1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

my 53 carb situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 PM
tn.jed
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 53 carb situation

1953 f-350 215 6cyl 1bbl holley 1904

my carb is a mess with a crack in the bottom of the float housing and a warped mating surface where the cover screws on. someone kept tightening it to stop a leak and it warped it real bad and cracked it on the bottom, the numbers are wore off so i can't even get the right rebuild kit for it and if i did i wouldn't be sure a gasket would seal the float bowl the way its warped.......
I have an extra motorcraft 2150 for my 79 f350. hmmmmm. has that been done b4???
i did some searching and see a bunch on carb conversions not this specific though...

i found a adapter that goes from a 1bbl to a 2 bbl holley with a 4 bolt pattern of 3 1/2 x 5 1/8... so i measured my 2150 and it is the same bolt pattern, hmmmm could it work?? the adapter is from summit. poke here-----> Trans-Dapt Performance Products 2044 - Trans-Dapt Performance Carburetor Adapters - Application - SummitRacing.com

Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
I have a lot of parts for the original carb do you want to go with the newer one or do you want some parts?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:57 PM
tn.jed
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fifty-two_f1
I have a lot of parts for the original carb do you want to go with the newer one or do you want some parts?
I don't think parts will fix the 1904 I have.... the crack i could prolly jb weld but the warped surface where the float bowl cover mates up may be too bad to seal a new gasket so im not sure what parts you may have but i would need the whole main body of the carb either way I'm not sure what rebuild kit it takes because you can't make out the numbers on the carb.. is there a universal type kit for these. it looks like my parts guy show 3 diffrnt kits for the 1904 carb so im not sure which to get.

I have the 2150 and I rebuilt it as a spare for my other truck about 6 months ago. if i can get a carb kit for 40 bucks and hope it doesn't leak or i could spend 45 bucks and put on a carb i know works great and has no issues. thats what i was thinking and was trying to see if it has been done or could be. i could always change it back down the road if I wanted a more original look. What do you think. thats why im here to get experienced advice

I saw in the npd catalog they only list one carb kit for this application so maybe i just order one from them and it will be right but then it may still leak. npd is like 61 bucks the kit from same at the parts store in town

Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Well as long as the throttle linkage hooks up to the other carb go for it. I have the housing if you need it.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Would this work? They're cheap, only $13 at Summit. Adapts the ever-popular Model 94 flat V8/Y-block two-barrel to a single barrel manifold.

Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ever popular ross ???? mine's a pain in the **** !!! that's why i got the adaptor from speedway , and have too find / get me a left side linkage , to put a rochester on my flatty !!! that holley or anything with that name on it is giving me fits most of the time !!!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:48 PM
tn.jed
Freshman User
albuqu--- thats a nice adapter the one i was looking at on summits site is like 40 bucks do you know the bolt hole spaceing on that one and maybe a part number i can look it up real quick with

found it. i think the other one iwas looking at would work better. looks like the one you put up would hold the carb sideways and make it difficult to figure out the linkage the one that i put a link too looks like it would be better the carb would be mounted faceing forward and i would just have to extend the linkage out to the otherside of the carb and be good. the bottom of the carb only needs to seal around the edges i don't think the open center on the adapter will really matter if im not mistaken.. the manifold the 2150 goes on has the 2 holes but they arent ment to seal they leak to provide vacuum to accessories like the choke pulloff, i would just plug up the nipples and as loong as the base is sealed around the edge, it all goes the same place

Old 05-16-2010, 07:15 AM
tn.jed
Freshman User
the adapter came yesterday... it almost works....... i had to oval out one of the holes a tiny bit to get it on to the manifold and on the back side of the adapter it dips in like a 1/4 inch and the carb hangs over with about a 16th of an inch gap where it will leak so i gotta figure out a way to seal it up and its good to go, well other than the linkage but i gotta get it on and sealed first... i don't think any rtv or silicone would hold on. I am tossin around the idea of making a plate to fit the carb with an open center and than bolting that down kinda like a spacer that will seal the carb to the plate and the plate to the adapter. i think it would be pretty easy to make and if i could get ahold of a piece of 1/4" or even 1/16" thick aluminum to make it out of it would be rigid enuff to seal properly i may go in to town today to try and find something for it, might just have to weight until monday though. i have to get two longer studs for the manifold so they stick up far enuff through the adapter and i will need to get some red lock tight to put on there so it doesn't come loose and get sucked in. it looks promising though. as for the linkage it will need to move over adout 8 inches to get to the other side of the carb, i was thinking just a simple steal rod bent into a u shape attached to the firewall at the bottom of the u than at the top ends one hooked to the arm that comes out from the pedal and the other with a cable to go up to the carb, a spring from the firewall to the carb and its done, other than a few bends to get it to pull full throttle without any stress on the linkage. i think the flathead v8 used a similar linkage to get over to the center of the engine just i need to go the other direction with mine. i'm gonna look up some parts and see if i could get one and somehow reverse it, or just make my own but at least i have a working plan now will post some pictures of it when i get a chance so you can see how it was done in case anyone else gets the idea

Old 05-18-2010, 03:53 PM
tn.jed
Freshman User
got it running today with the motorcraft 2150 2bbl carb runs great and starts right up no problem. i used this adapter from summit Trans-Dapt Performance Products 2044 - Trans-Dapt Performance Carburetor Adapters - Application - SummitRacing.com and i had to make a plate out of 1/8 aluminum to fit the bottom of the carb than bolted it down. the shape of the plate i made is the same as the original gasket used on the 2150 and i used that gasket the plate and the provided gasket that came with the adapter and i made a gasket out of thick heat resistant gasket material for the manifold side of the adapter now i just gotta do the linkage

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=34998