Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Minnesota Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Minnesota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fordpower88

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Postmaster

msmenne17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.msmenne17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Spindle Nut Socket

I am having a helluva time finding this dumb thing. I've been to almost every auto parts store and nobody has the correct size. I tried AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, O'reilly, Napa, Auto Value and a tool shop.

Anyone know where I can get one or borrow?

I need a 6 lug/prong socket. Probably 2 7/8" (the 2 5/8" at the parts stores is too small).

I live in So. MN just south of Mankato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equium View Post
Tell him the lug nuts on your truck require more torque than his car puts out!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Post Fiend

DieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to behold
I wish I could be of some kind of help for you Michael except to say good luck. How much of an emergency is this? Is this your only transportation or can it sit for a day or two until we can locate you one?

2001 F350 Lariat CC LB 4X4, Various mods
http://www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org/
Old 05-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Postmaster

msmenne17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.msmenne17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd say it's urgent, but not an absolute emergency. I borrowed one from AutoZone this weekend only to find it was too small. When I had the tire off, I noticed the rotor has hairline cracks all over it.

This is my daily driver, so I'd like to get it done SOON.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Postmaster

mndiesel has a great reputation on FTE.mndiesel has a great reputation on FTE.mndiesel has a great reputation on FTE.mndiesel has a great reputation on FTE.
In your location I would call Snap on or mac tool hqtrs and ask for a number of a local dealer and get one from them. They pretty much carry anything, I know I used to do that. Good luck on your search......
07 VW Eos
SOLD, lol
Old 05-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Post Fiend

dlibson has much to be proud ofdlibson has much to be proud ofdlibson has much to be proud ofdlibson has much to be proud ofdlibson has much to be proud ofdlibson has much to be proud ofdlibson has much to be proud ofdlibson has much to be proud of
Tom's idea is best for fast...

I probably have what you need in my tool box, but I'm not all that close to you...

Old 05-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Postmaster

ok. I finally figured out what my issue was. I was looking at the Hub Body that is simply held in by a snap ring. Since I've never taken apart a hub before, I was going completely off of descriptions.

The Spindle Nut I was looking for sits behind the Hub Body. The Hub Body simply slides out of the hub after the snap ring is removed.

AutoZone's repair guides weren't functioning so I couldn't see anything from there. They aren't always 100% correct either. Last night I finally found someone on FTE (I think) that had posted a Ford procedure guide with expanded views of the axle/hub/rotor assembly. I have all of the parts and things I need (I think). I'm going to tackle this tonight. I had to go buy a BFH to seperate the hub from the rotor and get the wheel studs out of the hub/rotor assembly. We'll see how much of a pain the rust is to me.

I sprayed it with with some Liquid Wrench this weekend so it's had a couple days to sit and penetrate. This stuff has been AMAZING. I twisted a torx head for my socket set a while back. Sprayed this stuff on it and let it sit for a couple days. Came back with the same twisted torx head and everything came apart nice and easy.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Post Fiend

DieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to behold
Any luck on this project Michael?

2001 F350 Lariat CC LB 4X4, Various mods
Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Postmaster

Yup.. got it done a couple weekends ago. Took about 7-8 hours in total.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 PM
New User

kurtm96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
spindle nut socket

having the same problem that msmrnne17 had cannot find a 2.875in outside 6 prong socket for my 96 bronco
Old 10-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtm96 View Post
having the same problem that msmrnne17 had cannot find a 2.875in outside 6 prong socket for my 96 bronco
Make sure your aren't looking at the Hub. The spindle nut sits behind the Hub. The hub is held in by a also ring. Once the snap ring is out, the hub will simply slide out, exposing the spindle nut.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM
New User

kurtm96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks for the info. i,m going outside now and take a better look at it.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Minnesota Chapter

Tags
2005, 96, axle, escape, f150, f350, ford, minneaplois, nut, rear, socket, sockets, spindle, truck, wrench