Oil & Lubrication  

New Pennzoil Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Pennzoil Ultra

What do you guys think about the new Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic.
Heres a link to it.
Pennzoil - Not just oil, Pennzoil

Right now im using their Platinum in my truck, but I think im going to start using Mobil 1.
~Gage~

Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Looks like good stuff, there are a couple VOAs of the 5W-20 over on BITOG already. Holy Boron, Batman!

Platinum is already a very good oil, Ultra should be even better.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 PM
mprice
Elder User
imho it looks like a waste of money. PZ is pushing it for its superior cleaning but if you're changing your oil like you should you'll have a clean engine already. It's $28/jug at WM vs. $23/jug for the pennzoil platinum. I'm running the platinum in my Taurus so I can go 10K between changes and don't see any reason to switch to this. I have a clean engine already and so does everyone else that takes good care of their vehicles.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
OK. I was going to stay out of this, but I just cannot.

Let me get this straight:

1. Generic dino is not good enough:
2. Brand name dino is not good enough;
3. Generic syn is not good enough;
4. Brand name syn is not good enough.

So the only oil out there that will adequately protect your engine is a super premium, brand name syn? Your engine really, really needs fully 4 upgrades in motor oil?

This is what you are trying to sell me?

You have to be kidding!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jschira
OK. I was going to stay out of this, but I just cannot.

Let me get this straight:

1. Generic dino is not good enough:
2. Brand name dino is not good enough;
3. Generic syn is not good enough;
4. Brand name syn is not good enough.

So the only oil out there that will adequately protect your engine is a super premium, brand name syn? Your engine really, really needs fully 4 upgrades in motor oil?

This is what you are trying to sell me?

You have to be kidding!
3-2-1, and we have lift off...

But, thanks for the reminder - I need to swing by WM and get my MC 5W-20 and MC FL-820-S...

Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"The only oil recommended by Ferrari North America". This tells me that the ownership of Pennzoil Products Company by Shell is finally resulting in sharing of products. The word "Ultra" was a tipoff.

Shell Helix Ultra is factory fill at Ferrari.

Shell's synthetic base oil will disappoint those that still believe PAO is the only "true" synthetic. XHVI base oil is Group III+, made from slack waxes, a different process than typical Group III. Shell's GTL plant just starting up in Qatar will provide more Group III+ XHVI base oil that Shell does not intend to sell, but use themselves. That hinted to me that it might end up in Pennzoil.

If you can use SAE 5W-40 in your engine, Rotella T synthetic gives you this same technology without the "Hyper" price.

Jim

Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I wonder if this isn't just another pre GF-5 release, like the Castrol Edge, all trying to recoup some GF-5 development costs & capitalize on the go ahead to market the new GF-5 recipes prior to it's launch this fall????

This thought based on a Lube Reprt link in this post in a recent thread about Castrol Edge.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - 5W-30 "U.S.". Is this new?

Bet we'll also see some more marketing fleet of foot dances & glib of tongue wagging releases from other lube manufacturers soon.

Not saying these aren't good products, but not likely worth the asking price.

They just want to get their hands into the wallets of those wanting to pay for & say they are using the latest & greatest lube known to man!!!! lol

Old 05-08-2010, 08:15 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
My local Wally world has PP and Pennzoil Ultra 5qt jugs on sale. The Pennzoil Ultra is $28 for the jug and has a coupon on it for a free bottle of Gumout fuel system cleaner. Is a decent deal if someone wants to try the Ultra, thats if its on sale at your local wally world.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
mprice
Elder User
The marketing/legal aspects at play make my head hurt. The thing all the major motor oil companies - with the partial exception of Mobil - can't bring themselves to claim is suitability for extended drain. I'd bet it's just killing the technical guys at these companies that they have products that could/should be sold for this purpose but the marketers and lawyers know that just as soon as they do they'll get sued by morons that either run it for 50k in a sludger Toyota or burn/leak it all away in a Saturn. The only safe angle they've come up with so far is cleaner but as has already been said that could be gotten from a lowly yellow bottle just the same. Pennzoil had the 'magic molecules" thing with PP for a while but I guess that wasn't making the focus groups tingle enough.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:49 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the introduction of GM's Dexos standard this fall, PP is going to look even more attractive for extended drain intervals. GM is going global with its oil specs, like the European auto makers. So, your 2011 Silverado will have a Shell full syn as factory fill, and its oil life monitor calibrated for an extended drain interval full-synthetic, and that will be required for service during the warranty. PP and its QS clone, are some of the first oils licensed in North America for Dexos.

Valvoline, who still believes in selling volume by continuing to back the antiquated 3000 mile OCI, refuses to license a Dexos product, ruling out Valvoline being used to service GM cars and trucks in the future. Oddly, Valvoline used to have a BMW Long Life approved Synpower formula that was bottled for BMW dealers as an alternative to the usual Castrol product.

Jim