Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any other intake manifolds????

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:47 PM
93_flareside
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any other intake manifolds????

To start, I'm new to the site.

I've been looking for what seems like months, only a couple of weeks, for an intake manifold and t-body for my truck. Is it me, or is there only 1 intake manifold that I can put on my truck. (other than stock) I've ported and polished my stock one to perfection, for the stock motor. I've now aquired a BUILT 393 stroker- yes 393!!! Anyway, I'm looking for more air flow than the stock intake can put out. Some b/s about air and fuel mixture blah blah blah...

I've come to the realisation that my beloved baby is; dare I say, OLD. Nobody makes anything that I can find to fit my need, except Eldelbrock. They make an upper and lower intake. Also a t-body I believe. I've also seen that BBK performance puts out a t-body.

So to make a small problem: long winded, are those my only options? Or, am I missing something so big its already run me over and around the corner?

Thanks in advance for an feed back!
93_Flareside

Old 04-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 965 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by 93_flareside
So to make a small problem: long winded, are those my only options? Or, am I missing something so big its already run me over and around the corner?
Yeah.. you're not seeing all those car style intakes, TFS, Holley, and the other Edelbrock offerings(Victor) to name a few. They are all single throttlebody but the larger intakes will accept up to a 90mm TB so total airflow isn't a problem. To feed a stroker this is what you need, and using one isn't as hard as it seems, you just have to modify the wiring harness(pull off some tape) and vacuum lines a little so everything will connect and replace the truck dual intake tubes with an aftermarket single setup. You will also need to fab a throttle cable bracket or dig up bracket and cable from a Lightning or Explorer, and buy a throttlebody but you were doing that anyway.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM
93MARKIII
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
before we go any further........

lets see some pics of that ol' girl over in the show off your truck thread !

welcome to the site ! tons of great advice and a vast store of knowledge with these guys around here

Old 05-01-2010, 08:17 PM
93_flareside
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
Yeah.. you're not seeing all those car style intakes, TFS, Holley, and the other Edelbrock offerings(Victor) to name a few. They are all single throttlebody but the larger intakes will accept up to a 90mm TB so total airflow isn't a problem. To feed a stroker this is what you need, and using one isn't as hard as it seems, you just have to modify the wiring harness(pull off some tape) and vacuum lines a little so everything will connect and replace the truck dual intake tubes with an aftermarket single setup. You will also need to fab a throttle cable bracket or dig up bracket and cable from a Lightning or Explorer, and buy a throttlebody but you were doing that anyway.

Wont a car intake with shorter runners give me less torque at low rpms? Looking at all the work that would have to be put into that... holy crap! Air intake, air box, cold tubes, egr crap, etc.

Isn't there another way?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Wont a car intake with shorter runners give me less torque at low rpms? ?
The difference in runner length between the stock truck intake something like the TFS intake is nothing.. maybe an inch. Besides that.. you're building a 393 stroker for crying out loud.. do you honestly think it's going to need any help producing low end TQ?

Looking at all the work that would have to be put into that... holy crap! Air intake, air box, cold tubes, egr crap, etc. Isn't there another way?
All what work? The intake will bolt on the motor just like any other. There are single outlet air boxes on all the new trucks, all you got to do is find one in a scrapyard and liberate the airbox and intake plumbing. EGR? Depending what heads and intake you use the EGR passages may be internal so it could actually be a tidier and less cluttered setup with no external tube.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:29 PM
93_flareside
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
The difference in runner length between the stock truck intake something like the TFS intake is nothing.. maybe an inch. Besides that.. you're building a 393 stroker for crying out loud.. do you honestly think it's going to need any help producing low end TQ?

All what work? The intake will bolt on the motor just like any other. There are single outlet air boxes on all the new trucks, all you got to do is find one in a scrapyard and liberate the airbox and intake plumbing. EGR? Depending what heads and intake you use the EGR passages may be internal so it could actually be a tidier and less cluttered setup with no external tube.

You've got a point with the clutter, but I am in a state where they check for that stuff every year. They are id10ts when it comes to modified motors. They have a pic of what every year should look like, and they have failed before- dumb coffee can!

I don't know what you mean by enough power... its only a stroker. Can anyone ever really have enough power?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
but I am in a state where they check for that stuff every year. They are id10ts when it comes to modified motors. They have a pic of what every year should look like, and they have failed before- dumb coffee can!
You may be setting yourself up for a big disappointment then, because a proper stroker motor won't look anything like the stock engine even if it has all the same equipment and passes a sniffer test.. which is a whole nother can of worms we haven't even got into yet. There have already been guys here that have gone down the road you're about to travel.. built a stroker and installed the Edelbrock truck intake. The result was a motor that produced only slightly more HP than stock.. because the Edelbrock piece isn't really that much bigger and was designed for a stock motor anyway.. that's the word right from Edelbrock tech support BTW. So I can't tell you what to do but neither of your choices are real good, you could forget about the stroker and simply upgrade the stock motor a little or move somewhere where you don't have to deal with this BS.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:51 PM
93_flareside
Senior User
thanks for the bad news... I got this stroker for dirt, built by a professional! Overbuilt even. I was told that its probally going to leave my tranny in pieces behind the truck flying down the road being chased by every cop in a fifty mile area. He told me that he has the bench dyno test sheet for it, just has to find it. So in actuality, this might be a good thing. Thanks for the heads up.
Do you know anything about rev limiters for this setup?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:41 AM
lew52
Postmaster
You can use a MSD 6AL ignition box with a soft touch rev limiter , they work good , you may have to get into the computer & elimanate the stock limiter....Lew