Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stage 1 injectors, dp tuner, gauges after action report

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stage 1 injectors, dp tuner, gauges after action report

I finally got to go road test my truck after getting it back from the shop.

Truck runs really good. I think I have a lot more fuel than I have air now. It does not take much to get the stock turbo chirping. Plus the egt's go high really fast, but the truck is going pretty fast also.

Love the dp tunes, towing tune is awesome, keeps the engine right where it needs to be. 80e from Jody is like level 5 plus level 3 with the edge stuff I had, holy cow, economy? Dang!

120 race tune, good god......like i said, i need much more air to make that run like it should, egts max out fast and there is still lots of power to go. Doesnt take much to get to 1300 on the gauge.

Kinda weird getting used to non digital gauges, I do miss those. Espically my digital egt in the mornings, told me how cold it was out there, haha.

So now what do to with my turbo? Any suggestions? Is it even worth swaping housings on a stock turbo at this point? Or should I head the way of the ball bearing turbo? I can get 25 psi boost with the stocker right now, but its hating life, you can tell that.

Thanks guys for all your help through the last 6 months trying to figure things out. You guys are great. Thanks Rocky at Rockin S and thanks Jody at DP tuner, and thanks Clay at Riffraff.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Give it a little time on your current set up and get to know it a little better. You can always do a 1.0 A/R housing for fairly cheap, or you can go larger and do a 38R. It is up to what you want it to be in the end.

I am really glad everything is working well for you man.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:09 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad your enjoying your new truck, my vote, 38R and you'll see the difference. Even on my stock sticks, I'm happy, still haven't seen the full potential from this turbo yet, someday. Tymar, 6637 or the S-B you'll get plenty of air, 6637 being less expensive of course..

Old 02-19-2010, 04:13 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whitesdford
I finally got to go road test my truck after getting it back from the shop.

Truck runs really good. I think I have a lot more fuel than I have air now. It does not take much to get the stock turbo chirping. Plus the egt's go high really fast, but the truck is going pretty fast also.

Love the dp tunes, towing tune is awesome, keeps the engine right where it needs to be. 80e from Jody is like level 5 plus level 3 with the edge stuff I had, holy cow, economy? Dang!

120 race tune, good god......like i said, i need much more air to make that run like it should, egts max out fast and there is still lots of power to go. Doesnt take much to get to 1300 on the gauge.

Kinda weird getting used to non digital gauges, I do miss those. Espically my digital egt in the mornings, told me how cold it was out there, haha.

So now what do to with my turbo? Any suggestions? Is it even worth swaping housings on a stock turbo at this point? Or should I head the way of the ball bearing turbo? I can get 25 psi boost with the stocker right now, but its hating life, you can tell that.

Thanks guys for all your help through the last 6 months trying to figure things out. You guys are great. Thanks Rocky at Rockin S and thanks Jody at DP tuner, and thanks Clay at Riffraff.
Save your pennies and get a 38R You will be very happy that you did. Your set up is close to what I have and the SS and the 38R are a nice combo.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With Stage I's at this altitude, I would recommend a 38R instead of modifying the stock turbo. The 38R spools nicely.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
I went out and played around today, and im bummed now. I cant get to crazy with the go pedal, or my egts hit the roof. I think im limited by the turbo now. Even with Jodys 80e tune, i can peg 1300 without even thinking about it, heck the engine is still making power and I have to back out of it pretty quick.

How many degrees lower egts will the 38r turbo run at 5000 feet elevation?

Maybe end up having Jody live tune this thing this summer.

Anyone know of any dynos around Denver for grins?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
I when through Colorado heading east with a van turbo and heading west after installing a 38R and live tuning. There isn't any comparison, with the 38R I have much less smoke and EGT's were a non-issue. Of course this was along with the live tuning so I can't give any observations with only the 38R.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Clay, I heard that you have a free 38r colorado driver discount, and free delivery, beer and steaks are on me, let me know when your coming through again =)

I cant believe my stock turbo will hit 24-26 lbs of boost though, thats got to be really hard on that thing. What kills me is there is no MAP boost fooler on the truck right now and its hitting that much boost. Doesnt seem like the stocker will last long though like this.

Will the 38r work with an afe stage 2 intake via connections? Or would I need a new setup as far as an air filter goes, which Id probably entertain, Im sick of cleaning filters all the time, seems they get dirty really really fast.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Clay, I heard that you have a free 38r colorado driver discount, and free delivery, beer and steaks are on me, let me know when your coming through again =)

On my way man

I cant believe my stock turbo will hit 24-26 lbs of boost though, thats got to be really hard on that thing. What kills me is there is no MAP boost fooler on the truck right now and its hitting that much boost. Doesnt seem like the stocker will last long though like this.

Don't worry to much about the 24-26 lbs of boost, if you stocker is in good shape it should last for a while.

Will the 38r work with an afe stage 2 intake via connections? Or would I need a new setup as far as an air filter goes, which Id probably entertain, Im sick of cleaning filters all the time, seems they get dirty really really fast.

Yes, the 38R will drop in and work with your intake, no problem. If you want to swap try a 6637 before you invest more money or try a dry flow filter from AFE.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
How many degrees lower egts will the 38r turbo run at 5000 feet elevation?
38R will lower EGT's a bit. Slap in a 6.0L intercooler and that will help a little more.

EGT's and altitude go hand in hand. Airflow is king in these mountains!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another +1 for the 38R.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Sounds like a 38R is the one for you.

How many ponies will stage one's get you? I'm really wanting around 400 and don't want to break the bank for hybrids right. Sounds like something mild like these might be the way to go?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 03_PSD
Sounds like a 38R is the one for you.

How many ponies will stage one's get you? I'm really wanting around 400 and don't want to break the bank for hybrids right. Sounds like something mild like these might be the way to go?
Stage I's will get you 350 or so HP.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Good to know, thanks Curtis!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I talked with jody about my 80e tune going to 30psi, and he said it wasnt an issue. the stock turbo isnt as efficient after 26psi but as long as egt does not spike then its ok. Go with the 6liter ic if you can find one (you shoudl upgrade the stock couplers anyway)
Water injection is cheap as well, and that will increase boost a little and cool things down.
The research I have done, you will really like the 38r very much as long as your goals are not super crazy. It is a great rpm and power range, and it just bolts in place.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 injectors, dp tuner, gauges after action report