Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Rants of Previouse Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:31 PM
kadrocker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omg that beer tap is so dumb! Hahaha. Sheesh!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Drac
Save the old ones

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to cut a flat bed off the frame as the PO welded it to the top of the frame rails.
Gee, Thanks, But you shouldn't have!!! DillWeed!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
c.l.nye
Elder User
try having to figure out why there are bullit holes( yes plural) going out through the roof and also down thru the floor. Both were shot gun blasts with bird shot.No holes in headliner just roof. The wiring thats run from front to back and go no where,had prob about 100' of "wire" from front bumper to rear.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How about some custom bodywork?

How about 1/4" of tape used to cover rust in the fenders?

Add to that the sheet metal that the PO screwed down OVER the original floor and padding, so that it trapped even more moisture and made the holes in the floor even bigger.

Oh, and let's not forget the custom white paint job on the interior and wheels. WITH LATEX HOUSE PAINT!!!

Once I get it finished, I'm looking forward to taking the truck back over to the PO's house and showing him what the truck has become, DESPITE HIS BEST EFFORTS!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:58 PM
GQROD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Latex house paint has to be my all time favorite

Next to ruddy brown primer letting you know exactly where all the rust is!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:13 PM
79F150400M
Laughing Gas
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
The Bud tap handle looks cool.....but not on a T-case lever!! I've seen the ol 8 ball and that's OK...but not the tap handle. I like hearing stories about what PO's do for Band-Aid fixes. When I run across them I'm always surprised they didn't get hurt or get into an accident.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Danny Stroup
Senior User
My List...so far:

1) Roof flashing pop riveted over the jute & rubber mat to cover gaping holes in the floorboard. That was a soggy and rusty mess to remove.

2) Under dash wiring...how can I even explain it?

3) Baling wire wrapped around throttle and kickdown linkage. Never figured out what they were supposed to do.

4) "L" shaped angle iron screwed into the bed floor at the tailgate to hold it to the bed sides.

5) Plastic bedliner over rusted bed to keep stuff from falling into the street.

6) No fan shroud...must have been removed because it posed a safety hazard.

7) Wire nuts everywhere. I imagine it was an electricians work truck at one time. He wasn't a very good electrician either.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
ok, i wont lie, ive use speaker wire to wire lights before, but we're talkin like 12 ga. stuff that can handle the current. and i connect everything with proper fasteners, so it might look like a noob did it, but i know nothin is goin wrong with it either. my 76 has entire wiring harnesses that dont plug in to anything, and are electrical taped to everything else, i cant track down the left front blinker wire to save my life, AND the best part: there was a house carpet cut to size and used as the floorboard carpet in it. i pulled it out to find that there were holes i could put my hand through in the floor boards from where it just held the water against the metal. also, no shifter boots. no head liner. none of the dash lights work except the left blinker, BUT, all the gauges but the speedo work. random wiring runnin everywhere that goes nowhere. basically, im just glad the dang thing runs so i can go screw around in it. its future holds a cummins BT4, a ZF6, and all new wiring!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Bowtie_Schmowtie

Add to that the sheet metal that the PO screwed down OVER the original floor and padding, so that it trapped even more moisture and made the holes in the floor even bigger.

Oh, and let's not forget the custom white paint job on the interior and wheels. WITH LATEX HOUSE PAINT!!!

Once I get it finished, I'm looking forward to taking the truck back over to the PO's house and showing him what the truck has become, DESPITE HIS BEST EFFORTS!
Funny thing is if you do take back and show the PO the truck, from now on he will go around telling everyone that "THAT" truck used to be "HIS" truck! (leaving out that it was a POS when he had it)

Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Damstr8
Senior User
The PO of my truck was a roofer. He made home made floor boards by using pop rivets, roofing tar, and some roofing galvanized roof splash. And remember when using roofing tar remember to coat both rusty sides to lock in the rust and moisture. Cause we don't want to leave any good metal in there to make patch panels later.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bowtie_Schmowtie

I guess taking the tape off would be easier than diging out pounds and pounds of bondo.

I guess I been lucky. I have one truck that was completely untouched by the po, nothing at all is hacked. One of the others use to be my Dad's so it isnt hacked up either. My Bronco had some hacking done to the heater and floor boards, nothing real bad.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Dave 77
New User
Ok I got a few to add. Flat bed made of rotten lumber. Chevy bucket seats monted to the floor with 2x4 wood spacers to keep them from leaning to the middle, and matching council from a blazer, not bolted down so it moves around. nails in break lines to block fluid flow to leaky wheel cylinders, try bleeding those when you have no rear brakes. Manual choke carb with no cable,and po says it does not start very good can't figure out why.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 PM
AirSmitty
Senior User
My truck had an "auxiliary cooler" the consisted of a pipe with a bunch of holes drilled in it sitting above the radiator to shoot water down onto it. The tank was a 2 gallon gas can with the water line siliconed into the bottom.

It wasn't the previous owner, but this definitely falls in with cheap fixes. My rear hub bearings kept getting wrecked and I chewed up the bearing race pretty bad. The mechanic decided he could fix it with a Diet Coke can, placing the can over the chewed up metal so the bearings could seat! I wondered why the bearing threw itself again a few months later. I got myself a junkyard axle, and haven't been to a mechanic since!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 PM
moose4x4
Cargo Master
Received 131 Likes on 110 Posts
Back in the days before bent steering arms for dana 44 front steering. They used to sell aluminum blocks that you put between the original arm and the steering knuckle, with longer studs to use with the tapered washers and nuts. A customer bought a truck and brought it in for me to check over. Found a homemade steering block out of 9/16 steel washers, three stacks of them about 4 inches tall, and welded down the side of the washers to hold them together. Wish I would have taken a picture of that. After that my customer wanted me to REALLY look it over.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:11 AM
davethecow
Elder User
In the 20 years ive had my f-100 ive rebuilt it over and over for one use or another...i still end up scratching my head wandering what i was thinkin.Now she is restored and staying that way.Ive got my jeep to beat on...if anybody buys that from me,they best not wonder where the roof or original parts went.

Quick Reply: Rants of Previouse Owners