Sponsored by: Moser

Opinions on Front Locker?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:40 AM
highoctane74
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions on Front Locker?

I am going to throw a truck together for our mud bogs in June. I need a Front Locker for my D60. I have 2 options?

Run 4:11's with a 4 sp

Run 3:54 with Auto

I have good running gear in both trucks, not sure what is a better set up for mud. I was thinking maybe the auto in low with the 3:54 might be better..........but I have no clue.

I am still undecided on running the 400 or 460, And I have 35 inch tires.

Any opinions or experiences you's have had, I am listening....Thanks

Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the 4.11 is a better gear for mudding 35's and the auto is a better choice for mudding, period. Just make sure you put a trans cooler on it.

Why can you only run the 4.11's with the manual?

also the 400 is a boat anchor, you will want the 460.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 AM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr hasteranger, obvoiusy you are not familiar with the 400......

Old 03-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Hillbilly... I'm sure he meant in stock form and in original configuration from the factory, because I'm sure he's aware that with a few tweaks that the 400 can be a torque monster.....oddly, pretty handy for mudding. Just depends on where he wants to put his focus. If he wants to focus on the motor, then either plant would be a good choice...but if he's trying to get the truck together by later this spring, that would suggest that his attention will be split between every system on the truck (exhaust, suspension, braking, engine, blah blah blah).....that being the case, and time being a constraint, it would suggest that he's torn between the two plants in relatively stock form. If he has to choose between the 460 and the 400 in stock form, then the 460 is the way to go....but, if he's got the time for at least a straight up timing set, different cam, headers, better carb....then the 400 would be a good choice too (and probably a little lighter...which could help).

If he had more time, and a good budget, then it's just a matter of taste. Either engine can be made to be quite powerful. I know that the 460 can be made into a fire breather pretty easily, but the 400 is full of potential too. I went with the 400 on Buford because that's the biggest plant you could get in a 79 4x4....and I wanted to stick somewhat to the proper theme. That, and I wanted to go the path less traveled, and build a rediculous 400 based engine...which came out quite nicely.

Anyway, engines aside, from the parameters given, and the time constraints, I'd say he's going to be busy enough just trying to get the whole package together, much less starting an entire engine project from scratch. So, if they have to stay stock...I'd go 460. If the plants can be massaged a little....it's a tossup, either would do well. If he has time and money for whatever he wants....it's then a complete matter of taste as either can be made to do the job.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
He has a 460. The 400 is like the 460's retarded little brother.

And he didn't say his mud bog was for the special olympics.

My vote goes 460.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Oh, and whats the question bout the locker? I dont really understand it from the original post.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 AM
highoctane74
More Turbo
I have tons of trucks sitting around for parts.My only problem I just realized is the D60 I have available to use for this has the 3:54 gears. I have 4 or 5 rears with 4:11's.
I guess I will have to change gears in it.

I wasn't to clear on the locker question. Is it worth the money to Invest in an ARB Air Locker? It was my first choice, not sure what else is out there for the front.

I have the perchs on the frame for the 400. I wouldn't mind using the 460 if I could though as it was just rebuilt. Only 460 perchs I have were out of a 76 2wd. would they work?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 AM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
Originally Posted by hasteranger
He has a 460. The 400 is like the 460's retarded little brother.

And he didn't say his mud bog was for the special olympics.

My vote goes 460.
Yeah....the mighty 460 and it's 208 horsepower

I'm not saying the 400 is better. I'm just saying they are closer in performance than you think. Both of these engines are severely limited by the factory. The later 460 is NOTHING like the 429/460 of the late 60's and early 70's. If he had one of those early engines, then it would be a no-brainer which one to choose. But I'm betting his motor is from a truck or late 70's car.

A 460 has a lot of potential. However, dollar for dollar, they are pretty close. The only difference is the 460 reaches a point very quickly where the HEADS are the limiting factor. Once you get to that point, then the 400 gives you more horsepower per dollar.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, gosh, I didn't know that my engine was a special olympian, but I'm ok with that. My "retarded" engine gets 504 horse, and 544 ft/lbs of torque on pump gas....so I'm ok with it being "special".

Hmmm, I guess someone will also have to let Mr. Kaase know that he's been working with retarded engines the last couple years he's been winning the engine masters buildoff too.

But I digress... I gave an honest opinion of both plants without needing to be biased, or insulting to anyone. He can take it for what it's worth. I do find it interesting that I said under the conditions that the 460 would be a good choice, yet you still felt the need to criticize the 400, and pretty much anyone who runs one.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:10 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
well, he asked for an opinion and I had one to give. Sorry if you disagree. And I didn't know he had one of your 500 hp 400's over a stock 460. Oh wait, thats right, he doesn't.

So why bring it up? Just to stir the pot a little bit. Same as I was doing by joking around. Hello kettle, I am pot and you are black!

Anyway, back to the locker question, depends on what kinda "event" you are doing. The air locker is really expensive and will require you to install on board air, so you'll have the added expense and hassle of adding a compressor and lines. Eaton has that new "e locker" that is like an air locker but is electric. Or you could just run a regular locker and manual hubs and lock in the hubs. If its a pure MUD event, I'd run a regular locker and not worry about it, but if you will be doing trails and needing to steer at all, you will want something you can switch on and off and the air or electric lockers will probably be what you want.

Its very hard to steer with a locked in front axle.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 PM
82ford302
Senior User
Hello kettle, I am pot and you are black!
wtf you talkin about?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Countrywfo
Senior User
what size tires are you goin to run? that will also affect your gearing choice. If it stickly a mud truck might i suggest lincoln locking both axles? it will save you alot of money and if you know how to weld it will hold up quite nicely for what you plan to do.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
He said he is running 35's in his post. If you "lincoln lock" the front axle it won't turn... I wouldn't recommend it.

If my only option was welding the front diff or having an open diff, I'd go with open every time. Even mud trucks gotta turn.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:50 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
He said he is running 35's in his post. If you "lincoln lock" the front axle it won't turn... I wouldn't recommend it.

If my only option was welding the front diff or having an open diff, I'd go with open every time. Even mud trucks gotta turn.

WHile I am not a fan of welded diffs, I have to say that a purpose built vehicle, that does not see (much) road use, will not be as limited as one would think with a welded front diff.
Turning in dirt or any other limited traction type terrain is not all that difficult.. Tire slippage, especially with little 35's will make turning fairly easy. This just slips the front tires a bit.
Now stabbing the throttle in a full lock turn will try to sraighten the wheels out, but turning while off the gas is not as hard as it is percieved.
It will turn, and wont be all that difficult.
Mud guys run spools and welded diffs all of the time.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 AM
highoctane74
More Turbo
I am def not going to weld them. I want it streetable after. looks like this is going to be more expensive than I first thought. I was just informed there is a D60 sitting in a truck I can have, with any luck it may have 4:11's and I may get away with not changing gears!

Quick Reply: Opinions on Front Locker?