6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

urea in new diesel trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Ak Ronnie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
urea in new diesel trucks

New Member, so excuse me if this topic has been discussed elsewhere. I was seriously considering buying the 2011 Ford 6.7 diesel, but now have several issues that nobody addressed and solved. Where I drive it cold in the winter, pulling loads to 10,000 lbs, park the truck for several days at below zero F & experience diesel gelling if not diluted. I think this fits a lot of drivers locations. Questions; If urea freezes at 11 degrees & the engine won't start to warm/thaw the tank and lines the truck is useless and somebody is going to die from exposure. How does adding more junk to a vehicle increase efficiency with less pollution ie look at the total not just a point exhaust sample for pollution. What about higher food costs from using urea in diesel trucks,remember ethanol. I think the EPA & Ford are NUTS on this one. Thanks for your comments.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ak Ronnie
New Member, so excuse me if this topic has been discussed elsewhere. I was seriously considering buying the 2011 Ford 6.7 diesel, but now have several issues that nobody addressed and solved. Where I drive it cold in the winter, pulling loads to 10,000 lbs, park the truck for several days at below zero F & experience diesel gelling if not diluted. I think this fits a lot of drivers locations. Questions; If urea freezes at 11 degrees & the engine won't start to warm/thaw the tank and lines the truck is useless and somebody is going to die from exposure. How does adding more junk to a vehicle increase efficiency with less pollution ie look at the total not just a point exhaust sample for pollution. What about higher food costs from using urea in diesel trucks,remember ethanol. I think the EPA & Ford are NUTS on this one. Thanks for your comments.
If the truck won't start in cold temperatures it has nothing to do with frozen urea. The urea is in a seperate tank and is injected into the exhaust stream after the DPF and before the SCR catalyst. The engine will operate with the urea tank frozen and at low temperatures there is a generous amount of time allowed before the urea needs to be fluid.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the site!
The chief engineer of the new diesel for Ford signed up on here and answered your question about the Urea freezing:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8409627
Originally Posted by ScorpV8
<O</OCan you elaborate on measures to keep it from freezing in the more severe climates?<O</O
The UREA tanks system, lines and injector are equipped with special heaters to make sure that under all operating conditions (all the way down to -40 degC) will always operate.
As for your statements about the EPA, I think we might all be in agreement on that one

Again, welcome!
Adrian

Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Ak Ronnie
New User
Thank you origcharger & IB Adrian for your help. I want Ford to be successful with the 6.7 diesel, & its reassuring that Ford technical engineers respond to this forum. Back in '67 I bought a new F-250 4X4 with a 360 V8 & it was rare to see a "high pickup" at Michigan State [lots of VW Bugs & Hippie junk] , Ford future thinking & engineering led the pack back then. With the fumbling of diesels after the 7.3 diesel I hate to admit I switched and bought a Dodge diesel in '05. Today, with government bailout- take overs of Dodge & GM my hats off to Ford for standing tall. I sure wish there was a way to beat this urea crap and EPA regs that are not in tune with the big picture.