Manual DPF Regen & Options Info - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual DPF Regen & Options Info

Old 11-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Senior User

pbruckne has a good reputation on FTE.pbruckne has a good reputation on FTE.
Manual DPF Regen & Options Info

Just added this response to another post but figured it deserved it own thread so it doesn't get lost.

The 2011 Job#2 Chassis Cabs will offer a feature called OCR, or Operator Commanded Regen. It's an "optional" feature that you would need to order. The Job#2 Trucks are expected to be given the green light sometime soon to go on sale. Note that we're currently working out how to provide this as a customer pay add-on feature to the 2011 Job#1 Chassis Cabs. Timing at this point is TBD, and again it only available on the Chassis Cabs. I added the text from the latest Diesel Supplement below to provide some of the details.

NOTE: There's an alternative aftermarket tool available for Fleet Customers. Although it's directed at larger fleets that would rather not order the OCR option on every truck.

http://www.eepod.com/

Ford Fleet DPF Regeneration Tool - $575.00 <FORM method=post action=https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr target=paypal><INPUT value=_s-xclick type=hidden name=cmd> <INPUT value=NH9DJG7XNQZ7J type=hidden name=hosted_button_id> <INPUT border=0 alt="PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!" src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_cart_SM.gif" type=image name=submit> </FORM>The DPF Regeneration Tool is a custom version of the standard MyCANIC interface that is dedicated to running the Ford diesel particulate filter regeneration sequence for fleet customers.

6.7L Diesel Supplement Info:

Operator commanded regeneration (OCR) (if equipped)
If your vehicle is operated with significant stationary operation, passive
and active regeneration may not sufficiently clean the DPF system. OCR
allows you to manually start regeneration of the diesel particulate filter
(DPF) at idle (while stationary) to clean the DPF. If you are not sure
whether your vehicle is equipped with this feature, contact your
authorized dealer.

When to perform OCR

Use the OCR feature when the
DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER
message appears in the message center and:

the operator is not able to drive in manner that allows effective
automatic cleaning (active regeneration),

or the operator instead wishes to manually start regeneration
(cleaning) of the DPF while the vehicle is idle (stationary).

OCR precautions and safe exhaust position
WARNING:

Failure to comply with the following instructions for
operator commanded regeneration (OCR) may result in fire,
serious injury, death and/or property damage.
Before you start OCR, observe/do the following:

Place the vehicle in P (Park) with the parking brake set on stable,
level ground.

The vehicle must not be parked in a structure.

The vehicle must be away from any obstructions within 10 - 15 feet of
vehicle,

and must be away from materials that can easily combust or melt such
as: paper, leaves, petroleum products, fuels, plastics and other dry
organic material, such as grass.

Make sure there is a minimum of 1/8 tank of fuel.

Make sure all fluids are at proper levels.
Make sure that the louvers (holes) located at the tip of the exhaust are
also clear of any obstructions as they are used to introduce fresh air into
the tailpipe to cool the exhaust gas as it leaves. See

Exhaust under the
Cleaning

chapter for more information.
How to start operator commanded regeneration (OCR)
WARNING:

Stay clear of exhaust tip during regeneration. You or
others can be burned.
Note:

OCR will not be allowed to operate if the service engine soon
light is illuminated
Note:

During the use of OCR, you may observe a light amount of white
smoke. This is normal.
1. Start with the vehicle engine fully warmed.
2. Press the Info button on the steering wheel until the message center
reads

EXHAUST FILTER XXX% FULL.
3. If the DPF needs cleaning and the vehicle is warmed up, a message
requesting permission to initiate filter cleaning is displayed

EXH XXX%
FULL CLEAN Y/N

. Answering yes to this prompt and then following
prompts will initiate OCR. Be sure to understand each prompt. If you are
not sure what is being asked by each prompt, contact your authorized
dealer

-Paul
Old 11-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Posting Guru

djjoshuad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.djjoshuad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
good stuff!

I don't have a chassis cab truck, but I did find this part interesting:

Quote:
Make sure that the louvers (holes) located at the tip of the exhaust are
also clear of any obstructions as they are used to introduce fresh air into
the tailpipe to cool the exhaust gas as it leaves
I've always wondered what those were for, I figured it was just styling. Kinda makes me curious about how well it actually works (seems to simple to be that effective?) and how much aftermarket non-louvered exhaust systems suffer...
Old 11-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Postmaster

720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjoshuad View Post
good stuff!

