Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Water/Methanol injection info

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Water/Methanol injection info

How many of you are running either straight water injection or methanol injection.
How many are interested in running it.
How many have run it and are not anymore.

I know you need specific tuning when running methanol injection, but how about straight water injection. *I'm sure tuning is nessisary for optimal power but is it nessisary.
What boost do you guys start spraying at.
Do you two stage it, meaning one nozzel at low and another at higher boost.
What flow rate nozzels are you running.
Where are your nozzels placed; one At each head or one in the charge pipe before the spider.

My thought was to run straight water, distilled or filtered, and have a two stage setup run off boost pressure. (I haven't figured out how to add an rpm signal yet, so any info on that would help also)
I would run a single nozzel in the charge pipe first starting at maybe 15psi, then at 20-22 switch to a nozzel at each head and turn of the single nozzel ( as high up in the spider as possible and still direct it into each head)

I'm not looking to gain much power, just would like to keep things cool, and have it setup for later when I swap injectors and turbo.

What is everyones thoughts. Thanks

Old 04-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be adding water injection to mine as well. Just for EGT control. Getting this kit:
Coolingmist Water Injection, alcohol injection and Methanol Injection systems

I haven't talked to Tony about tuning yet, but I think it's not required for straight water injection. You start messing with Meth, then yes.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the same kit as Izzy sitting in my room. I am waiting on the conversion kit from the VGT box to the CMGS gauge pod set up. They are backordered like 4 weeks.

I am having trouble finding any info. Joe (CSIPSD) is the only guy extensively running water/meth injection.

Here is the thread I started a few weeks ago.. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...or-towing.html

I didn't get much good info. I will just have to play with mine and tweak it.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
I put water injection in last month. Truck is running better than ever. Maybe coincidence.

Here's my thread

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8686846

You can definitely save money (25%-50%) buying parts instead of a kit. There's really nothing special in the kits.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:34 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
there is one guy running a superduty with no ic and only meth, and loves it. I wish i could remembeer the name. i think it was a darker color truck though if that helps anyone. also i have heard a bunch of obs guys run meth because of the lack of an ic, and most dont even concider adding an ic.

I dont care about the power gain, I want it to help keep my egt in a safe range like izzy. on the 120r setting, and 30 psi, things get hot fast. Granted its an 8000lb missile by the time egt gets to 1300, but the truck is still pulling and I havent been able to find the point where it dont.

WOW, 700 bucks for that setup, and then 40 or 100 bucks for a tank. Way over my price range. I was gonna go with a cheaper 200 dollar setup from becool, and then add another boost switch and solenoid.
One of my dodge friends looked into the pumps of a lot of these kits, and he told me that they are pretty much the same other then a few of the higher rating. wether or not they really are, I dont care. For my application the cheaper kit is all I need.
WATER INJECTION Alcohol Intercooler Turbo Supercharger : eBay Motors (item 330245962178 end time May-11-10 09:33:21 PDT)
I emailed the guy and asked about it, and he said he has sold a lot to the diesel guys. He even reccomended nozzel sizes to me depending on HP and I didnt even tell him I didnt even have a chip yet, lol.

I talked with Joe? CSIPSD about his meth injection, and he said tuning is a must. Ill be using straight water for now, because i dont want to worry about locating more fluid later on. Ill be adding a big tank so I can go a long time before fill up. I just need to figure out how to add a level sender to the tank to be able to have a gauge. haha

Old 04-16-2010, 07:42 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by UNTAMND

I talked with Joe? CSIPSD about his meth injection, and he said tuning is a must. Ill be using straight water for now, because i dont want to worry about locating more fluid later on. Ill be adding a big tank so I can go a long time before fill up. I just need to figure out how to add a level sender to the tank to be able to have a gauge. haha
Joe also ran Meth up to 70%. You need tuning if you are running methanol. Straight water or even less than 30% meth and you will be fine.

I would personally stay far away from Methanol.. As you can see with Joe's truck. It's very hard on the block.

Here is the tank I am going to use.

NorthStar Spot Sprayer Tank — 16 Gallon Capacity | Sprayer Tanks | Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 04-16-2010, 07:46 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
WOW, sweet find on the tank. I hope shipping isnt a killer cause ill pick one of those up also. That will probly fit outside the framerail between the bed. I was going to put my air tanks there but that will be a better fit. Then just gotta figure out how to fill it.....sawzall a hole in the side, lol.
Gotta think of a better way I guess.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Meth is not what took out my Forged rod block, but I can not talk about that here without getting banned...

I tested up to 70% meth on PMR rods years ago with Tadd when he was at ATS. Cylinder pressures do not get high with the meth until you get over 35% or so, then tuning comes into play.

Dont go cheap on a kit, a good quality pump and good nozzles will perform better and run safer then a cheap flebay kit.

Cooling mist has the best pumps on the market bar none, highest PSI electric pumps you can get. They have the best nozzles that I have tested and the best controlers.

Water injection is completly safe, one thing you MUST have is a shunt valve, a selonoid that is closed when ever the pump is not on. When the pump is pumping, it opens, the second the pump stops it closes. You will never have issues if you install it correctly.

I have my first stage coming on at 8# and second coming on at 18#. With the water on I can not get above 1200* pulling loads in the 14k range.

One of the best mods I ever did...

Old 04-17-2010, 01:51 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
WOW, sweet find on the tank. I hope shipping isnt a killer cause ill pick one of those up also. That will probly fit outside the framerail between the bed. I was going to put my air tanks there but that will be a better fit. Then just gotta figure out how to fill it.....sawzall a hole in the side, lol.
Gotta think of a better way I guess.
Glad to help out. Are you gonna build a box around it? I am not sure I would keep comfortable about that plastic tank hanging out under my truck. I have a L fuel tank in my bed so I was gonna fab up a steel box to put it in and then get it and my tank rhino lined.

Last edited by Carlene; 04-17-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Quit the personal attacks
Old 04-17-2010, 12:05 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there is one guy running a superduty with no ic and only meth, and loves it. I wish i could remembeer the name. i think it was a darker color truck though if that helps anyone. also i have heard a bunch of obs guys run meth because of the lack of an ic, and most dont even concider adding an ic.
i think it was Cody? Silver truck ? on of the ETAPS guys?

ps as far as obtaining fluid i believe you can use window washer fluid it is 32% meth 68% water

Old 04-17-2010, 12:13 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rat49f6

ps as far as obtaining fluid i believe you can use window washer fluid it is 32% meth 68% water
I dont like guessing about washer fluid... If your going to use meth, mix it yourself and get pure methonal from a race shop or fuel supplier. Its sold in 5 gallon cans and is easy to handle.

Sure you can get a MSDS and hope that the unit mixing that day was claibrated correctly, but I would rather just have a gallon jug and mix my own...

Old 04-19-2010, 12:37 AM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
I have the snow perf kit. Bought it from Clay. I still need to find a way to tap into my boost line, but Clay(Riffraff) and Jody(DP-tuner)said running only water there is no tunning needed.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:47 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rat49f6

It was Cory. His handle is Ziggy.

He is not running an Intercooler, but he also is running and H2e. Which is a pretty efficient turbo.

He is very happy with his set up and is running a snow kit.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:15 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
I'll be adding water injection to mine as well. Just for EGT control.
It's funny, just today I too was thinking about water injection, and for the exact same reason, purely for EGT control.

Stewart

Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Thats why I run it...

Quick Reply: Water/Methanol injection info