Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Scangauge or AE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Scangauge or AE?

Trying to decide which one I want to get.
AE- more portable (not permanently mounted in the truck), a little more capability, but you have to drag the laptop out to do anything. Easy to swap to a different rig to pull codes etc.
Scangauge- needs to be mounted... quad pod or steering column pod? gives you 2 more parameters to monitor in the cab, not quite as capable as AE (data logging) and can't move it to another rig as easily.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Chase. I already used my AE on a few different truck to help people out. I think that sells itself. I can use it on my Ranger also.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Depends what you want to do, Chase. For me, it was a no-brainer. I was contemplating an HPOP pressure gauge and an oil temp gauge. By the time you buy those two, you can buy the Scan Gauge. I can now monitor the most important parameters of my truck compeltely (especially if you add a fuel pressure gauge). I may still buy AE, just because I want to do a little more with my truck and want to be able to data log.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:09 AM
SailCO26
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you covered it, Chase!

I've got an AeroForce/Terminator scan gauge in now, and love it. I'd like to eventually get an AE setup for more in-depth diags, but I think the scan gauge works better for "on-the-fly" monitoring of what the computer is seeing.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:14 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Chase, Joe and Jim have the right idea. Get both.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Both would be great......

Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Both is not an option, at least not right now.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:48 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
While the scan gauge is cool and does some neat stuff, it is not a diognostic tool. It is a gauge.

Get the AE and move on.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 AM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

Get the best of both worlds with a DashDaq! The functionality of AE in a tiny little box that you can customize as much or as little as you want.

DashDAQ - Features

Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by gbroehl1
Get the best of both worlds with a DashDaq! The functionality of AE in a tiny little box that you can customize as much or as little as you want.

DashDAQ - Features

Does it offer injector buzz tests or cylinder cont tests? Can you recallabrate for larger tires?

I see you can data log, does it have the ability to e-mail these?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by gbroehl1

DashDAQ - Features
Nice find Greg.....reps to you.

Hmmmm, I only spent 5 minutes on the website but I saw ICP, duty cycle, Cyl Rot Velocity, etc listed on the parameter list:

Dashdaq - Ford Data List

Have to do more homework on this box, but the initial look makes me think it is an option. Would like to hear about some personal experiences with a PSD.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:37 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
It's a bit pricey ($549), but it offers alot:

optional GPS
dowload different skins/gauge types
MP3 player
Video Player
data logging
diagnostics

Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Does it offer injector buzz tests or cylinder cont tests? Can you recallabrate for larger tires?

I see you can data log, does it have the ability to e-mail these?
No, it does not offer injector buzz tests, cylinder cont tests, or recalibrate for larger tires. The data log gets saved to an SD card that you can pop in your computer and do what ever you want with. It can also view and clear all PCM codes.

Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Hmmmm, I only spent 5 minutes on the website but I saw ICP, duty cycle, Cyl Rot Velocity, etc listed on the parameter list:

Dashdaq - Ford Data List

Have to do more homework on this box, but the initial look makes me think it is an option. Would like to hear about some personal experiences with a PSD.
When I get home from work in a couple of hours I will post up the list of devices that my DD found. It should be all the same info that AE is capable of seeing. I had the same issue with their web site prior to purchase and was not able to find anyone else with a 7.3 that had taken the plunge so I decided to be the first. With very few exceptions I have been very pleased with it. I have spent time creating custom gauges to match the stock gauges. I will also attach some pics of what my main screen looks like.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I am definitely interested Greg........I appreciate you giving us any feedback/experience you have.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
While the scan gauge is cool and does some neat stuff, it is not a diognostic tool. It is a gauge.

Get the AE and move on.
Gauges *are* diagnostic tools in that you use them to see what the truck is doing (or NOT doing, like my fuel pressure issue ). The ScanGauge will run CCT & Buzz Tests, read & reset codes, etc. It's a little of both. Like I said, instead of a cab full of gauges (no offense, Joe ), you can see just about everything you need to with one more gauge. The only things I recommend on top of the Scan Gauge is fuel pressure (I like my external mechanical for full-time monitoring), maybe LP oil pressure, and possibly coolant temp if you have the need. It reads oil temp out of the box, so coolant is something extra, and might be good if you run veggie oil and use coolant to heat it, for instance.

I never would've been able to see that my HPOP was dropping too much before, and is good now with the hybrids, for example without ScanGauge. Yes, that can be done with AE, but it is really nice to be able to see all that stuff "on demand" without having to screw with a laptop. My $0.02.

It's definitely worth the ~$250 or whatever it is -- but if you want the full enchilada, then AE is it.

BTW, since it monitors trans temp, you can trade off a dedicated gauge for that and put the SG in its place. It's not like Boost or EGTs where they change in seconds -- you can set the gauge to cycle through 8 things (four screens of two different items each). You can also watch your battery Voltage and know when your GPs are working, taking the place of wiring up a separate LED. I was going to do that mod, but since I started watching my Volts, it's no longer needed.

Quick Reply: Scangauge or AE?