Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2010, 07:57 PM
old enough to know better

gb'sfx4 has a great reputation on FTE.gb'sfx4 has a great reputation on FTE.gb'sfx4 has a great reputation on FTE.gb'sfx4 has a great reputation on FTE.gb'sfx4 has a great reputation on FTE.
Question water pump failure???

in an earlier post I talked about seein ect temps @ 235 is there a way to check the water pump to see if it is operating ?
(early) 03 F-250 6.0 CCLB FX4, arp's, not tuned, 4"mbrp, cat/muff delete, edge insight w/pyro, bulletproof egr, high idle, zoodad,onboard air, rear bags, B&W gooseneck hitch, pro comp 2.5" level kit,1500w inverter, 10"dvd, back up camera, 150,000 miles

Old 03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Senior User

solaratomic is starting off with a positive reputation.
The primary symptom of water pump failure is leaking out the weep hole (bearing/seal failure). Only in EXTEREMELY high mileage vehicles have I heard of the impeller vanes "grinding" off. It sounds like you're having a problem with heat dissapation. Change the thermostat then you may wanna have the radiator rotted out or replaced. After eliminating the basics then you may wanna start looking more in depth at you motor. Good Luck.
Sold: 1996 F-150 5.0L 2WD Eddie Bauer / 2001 F-150 4x4 5.4L CC Lariat / 2005 Mustang GT
Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Posting Guru

steelhead2 has a good reputation on FTE.steelhead2 has a good reputation on FTE.
is your engine fan operating correctly?. should be on all the time at those temps.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 PM

gb'sfx4 has a great reputation on FTE.gb'sfx4 has a great reputation on FTE.gb'sfx4 has a great reputation on FTE.gb'sfx4 has a great reputation on FTE.gb'sfx4 has a great reputation on FTE.
I don't hear the fan kicking on, no leaks, no coolant loss, no puking,no heat
new radiator,heater core,oil cooler,egr cooler
Old 03-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaratomic View Post
The primary symptom of water pump failure is leaking out the weep hole (bearing/seal failure). Only in EXTEREMELY high mileage vehicles have I heard of the impeller vanes "grinding" off. It sounds like you're having a problem with heat dissapation. Change the thermostat then you may wanna have the radiator rotted out or replaced. After eliminating the basics then you may wanna start looking more in depth at you motor. Good Luck.
There are quite a few cases of the early 6.0L water pumps breaking off their plastic fins or the entire impellor coming off.

I think a coolant system pressure is the best test. I am just now considering the best place to get the coolant pressure reading so I can get some data. The easiest place is on my coolant filter, but that is at the end of the line. The best place is probably at the block plug - I just do not want to drain my system completely (at least not so soon after flushing it).
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 AM

thanks Mark, that's the deal with me ,I don't have a coolant filter yet (that was going to be next) + I just did all this work & a flush also, but if the pump is bad the flush probably didn't do much anyway.
i guess it's back to the dealer sometime this week
Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb'sfx4 View Post
thanks Mark, that's the deal with me ,I don't have a coolant filter yet (that was going to be next) + I just did all this work & a flush also, but if the pump is bad the flush probably didn't do much anyway.
i guess it's back to the dealer sometime this week
If you replace the water pump go to the 05 pump. It is improved, larger impellers, over the early ones. You will have to change the timing cover behind it also.
2007 Thor Jazz 5er, 11k dry weight, 31'
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:14 PM

yeah, I read about the improved 05 pump in some older threads it just makes me to have to tear the truck down that far again after it was done just days ago
(early) 03 F-250 6.0 CCLB FX4, arp's, not tuned, 4"mbrp, cat/muff delete, edge insight w/pyro, bulletproof egr, high idle, zoodad,onboard air, rear bags, B&W gooseneck hitch, pro comp 2.5" level kit,1500w inverter, 10"dvd, back up camera, 150,000 miles

Old 03-08-2010, 05:08 PM

dropped it off at the dealer, now just waiting to hear from them
Old 03-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
There are quite a few cases of the early 6.0L water pumps breaking off their plastic fins or the entire impellor coming off.

I think a coolant system pressure is the best test. I am just now considering the best place to get the coolant pressure reading so I can get some data. The easiest place is on my coolant filter, but that is at the end of the line. The best place is probably at the block plug - I just do not want to drain my system completely (at least not so soon after flushing it).
get it at the factory sugested testing location. T into the line from the manifold to the degas jug.
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
get it at the factory sugested testing location. T into the line from the manifold to the degas jug.
Wouldn't this be more of a test of the degas bottle pressure and not really the water pump discharge pressure?
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
im going a little slow tonight for some reason and not following. System pressure is system pressure. now if you want to test flow thats something different.
the whole idea about a cooling system is to equalize pressure threw the system to maintain even temp wich in theory will reduce localized boiling.
following me.... I am following you?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
im going a little slow tonight for some reason and not following. System pressure is system pressure. now if you want to test flow thats something different.
the whole idea about a cooling system is to equalize pressure threw the system to maintain even temp wich in theory will reduce localized boiling.
following me.... I am following you?
I agree to an extent. Unless the passageways for the coolant are quite large, there is always a back pressure from friction losses (that is directly related to flow). The highest pressure from the pump will be at the discharge point. If you take a pressure reading at a point that is in the downstream piping, you may not know if you have pressure loss issues (plugging) or pump discharge pressure issues (head).

I guess that flow would be a better test, but not so easily monitored.

Edit - after a long day at work, I probably should wait til tomorrow to think this hard !!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Post Fiend

OK now Im with you. I would say tap the bottom tank and install but try this out to test the theory. get the engine up to operating temp 185 -212 and use a pyrometer to pick the best spot to tap into.
besides a pyrometer is a great tools to have.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
OK now Im with you. I would say tap the bottom tank and install but try this out to test the theory. get the engine up to operating temp 185 -212 and use a pyrometer to pick the best spot to tap into.
besides a pyrometer is a great tools to have.
I just purchased an infrared pyrometer. It is cool! Thanks for the tip again.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
60, 60l, check, diesel, f250, failure, faliure, ford, impeller, powerstroke, pump, test, truck, water, waterpump