I don't have a chassis cab truck, but I did find this part interesting:

I've always wondered what those were for, I figured it was just styling. Kinda makes me curious about how well it actually works (seems to simple to be that effective?) and how much aftermarket non-louvered exhaust systems suffer...
Most aftermarket exhaust systems have their own venturi system design incorporated into the tailpipe. Take a look at a Banks ad and see how they thump their chests about how much temperature reduction their system creates.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Freshman User

kblazk is starting off with a positive reputation.
thinking of buying a chassis cab for a bucket truck and was wondering if I order it with the "OCR" option will it still do the automatic regens while your driving on the highway too? Or is it completely manual and never will do one without asking for permission?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Postmaster

Hdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputation
It will do a normal regen while driving. That settup is for when the drive to clean comes on. And it must be in park with e brake on before you command it to clean the dpf.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Senior User

03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.
Yea, the truck will do like it normally does (passive and active regeneration as necessary), it's just that you now have the option to command an active regeneration at a time when it's convenient for you.

Otherwise, when the truck wants to do an active regeneration you typically have to give it time to do so (by continuing to drive the truck). End-users at the fleet level often fail to do this. They just start it, use it all day, and park it. Typically ignoring whatever the truck says to do, because often they don't consider it their job to make sure the truck they are using is properly serviced (that's the fleet managers job ).
Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Freshman User

so can you force a regen before it lets you know on the screen that it needs one?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Senior User

03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblazk View Post
so can you force a regen before it lets you know on the screen that it needs one?
I'm not sure if the Operator Commanded Regen option will let you do it anytime without any restictions.

Typically, with the computer tool, it will tell you that the DPF is a certain percentage full and will ask if you want to do a regen. It might not let you if the DPF isn't full past a certain point though, I'm not sure.

Either way, being able to do an active regen stationary is simply a nice option to have. Sometimes it's just not convenient to continue driving.

Really, they only reason they make you continue driving is because the exhaust pipe will get hot and they want to make sure you or someone else doesn't accidentally touch it and get burned (or you're not parked on top of something that will burn). It was a legal decision on Ford's part. I can't really blame them, because the average person is pretty bad at following simple safety directions and would likely set their garage on fire . Nice to see they lightened up a bit, though.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Freshman User

should i get this OCR option on a chassis cab thats going to be a bucket truck? I just dont want to pull into a jobsite and then have the truck tell me it needs to regen right before i am going to setup for a 2 hour job using the bucket.

Also the service body compartments are going to be fiberglass and thats pretty clost to the exhaust tip and i was also wondering if that would be too hot for stationary regen's for that fiber body.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Senior User

With the lift, I would probably go for the OCR option.

The reason I say this, is because I'm guessing the lift is PTO operated, right? So the truck will spend a lot of time idling?

If that's the case, I would go for the OCR. That way you can command it to regenerate when you want, like while you're sitting in your truck eating lunch or something.

With that said, if you do a lot of highway driving, then you probably won't need the OCR.

As far as the regen hurting the service body, I really doubt it. As long as the body isn't touching the exhaust (or the exhaust isn't aimed directly at part of the body), it shouldn't hurt it.

Anyway, here is a video from Isuzu explaining regen for their trucks (including manual regen). Obviously, Fords are a little different in their operation, but the information is still basically accurate. It should help explain things a little better for you:

Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT View Post
With the lift, I would probably go for the OCR option.

The reason I say this, is because I'm guessing the lift is PTO operated, right? So the truck will spend a lot of time idling?

If that's the case, I would go for the OCR. That way you can command it to regenerate when you want, like while you're sitting in your truck eating lunch or something.

With that said, if you do a lot of highway driving, then you probably won't need the OCR.

Yeah there is alot of idling when the PTO is engaged, most of the time it is elevated idle. I do a moderate level of highway driving. Most of the time i am driving 10-15 miles to each jobsite and might work about 1-2 hours on each job. Then drive to the next job at about 10-15 miles away. Rarely would I be doing any 30 minute or longer highway driving.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Senior User

Yea, with that much stationary time, I would spring for the OCR.

The DPF prefers relatively long highway trips while pulling a load (or having a heavy body on the back). If you do that a lot, you might not ever need to actively regenerate.

However, If you mostly do short trips with a lot of idling (which is what it seems like you do), you're probably going to see more frequent regeneration.