Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting truck flat black

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
MrRogers
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
painting truck flat black

Howdy fellas,

my truck has a beautiful black paint job (not original) but it's starting to flake and got some rust comin through some places. I'm past the point that touch up paint can help so i'm gonna rattle can her. Flat black was my initial thought. Any ideas? I'm tryin to go kinda cheap here and thought she still might look kinda cool. Any tips or advice on this? Never sprayed a vehicle before.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
ken2400
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going to keep it a while I would try to brush a spot and see how it turns out. Spray is fine for looks and fast BUT I find brushing is cheaper in the end. Not too thick.

Good luck and show your truck off by posting a picture when you are done.

Originally Posted by MrRogers
Howdy fellas,

my truck has a beautiful black paint job (not original) but it's starting to flake and got some rust comin through some places. I'm past the point that touch up paint can help so i'm gonna rattle can her. Flat black was my initial thought. Any ideas? I'm trying to go kinda cheap here and thought she still might look kinda cool. Any tips or advice on this? Never sprayed a vehicle before.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
cyclegrip
Senior User
Don't do it outside :P

The key to a nice paint job is usually the prep and how much you pay attention to detail

Spraying flat black out of a spray can can get blotchy so just watch spraying it.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:48 PM
MAS96F150
Senior User
i rattle canned my girlfriends 79 flat black and primer grey. dollar cans at walmart, bout thirty bucks worth of paint and tape. did it outside, turned out pretty cool looking, dried fast enough that bugs didnt get suck in it either.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:54 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Like any other paint job prep work is the key. Give the truck a wash, make sure any area to be painted is good and clean. Take some sand paper and knock out any surface rust or bubbles.

Take some masking tape and news paper and tape off/cover any areas you don't want painted, glass, trim, and what not. Use several light coats instead of spraying it on thick. It'll keep the paint from running and give ya a more uniform look, wait maybe 20-30 minutes between coats.

I painted mine in my garage, just left the door up and used a box fan to blow the fumes out.

I sprayed my 86 F150 with flat black primer a couple years ago, its still holding up well. Not the prettiest truck by any means, but looks a ton better then it did. Not to shabby for an afternoon worth of work and maybe 30 bucks outta pocket...

Old 05-11-2010, 02:01 PM
troyhudson
New User
quite a long read but def worth looking into

John Deere Blitz Black??

Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by MAS96F150
i rattle canned my girlfriends 79 flat black and primer grey. dollar cans at walmart, bout thirty bucks worth of paint and tape. did it outside, turned out pretty cool looking, dried fast enough that bugs didnt get suck in it either.

Those walmart cans suck! Not a good covering spray head. I gave a parts truck a gloss black paint over just to make it look good enough from the road, up close, had runs and weak spots..... but what to expect from a $1 can of spray paint. Now the more $$ cans had better spray heads but wouldn't swap over to the $1 cans.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
MrRogers
Senior User
Jimbo that looks nice. exactly what i'm going for. I'm just trying to cover and protect the truck for the next 3 years until I can get around to repainting it the right way. Btw here are some pics of my problem spots.
Body problems pictures by MrRogers_03 - Photobucket
let me know if this link don't work.

Thanks,
Josh

Old 05-11-2010, 04:55 PM
93MARKIII
Senior User
hope your summers are milder then in my neck of the woods......a flat black truck gets you 3rd degree burns around here at least three months out of the year.....

i do like the look also, but its no fun trying to tailgate or work on it unless you can find some shade somewhere

Old 05-11-2010, 05:46 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
You'll regret it sooner or later.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:05 PM
snapps
Junior User
flat blacks a neat look. I was thinking about doing the same. I thought about getting one of those fancy spray gun attachments for the cans if I did it that route. Never used one but it may make the $ cans spray better. Worth a try. I can tell you that primer is verrrry important, even when the can says you dont need it. Good luck! Post some after pics if you decide to do it.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:06 PM
bruegge
Freshman User
I had a buddy use an airless house sprayer, looked good (from a distance anyway). If you can find the equipment that's the route I'd go, quick and cheap!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 PM
MAS96F150
Senior User
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
Those walmart cans suck! Not a good covering spray head. I gave a parts truck a gloss black paint over just to make it look good enough from the road, up close, had runs and weak spots..... but what to expect from a $1 can of spray paint. Now the more $$ cans had better spray heads but wouldn't swap over to the $1 cans.

i never said it looked perfect lol. and they dont cover very well but it looks 100% better than it did when we first got it. just trowing out ideas for cheap flat black. held up well enough through the first winter to. rust started coming through again but i didnt even sand it down.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:52 PM
clayman01
New User
I painted my CJ-5 a few years ago using a 4 inch foam roller and rustoleum (gloss black) out of a can. I prepped everything nice and clean, primed any bare metal (with spray) and rolled it on in the shade of a tree. Kinda like painting patio furniture. The paint laid down pretty smoothly without roller marks, I've seen paint jobs from maaco with worse orange peel. I put a couple coats of herculiner inside the tub at the same time.

Most don't believe me when I tell them until my wife backs-up the story. She watched me do it.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:35 PM
snapps
Junior User
"Clayman" You have any pics of your "shade tree" paintjob?! lol! would like to see that! Has it held up pretty good?

Quick Reply: painting truck flat black