Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Bad oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 PM
rmalottwtes30
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad oil leak

I am trying to chase down a huge oil leak, I been up under the truck inspecting and cant figure it out, I took some pictures for others to see. I also just did the oil drain modification today so hopefully it helps. My motor has new valve cover gaskets, and only Gray RTV silicone for oil pan gasket. Should I of used a cork gasket? I plan on taking the motor out to look for the leak. I also replaced front and rear main seal.

Anyone have ideas on what may be causing the leak by looking at these pictures?

The whole oil pan is covered along with the crossover pipe.

The starter is soaked

Behind the intake where the turbo drains

Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check the oil sending unit, it's on the back top of the motor behind the air filter housing.

Banks Turbo, hows the oil lines, and the oil return, I'm not sure how the banks returns the oil.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Banks sidewinder (wastegate system) has the oil pressure switch relocated and the old port should be plugged. The feed line is on the lower left rear of the block tapped in the main oil gallery with a 90 degree fitting and a SS braided line running to the top of the turbo.
I'd check the head gasket area of the head/engine mating surface in the rear passenger side. This location is where the oil drain back hole is in the gasket.

Are you sure the valley pan is sealed in the back? check there too. A bright light and a mirror will help to see. Also check the turbo drain tube as this could be cracked or the flange on the bottom of the turbo could be loose or in the need of a new gasket.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you install the front seal right way round.......

When sealing the pan the front corners will be RTV from the front cover still, when the new pan RTV meets it, it has to be totally oil free to get a good seal.

Do a check of the fuel lift pump.....my bolts for no apparent reason came loose over time and oil was puking back over the starter.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Big Green Machine
Junior User
I'm trying to chase down a leak as well although not quite as bad as yours. I will check the oil sending unit since I haven't yet. I wanted to ask and see how difficult the rear main seal is to replace. Can it be done without removing the engine? Never done it and am hoping you have a little guidance. I wish you luck on finding the leak!
Thanks,
Dale

Old 05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
rmalottwtes30
Posting Guru
Checked the fuel pump still tight. I got it all back together, still gotta leak. I pressure washed it real good, took it out for spin to warm it up, when I got back I found a small stream of oil in the center of the oil pan in the back, looks like its coming from the rear main seal, and also the front seal also looks like its leaking. The person that installed the rear seal said it didnt look right idk what he meant but apparently he was right, he said something about it going in farther then what he thought it should go in.

Anyone have pictures of a properly installed rear seal?