I was told OBD FAULT CODE: PO705 Transmission Range Sensor Circut was not a huge concern; What is that.

All help appreciated - I'm pulling the pan tomorrow and would prefer to have some guidance first. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Vladimier; 05-31-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Needed soome response
Old 05-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Vladimier
New User
OK _ Duh

Opened it up, replaced the solenoid set. Replaced the filter & gasket. Truck ran FANTASTIC, shifted great - for 20 minutes. Now same problem, same code PO755 Solenoid B, and PO705 Trans Range circuit malfunction (which I had previously ignored).

Indicator on dashboard, mechanical, not digital, is always at least one notch off. Apprears there is an adjustment on the side of trans, or would the whole sensor be causing the B Solenoid crap? Stinks having to manually shift an automatic truck.

Another hint - Shifter Has 1, 2, D (w/circle around it) N, R, P. O/D light never goes on or off, regardless of what I do to the pushbutton on the shift handle.

Man, I'll offer a reward at this point..... Please help me.

FYI - anyone contemplating Solenoid changes - piece of cake - be gentle, too many thin plastic parts, otherwise easy.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Supergordo
Freshman User
Did you replace the fluid when you put in the Solenoid? What did the old fluid look like? Was there any debris in the Pan? How many miles are on the tranny, and is this a 4R70W?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Vladimier
New User

Used all new fluid (Mercron 5) old fluid looked pretty darn good (clear). No debris. Magnet in pan had thin coating, nothing alarming. 120k miles.

Cable on trans for shifting is WAY off in adjustment - wondering if that has anything to do with anything (fishing here) And it worked for 30 miles no problem before throwing the same codes/

Old 06-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Supergordo
Freshman User
well I would definitely get that adjusted properly and maybe change out the MLPS.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Vladimier
New User
Follow up - Please - Still need help - More clues

I have made any and all changes in RED

1999 F150 4wd. CANADIAN MODEL - 14 bolt pan. Gears are 1, 2, and D with a circle around it

Symptoms- Put in drive, goes thru all gears fine. Stop at light, hit gas, revs go up, no movement, then :BANG and it starts to move slowly. I can start from first gear and 2nd gear no problems, throw it into drive & all works, but at stop signs, same problem. After warmed up, I must start from either 1st or 2nd gear

OBD FAULT CODE: PO755 - Shift Solenoid B
OBD FAULT CODE: PO705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL INPUT)

O/D light never goes on or off, regardless of what I do to the push-button on the shift handle. I found OD WIRES CUT AT BASE OF SHIFTER - NOT CONNECTED

Opened it up, replaced the solenoid set. Replaced the filter & gasket. Used all new fluid (Mercron 5) old fluid looked pretty darn good (clear). No debris. Magnet in pan had thin coating, nothing alarming. 120k miles.

Truck ran FANTASTIC, shifted great - for 20 minutes. Now same problem, same code PO755 Solenoid B, and PO705 Trans Range circuit malfunction (which I had previously ignored) I replaced this, and now no longer get this code.

CURRENTLY - Same symptoms, same fault code OBD FAULT CODE: PO755 - Shift Solenoid B (even after replacing)

Can it be a faulty B solenoid again? Installed wrong? Three wires for O/D not connected be the problem? Is there a speed sensor in the 99 F150 in the Speedo? Could someone previously have messed with the computer for shifting? And this is gonna sound really stupid - Brakes feel mushy.

I'm seriously begging for help here - Once this thing gets going, it's great.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:31 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
The P0755 code means you have an electrical fault in the SSB circuit. Assuming that the problem was not the solenoid (replaced), that leaves you with either an intermittent wiring harness (either engine compartment or internal transmission) or a faulty PCM. The wires on the shift lever are not the problem for this fault.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Vladimier
New User
"...intermittent wiring harness (either engine compartment or internal transmission) or a faulty PCM..."

So what go you suggest?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:03 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Follow the harness from the transmission up to the engine compartment, look for worn, chaffing on the harness and wires. We had one a while back that set that code and the harness was worn up near the bell housing.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Vladimier
New User
Excellent - I'll advise...

Old 03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
dave38
New User
97 Ford F150 Transmission Problems

I have the same problem as Vladmier with the transmission not wanting to go from Drive at stop lights but I can shift it to low and it takes off fine...I have replaced the shift solenoid B and it has not fixed problem...I changed filter and new fluid at the time pan was clean of any debris....Did Vladmier find the problem? was it PCM or wiring harness Problem?...Please help my son needs this to go back in forth to work...Thanks David

Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 PM
dave38
New User
Has anyone had this problem. I replaced so many things already and its still won't take off in drive. please send me your info if you have any at all.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 PM
paker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this is an old thread. But I wonder why no one paid attention to TRS malfunction. It's simpler to replace or adjust it than shift solenoid.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:57 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by paker
I know this is an old thread. But I wonder why no one paid attention to TRS malfunction. It's simpler to replace or adjust it than shift solenoid.
Read post # 6.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:22 PM
Michaelrjr
New User
did you still have reverse?

Quick Reply: Error Codes Shift Solenoid B, Range sensor malfunction