Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How To Replace Engine Boots?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 PM
fnx4wheeler
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
How To Replace Engine Boots?

I need to replace the lower boots (between turbo pedestal and intake). I will probably use the Dieselsite.com boots. My questions are, how much time does it take? Does anyone have instructions? Are there any other parts needed besides the boots and clamps for this project? I'm no pro, just a regular joe when it comes to wrenching skills.

thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They are really easy to get to. Take off the intake leader hose, take the 7/16" constant torque clamps off the intercooler boots at the intercooler, same with the spider boots, unscrew the AIH intake heater and remove wire, unscrew clamp on the turbo between the spider, unscrew bracket for the wastegate solenoid, and finally, unscrew the clamps for the boots... I dont have any pictures, but if you need some help, post back up and I can get you some pictures with explanations!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hopefully you shouldn't need any new clamps, time wise, hard to say. No more than a few hours if you aren't gooofin around or cleaning the valley or something.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 PM
WideOpenFord
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you mean the between the intake spyder and intake?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM
WideOpenFord
Senior User
camodown you beat me to it lol

Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 PM
WideOpenFord
Senior User
i got my boots from clay and they are ALOT harder to work into place that the soft factory ones, usefull tool is a small screwdriver to work the lip of the boot over the lip of the spyder and oh yea put the boots on the manifold first and the put the spyder on, i thought it was eaiser getting them on that way.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:02 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Name:  cotter pin puller.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  1.5 KB A cotter pin puller makes removing and installing hoses easier. You can work the hooked end around the hose to loosen it or guide the hose around the neck or pipe to install it.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great pic Roland, now thats an explaination. Clay's boots are the best I've seen, they are a little bit longer and need to be worked on but they have an airtight seal, great boots for the price..

Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Thanks, Mike. I have been using them for years on all kinds of hoses. I have a couple of different ones just for that.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice Roland, I didn't have one and ruined my paradental tooth pic to remove one of my my fuel sleeve's , need to get a couple of those.. They do come in handy.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:21 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you are going to replace the boots you should install these Plenum Reinforcing Inserts from Riffraff . Check out boots while you're there.

I have found that installing one boot on the plenum and the other boot on the spider things line up better and it makes it much easier.
Also, if you use the Riffraff plenum inserts, instead of regular hose clamps, you can use t-bolt clamps to get the boots real tight without
deforming the plenums and causing a boost leak. Just my 2¢.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 AM
64F260
Senior User
I just replaced all of my boots. It wasn't hard at all, I got mine from Dieselsite, they came with all new clamps that are bigger and better than stock. I was tired of the oilly leaking boots, and I did the ccv mod too so I won't have that problem again. The new boots are thicker and look to be better quality than the stock ones. I think I used a 7/16" deep well socket for the clamps. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:51 AM
fnx4wheeler
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated. I'll get to it after my parts come in.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:18 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by mueckster
Attachment 20889 A cotter pin puller makes removing and installing hoses easier. You can work the hooked end around the hose to loosen it or guide the hose around the neck or pipe to install it.
Reps! To a TRUE wrench turner! I've used cotter key removers for EVERYTHING! My fav is a Snap-ON unit, but I have a few craftsman too. Only the "old" parts guys will know what your talking about. Most people think it's a hook tool... it's not. With out fail, every time I've met someone who has one, and knows what it is and actually suppose to be for, have turned out to be excellent mechanics.

So to the OP, if you use one of these to do the deed, remember to be judicious with the "force" (like prying, pulling etc.) because the tool is STRONG, and will bend those flimsy intake plenums in two shakes of a stick. For hose removal, I try to sneak the tool between the "neck" and hose, then slide the hook around the neck, breaking the contact with the hose.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:30 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Thanks for the kind words and reps, Casper. The right tools can make easier work out of a difficult job. The cotter pin tool is one of the first things I grab when I'm working with clamped hoses.

Quick Reply: How To Replace Engine Boots?