1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

number plate bracket help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:34 AM
54truck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
number plate bracket help

Hi all got a number plate bracket that bolts to the rear light. the trouble is i cant bolt it on because the bracket hits the side of the pick up bed. could anyone give me some help please?? could it be that the light brackets are to short??

Old 01-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, a picture would be very helpful. Chances are you have you lights mounted too high on the stake pocket and/or you are using the short brackets instead of the long ones.

Here's a thread where we discussed this stuff a while back - might be helpful:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-location.html

Good luck

Old 01-31-2010, 01:40 PM
54truck
Senior User
Hi Julies i thought your be along to help lol, ive been looking at that link you put up and the bottom of your lights line up with the bottom of your bed. my lights are higher up than that could i of got the bracket the wrong way or something?? sorry i don't know how to post pictures cheers

Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Did you note the part about the three holes in the stake pocket? If you have the third hole, and the light bracket is mounted in the two upper ones, the plate bracket will interfere with the bottom of the stake pocket.

You may have your brackets installed upside down. When they are installed on the stake pocket, they should slope down to get to the light, not up.

If you need some different pics, let me know and I'll go out and take some!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 AM
peecubed
Senior User
I had the same problem on my '55. I ended up cutting about 3/8" - 1/2" off the end of the license plate bracket (at the bed side of it), welding it back up, scuffing it and shooting it rattle can black. It looks correct and leaves the plate almost completely visible. The year tag is a little obscured by the stake pocket, but I think its the best solution without completely fabbing your own license plate or light bracket.

For reference, I have the light bracket mounted in the upper two holes on the stake pocket, and the 'U' of the bracket facing downwards. The license plate bracket was slotted at the mount points for the plate, so other modifications to the bracket (besides the aforementioned cutting & welding) were necessary. My rear bumper is mounted at the stock location. I also put an 1/8" steel plate behind the license plate to keep it from getting bent - I know I hit it with my leg a bunch of times as I walked by, so I can only image what happens to it in a parking lot.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Yep, If you want it all to fit, with the 53-56 shield tail lights, you need to have the long, unbent tail light brackets, installed on the same two bolts as the tailgate pin bolts, on the front (toward the front of the truck) surface of the stake pocket, and they need to be pointing down - then the license plate and bracket will fit.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:16 AM
54truck
Senior User
i got my tail light brackets from mid fiftys and it didnt say there where short or long brackets. may have to try what peecubed said. As i dont want to buy any more brackets. um how annoying

Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 AM
peecubed
Senior User
Yeah, I don't remember a short/ long option either, but that was also a long time ago. Here's a few pictures of my set up.

Its dirty as crap right now, so there's alot of bad reflections. Ive been driving it like it was meant to be driven, lately. The second pic shows where I had to cut and weld. I did scratch my paint a bit while figuring out what clearance I needed, but the rest is just wax that I don't take the time to get off. The plate/bracket doesn't hit the bed as it is shown.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Yes as you can see your photo's confirm one of the problems I noted earlier. You have the brackets mounted on the two upper bolts. If you had mounted them on the two lower bolts - as I mentioned in post #4 you wouldn't have run into exactly the problem you have. I mentioned it again in post #6. You have the long, straight, brackets and you have the bracket mounted on the correct side of the stake pocket.

Again, read the thread from the link I left on post #2. It explains and has pictures of the different brackets. This is an issue that comes up with newer folks that weren't arouind the last time the question was asked and answered.

Here's the difference when they are mounted correctly on the lower two bolts - the same two that hold the tailgate pin:

Name:  C Passenger Side Tail Light Bracket and Wire Cover.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  E Trailer Plug.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  C Rear End with Tailgate in Primer, New Light and License Brackets.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  53.2 KB

Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 AM
peecubed
Senior User
Well, those brackets were installed about 3 years ago, so that forum post didn't exist at the time. And I did read all the posts in this thread. I didn't consider it a 'problem' or 'incorrect' to mount it on the upper two, nor am I a 'newer' folk. I value function over originality on my truck, and had I mounted it on the upper two bolts to make it as visible as possible from the rear. I was answering the guy's question with a solution that I didn't see anyone else present.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by peecubed
Well, those brackets were installed about 3 years ago, so that forum post didn't exist at the time. And I did read all the posts in this thread. I didn't consider it a 'problem' or 'incorrect' to mount it on the upper two, nor am I a 'newer' folk. I value function over originality on my truck, and had I mounted it on the upper two bolts to make it as visible as possible from the rear. I was answering the guy's question with a solution that I didn't see anyone else present.
Sure, I agree, but if you have to cut the bracket to get it to install, I would say that constitutes that there is a "problem" somewhere.

Solving one problem - trying to install the lights in a position where the plate bracket can't be mounted, (when there is another, more correct position to mount it) - but cutting the piece to fit when mounted incorrectly, doesn't seem like the best solution. Why not do it right and fix the problem instead of whacking a part to allow it to continue to be wrong? It's a matter of opinion I guess.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
peecubed
Senior User
Well, if I'm going to make my truck 'corect' or 'right' I think I have bigger issues to worry about than the license plate, like the chevy 350 and 200r4 in the drivetrain. I don't care how ford mounted it, if you can't see the license plate, then its not right to me. Original design was the problem, which I fixed.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by peecubed
Well, if I'm going to make my truck 'corect' or 'right' I think I have bigger issues to worry about than the license plate, like the chevy 350 and 200r4 in the drivetrain. I don't care how ford mounted it, if you can't see the license plate, then its not right to me. Original design was the problem, which I fixed.
You're absolutely correct. And I didn't mean stock, I just meant cutting parts to get them to fit. But what's most important is you did it how you wanted it to be - stock or not. Point is what might be right in my eyes may not be in yours and I do repsect that - it's your truck. If having it mounted that way is the way you want it, then it is right!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:56 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran intoa problem when ordering new brackets. They were snugger brackets for the rear bumper,and the plates were hitting the bumper.
I also had this problem with the plates,and just did what Julie said and all is fine now.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:04 AM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
I can see both sides addressing bumper or no bumper. Peecubed was trying to have a bumper and show the license plate and if Julie should ever decide to install a bumper she will have the same situation. As childern we cut our legs on that licence plate on dad's truck so he made a bracket much like you see on trucks that have a front license plate mounted on the front bumper. He had it close to the sheet metal below the tailgate hinge. He never had a license plate light but I would install a light for the feds. To each his own. chuck