1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Windshield Chrome Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:12 PM
67 StylesLide
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 wks ago I just used a LMC gasket for SS moulding. It was good quality gasket and doesn't leak. I've been told it should have been crap but it wasn't.
I had pros install it. I've done it years ago but I'm too old in the shoulders now.
No sealant used.
To make the final install go easier use soapy water or spray window cleaner or even WD40 in the pinch weld groove.
It's a tricky ,, two or three man job. Go slow.
put the SS moulding in the gasket first.
Then put it on the windshield.
Tape it on to hold it.
Take the whole thing and lay it in the opening and rope it in starting at the top.
Slap (open hand don't pound)the windshield along the gasket as you go to seat it.
Check You Tube. "search rope in windshield' Watch several technics. Watch for the circular action used at the corners with the rope.
Take all day with a buddy.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:02 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks very much Styleslide, good info to have, and I will pass it on to Edgar at the local body shop, where my truck is getting repainted. I'm pretty sure that he has done the old style windshields before, but it never hurts to have information. He works on lots of old cars & trucks, and his shop is full every day. Which kind of speaks to the rural conditions, wandering animals, and drinking drivers. All of which brings cars to Edgar.

Again, thanks amigo, way good information..

Baja

Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I use Vaseline for the pinch weld groove. My brain says it's like a hydrolic seal and keeps the rubber flexible.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:49 AM
67 StylesLide
Cross-Country
Just one more thing...
The "roper", (from the inside of the cab) needs to keep pulling the gasket firmly down over the pinch weld with his fingers as he goes and again all the way around to get a final and very positive "seat" of the rubber onto the pinch weld.
In my mind, seems it would be beneficial to drive around plenty to allow the whole installation to settle and seal. Once it's normalized,, further messing around with it would be inviting a leak.

Coincidentally it's supposed to rain here today in NW Oregon so I may get the chance to do an actual ROAD TEST of my new windshield / gasket / wipers, and the "no sealant" concept.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Zazoos
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips. They really helped.

I ended up putting the gasket on the glass first, taped it to the glass and then used Vaseline to help get the trim in the gasket. Glass actually went in the truck fairly easy with two helpers, string and soapy water.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:56 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
I am still waiting for the gasket to clear customs, in Tijuana, and then for it to be trucked 1000 miles South to La Ribera... Suppose to be next week sometime... Hope springs eternal...

Baja

Old 08-23-2015, 07:35 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I did my front glass friday night and my back glass saturday morning. My friend who has restored many Fords helped me with the front. It took us about two hours total with putting the trim in the seal being the most tedious part. I took a chance and did not use sealant. We also learned it IS possible to put the trim on with the glass in the truck. My top passenger piece was popping out when we put the glass in. we pulled it off, put a bunch of soap in the groove, and worked it back in with some plastic sticks. Back window took me and my dad about 30 min to install but about an hour for me to put the trim on before window install. And yes, nylon cord and lots of dish soap work well.

Last edited by f100today; 08-23-2015 at 07:35 AM. Reason: more wording
Old 08-23-2015, 08:31 AM
67 StylesLide
Cross-Country
TeachNliv4ever-F100today
Where did you get your gaskets? How were they?
I thought mine from LMC was fine.
Time will tell.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:23 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I get all my rubber and seals from DC. It was very thick, very high quality.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:06 PM
67 StylesLide
Cross-Country
UPDATE:
It's been more than 6 months since my windshield installation.
It has endured one of the wettest Oregon winters on record. Driven daily.
No leaks whatsoever.
No sealant was used.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:26 PM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I spent 2 hours trying to install the chrome with the windshield. I finally gave up and was delighted to pay a glass man 25.00 to do it.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:45 PM
67 StylesLide
Cross-Country
NO DOUBT!
I was prepared to pay $250 for the installation.
Next time I'll be driving to Idaho for your glass guy!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
No gasket available here in Baja, so I ordered one today from LMC...... should I order another from DC?? Next week will be the first attempt with the LMC gasket, if it arrives, that is.. Shipping to Mexico, and actually getting the item, is an adventure to be sure... I am taking copious notes, and saving posts to my "James Bondo" file...
Salude amigos
Baja
Russ I'd not use any rubber product from LMC their crappy rubber cracks & dry's out from the ozone. Even the cab cushions are crap.

These are less then 5 yrs old, I've had to replace all of everything other then my cab carpet. All The window rubber cab & rad cushions all cracked

Orich

Old 02-14-2016, 11:25 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
I am sad, to hear that Rich, as I just finished putting in new rubber & anti rattle kit, in both doors... Hope it lasts at least the 5 years. My windshield rubber has been in now since July, and so far (knock on wood), it is holding up. Next time. DC for sure. I do not mind paying for quality, and would rather spend the money to not to have to do it again.
A wise old Rabbi once said, "You get what you pay for, and less"... not that I am very religious, but there is a lot of wisdom in that..

For those who believe in reincarnation, "There is always next time"... and that goes for the rubber on my truck..

Baja

Old 02-14-2016, 10:31 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I replace the window anti rattle and felt runners with DC. But the ss bead area where it curves up the rear of the window by the door push down lock ***** were all inner & outer not one was had the same curve lengths and since there replaced LMC anti rattle felt one side of the retainer clip pulled loose so. So about a month ago, I order 4 replacement anti rattle felt SS strips thinking the surly there QC would catch this and have corrected it. NOT!

The curves were still miss matched. I had called them and got some female as, I said I think your QC has been sleeping on the job. This was when she said they don't have any QC I said your got to be kidding NOPE she said.

Well, I returned them & returned my $.

Okay so, I though I'd give them another try and ordered a new hood trim lip. My end pieces were good so just the center lower lip.

Well holy crap it was a haft inch to long the would not fit into my end trim pieces. Plus the damn anodizing was dull with not much shine to it. It was also as dull as my old OEM hood lip. And the retainer clips were smaller but with plastic coated & plastic finger that were suppose to hold it on the hood did not and kept popping off.

I was pissed and called and bitched to the same gal as before.

I repeated the sleeping QC manager not doing his job.

Told her it was a 1/2" to long and would not fit with my end pieces.
She said if you had bought the ends it mostly would have worked.

I said if that's the case why do sell it separate then?
She said do you want to talk to an engineer, No I want to return this trim plus my shipping.. Ok she said.

Orich
I order the anti rattle kit from Mac's looks much better over all.
Have not got them in yet will wait for summer..

&

Quick Reply: Windshield Chrome Installation?