1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

guages

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Ringer97
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guages

This might be a stupid question but,does a guy really need a tranny temp guage?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
if it's a auto and you tow are run your your truck then yes

Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
when do you need gauges? like how many mods do i need to do to need gauges? and how had are the usual boost, pyro and tranny guages to install?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ringer97
There are not stupid questions here.

Originally Posted by fordpride
if it's a auto and you tow are run your your truck then yes
Agree.

Originally Posted by YoungFordAddict66
when do you need gauges? like how many mods do i need to do to need gauges? and how had are the usual boost, pyro and tranny guages to install?
Ideally before your first mod. Is the only way to monitor safetly your engine and dont destroy it. They are not hard to install.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ringer97
there are no stupid questions, only idiots who won't answer them. A tranny temp is needed if you have an auto tranny. when under load a tranny can reach temps at which it can destroy the clutches and other parts in it. A manual trans doesn't need this b/c they don't have as much friction in them and the parts aren't as sensitive to heat as autos are and don't get as hot.

you can do some slight mods without doing guages. if you have an auto and didn't want to get guages yet then i'd do the 6637 intake, exhaust, FPR shim, tranny cooler, and shift kit without doing guages, but i wouldn't do any fuel enhancing mods like chips, injectors, or the like with out having a trans temp, pyro, and boost guage. once you do a chip then your EGT's can start getting hot when towing and you can risk melting a piston if the EGT's get to 1200* for more than like 5-8 seconds. i certainly would let it stay over that for more than that, but i'm unsure how long it would actually take to melt a piston at 1200* and always good to remember at higher temps it takes less time to melt a piston. also with added power the trans sees more stress thus more heat so mods are needed to help it out and a guage is needed to make sure your not overheating it.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
yea i already have the riffraff 6637 kit and plan on doing the 4" tymar strait pipe and using this tranny cooler http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=205 . is the FPR shim where you modify the little piece of metal on the gas pedal? and once i get my tax return im hoping to put in some beans stage I's and then a PHP chip and Dom 66 turbo. so i might need some gauges eventaully i guess. i might give clay a shout one of these days for some isspro ev2's.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Exclamation

yea i already have the riffraff 6637 kit and plan on doing the 4" tymar strait pipe and using this tranny cooler http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=205 . is the FPR shim where you modify the little piece of metal on the gas pedal? and once i get my tax return im hoping to put in some beans stage I's and then a PHP chip and Dom 66 turbo. so i might need some gauges eventaully i guess. i might give clay a shout one of these days for some isspro ev2's.
No, FPR shim is different to the pedal mod. And you started well with the intake and doing the exhaust, but for the other mods you are planning to do, I would recomend you GAUGES FIRST.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
pbgsho2
Freshman User
Gauges

If you decide to install gauges I would suggest the following: Since most gauges work on a change in resistance, I would measure ohms when the sensors are first installed at a cold temperature. Reason for doing this is to have a baseline for an easy check of the sensor performance.
I took a 10,430 mile trip in the Spring carrying a very heavy pickup camper (13,000 lbs total weight.) without any noticeable over heating of my tranny fluid. In November I took a trip with only a light shell on my bed and any speed over 62 mph my gauge would show a temp approaching 230 degrees until I slowed down. I thought I had a slipping torque converter and had planned for an expensive overhaul. As part of my diagnosis, I contacted the supplier of my gauge and sensor who told me that at 60 degrees my sensor should show 400 ohms of resistance. When measured at 70 degrees the sensor had a resistance of 1040 ohms. Happily the sensor had failed and was the cause of my concern.

pbgsho2