1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear Duratrac pics and review!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:23 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You won't find a 315/75/16 tire rated for 80 psi, its due to the tire geometry in addition to the ply rating. The Duratrac that size is rated for 65 psi.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:35 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just by looking at the tire I would suspect that it is prone to noticeable squirm or tire roll. From a pure on road stability and squirm/sway control point of view, tires with solid or continuous ribs are best.

The more nobbies and the smaller they are increases squirm. Softer rubber and thread depth contributes even more to squirm and so does the actual tire size.

Duratracs - They have lots of nobbies and some that are pretty small. Nobbies have siping cut into them making them have more surface for increased traction.

Rubber is probably softer than a mud tire because it is targeted for winter traction. Add all those factors up and it could equal a noticeable amount of squirm and possibly an undesireable towing tire.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bucci
Just by looking at the tire I would suspect that it is prone to noticeable squirm or tire roll. From a pure on road stability and squirm/sway control point of view, tires with solid or continuous ribs are best.

The more nobbies and the smaller they are increases squirm. Softer rubber and thread depth contributes even more to squirm and so does the actual tire size.

Duratracs - They have lots of nobbies and some that are pretty small. Nobbies have siping cut into them making them have more surface for increased traction.

Rubber is probably softer than a mud tire because it is targeted for winter traction. Add all those factors up and it could equal a noticeable amount of squirm and possibly an undesireable towing tire.

reading this made alot of sense. good thing i dont tow alot, but when I do, i'll be sure to let you guys know how it handles. reps sent.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:50 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
well, one thing i figured out today is i can still go full lock. it's very unpleasant, but nonetheless. i wasnt sure before. but i think if i would have went with something that didnt have such big lugs, it wouldnt be so violent when they do rub the leafs.

went and washed the truck today. went to the same automatic i always do. last time i went there with my old tires, i really broke them loose trying to get over the stop hump. the duratracs just crawled over it with no prob. i'm anxious to see how they'll do in a heavy downpour.

also, pullin out the nieghborhood today, i found out the good ole' 7.3 has enough power to really turn them over!!

Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know a few people with the Goodyears they seem to be okay they are getting a year out of them about 30,000kms (19,000 miles) which is pretty d*mn good for tires on a diesel pick up. My brother has them on a Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins he is getting decent life out of them they don't howl I think my brother will get 30,000kms out of his tires.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:26 AM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clintusaf

The not so good:
1. They do rub my leaf springs at full lock
Here is how I fixed my leaf spring rub:
1. turn the wheels all the way side to side measuring the gap at the bump stops. (might have to get someone to do this for you while you measure)
2. tack weld something to the bumpstops slightly thicker than the measured gap on each side. (I used a 1/4 inch steel nut)
3. grind it down to the correct angle to align with the stock geometry.
4. Wwallah! No more rub.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:25 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Ill look into it. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:34 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by cartmanea
When you say they have considerable roll to them, so you mean they feel soft? Make sure you max the front tires out to the rated 65psi. Mostly its due to the wheels being too narrow for the tire.
Originally Posted by clintusaf
I can tell there is more body roll at higher speeds and yes they do feel kinda soft. i'll be getting some new wheels down the road but the stockers will have to do for now. ill have to check the psi and make sure they are at 65 too. thanks.

Problem is, max PSI will wear out the middle and still not realy help the roll problem because of how the sidewalls are pulled in. They are softer even with the right wheel because they are a taller tire. I went through this when I went up to 305/70r16. New wheels made a big difference but still a little narrow for the tire IMO. I was getting a lot of wear and noise because the tire was crowning. The wear has improved, and the handling too but I would rather see a slightly wider wheel on a 305 or 315 tire, maybe 8.5 to 10 inch. Problem is then, the wheel has to stick out because of the knuckle.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:13 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by aldridgec
Problem is, max PSI will wear out the middle and still not realy help the roll problem because of how the sidewalls are pulled in. They are softer even with the right wheel because they are a taller tire. I went through this when I went up to 305/70r16. New wheels made a big difference but still a little narrow for the tire IMO. I was getting a lot of wear and noise because the tire was crowning. The wear has improved, and the handling too but I would rather see a slightly wider wheel on a 305 or 315 tire, maybe 8.5 to 10 inch. Problem is then, the wheel has to stick out because of the knuckle.
I checked my psi and it was about 62 all the way around. I do want to go with a wider wheel. Ill just have to chose one with a close to stock offset and backspacing. Any suggestions on wheels?

Old 05-09-2010, 03:50 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
With a 315/75/16, 0 to -12 offset is optimal. 0 will tuck them under the fenders slightly (1/4") and be about 1/2" from the frame at full lock. -12 will be about 1/2" further out.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
I know the ultra 164 16x8 has an offset of -13. Would a 16x8 be wide enough to get of my roll in the tires.

Also, just went through my first tank of fuel and happy to report very little loss in mileage.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:30 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
I'm running 315/75/16 Toyo ATs on a 16x8" rim right now (back to the set that came on my truck when I bought it). Seems stable, though definitely a softer ride than the E Rated 35x12.50 on 18x10s I had before. The Toyo's are only D rated, 50 psi, so they are soft, but not squirmy.

Goodyear recommends rims 8-10" wide for the 315/75/16 DuraTrac, so I'd shoot for 9" wide if possible.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Personally with anything bigger 285 I would move to a 9 inch wheel, but I think they are harder to find. Lot's of 8 and 10 inch. I've seen 305 and 315 on 10 inch wheels and the wheels and tires stick out too much for me, I don't care for the look at all.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:35 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Width does NOT determine how far they stick out, that is all in the offset and/or backspace.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:44 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cartmanea
Width does NOT determine how far they stick out, that is all in the offset and/or backspace.

Doesn't a 10" wide wheel with the same backspace as a 8" wide wheel stick out past the fender more?

Quick Reply: Goodyear Duratrac pics and review!!