General Automotive Discussion

Transmission Fluid Change - 2000 Buick Century 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid Change - 2000 Buick Century 3.1

I was trying to change the fluid in my 2000 Buick Century yesterday and what should have been an easy job was anything but.

The filter (OE) that was in there didn't want to come out but it finally did. Trying to install the new one, was a tight fit. I pushed it in but it didn't go in as far as the other one was. I pushed a bit more and still nothing. I tried to pull it out and snapped the neck off the pickup tube on the new filter. Not a huge deal, I was eventually able to get the broken neck out by deforming and removing the pickup tube insert that is inserted into the tranny housing.

So, the question is: how far up does the filter go? I noticed what looks like a switch of sorts just beside the fluid pickup hole - does the filter need to contact these? I didn't notice if it was in contact with the old filter before I removed it. I can't see what else these springy contacts would do other than check for the presence of a filter. Unless it is a fluid level indicator but I don't see how that would work.

I need a new, new filter that I will get today. Meanwhile, does anyone know what I am talking about? Thanks in advance.

This crap never happens to me when I work on my Fords....

Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
Not sure what your referring to but, I just give the filter a good whack with my hand and thats about all it takes. If the pan goes back on without any problem then you should be ok. Maybe the filter is different from the original. If there was a seal that came with the filter you don't need to replace it unless the old one was damaged.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Thanks Phinxter.

The new filter went in much better than the first one I tried. I think the difference was the insert was a slightly larger inside diameter. Once I tapped that into the hole in the tranny the new filter went right in. Buttoned her up, added fluid and off I go.

Only problem now is that from a stop, if I accelerate hard, there is a very noticeable shudder that lasts about one second. Feels like driving over the highway rumble strips. It only does it from a stop when the car hits about 5-10 mph (not a shift point either). I am wondering if the fluid I used (Dex/Merc) is incompatible with the OE fluid that was still in the torque converter.

Why can't anything be easy?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
as long as the fluid was Dex ATF (Dex III is called Dexron ATF or something like that now) or the newest Dexron 6 it will work ok. Are you sure it's the trans and not a misfire under load? The TC clutch isn't being used in first gear, Hmmm.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

I used a fluid called Dex/Merc. The label says it is meets up to Dextron IV and Mercon something. I was going to buy the Dex VI but it was eight bucks a quart.

But, good news is I ran the **** out of it today under many different conditions and could not recreate the shudder. So, maybe all is well. I plugged the scanner in and there were no codes.

Thanks again.